Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Making your own rabbit mix

Old 08-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
studiobird

Hello

I am wondering if any of the members here could share the make up of their rabbit mixes that they make themselves? I am looking at making my own mix (currently I get it from a breeder) and I want to get some ideas about what other people feed.

I am specifically looking at bulk making, so large quantities.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears's Avatar

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont know anyone who makes their own pellets.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
studiobird

No, not making pellets, rather a mix of grains and such or does everyone only feed pellets to their rabbits?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears's Avatar

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I feed Timothy Pellets, Timothy Hay and Orchard Grass.
They also get some Veggies.
They are house rabbits so they dont need grains with there pellets

Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
kirbyultra

Rabbits

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hmm me too, my rabbits get pellets and hay and fresh greens. Sometimes for coat conditioning I'll give him a pinch of oats with their pellets but that's more or less it. Do you feed them grains as a treat?

Kirby, Toby and Penny rule my life.
King Kirby's Rabbit Nation Blog: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f18/king-kirbys-rabbit-nation-2011-a-57801/

Old 08-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
irishbunny

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I know a lot of people make their own mixes for animals like rats/mice/hamsters plus a lot of horse owners do and their diets are fairly similiar. I'd love to find out if anyone has come up with their own, healthy mix

Old 08-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
akane

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Horses and rabbits really aren't designed to do well on grains. The most knowledgeable owners and vets I know do not use any grains for horses. They supplement with things like black oil sunflower seeds and beet pulp. The entire member base of a really good horse forum do not use grains. The diet of animals like horses, rabbits, and guinea pigs should consist of hay and fresh greens with the pellets containing mostly alfalfa, timothy or another hay and supplements. I know someone that makes their own pellets and sells them and if she could she would not include any grains but a certain amount is required to get it to go through the machine and keep it's shape.

If you do give grains oat, wheat, and barley are the safest.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
studiobird

That's interesting.

Here is a picture of a rabbit mix you can buy at a produce store, and while it is not what I am planning, it is close

http://www.petandgarden.com.au/Conte...ges/131884.jpg

I'm looking at Rabbit Pellets (45%), Oaten and Wheaten Chaff (40%) with a small amount of Lucerne Chaff for winter (5%) and then a small amount of commercial rabbit grain mix (10%). Or something close.

If I could buy some equine pellets cheap I would add that too, but I would have to buy a whole bulk bag, and as it is I am not sure our rabbits will go through the bulk rabbit pellets in the 3 months recommended.

They are given oaten hay each day as well on top of all that. They also get fresh food a couple of times a week, but most of the time they refuse to eat it. The baby is the only one who eats fresh.

They have been raised on a mix of pellets/chaff/seed which is why I would like to continue (as they are doing fabulously on it).

Thanks for all the input, I will research it some more!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
ninetoes01

It looks like you are doing your research, and learning lots, which is awesome. But I do have a question, because I am trying to learn a little bit more (or what little people seem to know) about rabbit nutrition.
I was under the impression that corn was something that was really bad to have in a rabbit diet, and the less options there are for them to choose from in the mix, the better. The reason why I heard corn was bad, is because when it is dehydrated, it often has a mold in it, so it is best to stay away from these mixes. What have you learned about this, and can you please tell me if I'm wrong? Thanks so much!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
studiobird

I know that picture shows corn in it, but it is not typical (I just grabbed the picture as it was big and showed other things other than pellets). Even in commercial rabbit mixes in Australia there seems to be limited amount of corn.

I never fed it with my rats and mice, and don't plan on adding it to a rabbit mix. It is too unpredictable and unstable, especially if you have a forager who digs through their food on the cage floor the corn spoils too easy if it gets wet. Other grains are protected a little by their outer shell.