Bald spot with scabs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
I noticed behind Bentley's head there was sorta a bald spot so I pushed his fur back and there's a scab, a red dot and thin cuts like slits. I put Neosporin on them but what could that be from. It's in only that area and I checked for flea's but didn't see any not sure how he would get them anyway. What's your thought.

the bald spot could be caused by mites which often are invisible ; the slits and red spot are probably from his nails scratching the area.

is he molting?. Bunnies can get bald spots during a molt?

He could be treated with selamectin/Revolution as a precaution as mites often do not show up even on slides.

Thanks so much! I'm frantic being a Holiday weekend I'm hoping the vet is there today. I know he is shedding something fierce but I don't like the way it looks.

I made an appointment for tomorrow that was the earliest so I have to wait another day. I'm also thinking when I open his pen door he always goes under it and the bottom of it is rough maybe he's scratching myself. I just hope it's not contagious and I have to treat my other bunny and cat. OY

It sounds like it could also be ringworm. Since you have cats and another bun, it might be good to have a vet look at it to make sure that's not what it is. I know cats are highly susceptible to ringworm.

Do you have a pic?

This is a list of a variety of rabbit skin diseases and their symptoms.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/differential_diagnosis.htm

The vet took a skin sample and nothing came up but he feels its a parasite. So he gave Bentley Ivomec and he'll be on it once a wk for 4 wks. I have to call in a few wks to let him know if it's better or not.

My other rabbit is separated from Bentley they don't get along and he feels my cat also will be ok. I checked them both and didn't see anything on their necks or ears. I hate this not really knowing what the heck it is.

Thanks ALL for your help I'll keep you posted on Bentley.

I have a quarantined kitten right now with active ringworm.. and a nice camera.. anybody interested in some pics for comparison?

Last nite I checked his neck and it looks great a lot better. Didn't think it would clear up so quickly unless it was him rubbing under his pen door which I moved so he can't squeeze under it.

Latest posts

Back