Sweet Meadow timothy hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
My shipment of Sweet Meadow hay came and I just opened it up... I'm a little alarmed because it looks more like hay with herbs than just timothy hay. I just wanted to know, for those of you who feed Sweet Meadow hay, does it looks like this?

IMG_0089.jpg

It's got a lot of these little flower things in it, and a lot of leaves that I can't identify... it makes me nervous to feed it. Is this what their timothy hay is supposed to look like?:?

When I get hay from Oxbow or Kleenmama, it's just hay... sometimes there's some other stuff mixed in but not to this extreme.

I'm not sure about the leaves, but I think that's a dried marigold in there. My bun loves the Kaytee Timothy with dried marigolds - I mix it up with more plain timothy to stretch it out.

Hi -- I believe you have picked out red clover. This is my bunnies' favorite hay! And they have tried every imaginable variety. Yes, ours comes with leaves and all that other stuff in it. They love it, so I assume it is all ok.

reevesn wrote:
Hi -- I believe you have picked out red clover. This is my bunnies' favorite hay! And they have tried every imaginable variety. Yes, ours comes with leaves and all that other stuff in it. They love it, so I assume it is all ok.

:yeahthat:

A little clover mixed in with the hay is fine.

Clover, eh? Explains why the buns :hearts the hay so much with all the stuff in it! Thanks!

Variety is really so much better for bunnies than straight timothy, I'd say it's a bonus!

If you have obese rabbits and you're worried about added calories, or bunnies with bladder sludge/stones that need lower calcium, just mix it with timothy, but I'd still keep feeding it.

I really don't agree with the current trend where everybody recommends just timothy hay.

sas :)

We mix it up here in the rabbit nation too, but I do the mixing myself ;) You're right, it is a bonus.

When it comes to clover and stuff, I'm concerned more with calcium. I am still not sure if Penny is having a calcium and bladder issue that I've temporarily alleviated... so I don't feed her any high calcium stuff.

Kim1218 wrote:
I'm not sure about the leaves, but I think that's a dried marigold in there. My bun loves the Kaytee Timothy with dried marigolds - I mix it up with more plain timothy to stretch it out.
I saw the Kaytee with marigolds the other day and I was wondering about it. What are the benefits of the marigold?

kirbyultra wrote:
When it comes to clover and stuff, I'm concerned more with calcium. I am still not sure if Penny is having a calcium and bladder issue that I've temporarily alleviated... so I don't feed her any high calcium stuff.
Ah, good point. Clover is very high in calcium. While I don't generally micro-manage my veggies for calcium content for my 'white pee' buns (other than the top of the heap like collards and mustard greens), dried sources like clover and alfalfa is another story.

I'll edit my above post to include bladder sludge/stones bunnies along side the obese reference.

sas :thanks:

~*sAbRiNa*~ wrote:
Kim1218 wrote:
I saw the Kaytee with marigolds the other day and I was wondering about it. What are the benefits of the marigold?
It's supposed to be an antioxidant, but I think it's mostly just a tasty addition for the buns.

I used a mixed grass hay that has flowers and sticks and such mixed in. The bunnies love it, and the harder stalks of hay are good for them to chew on. :)

Question:

We have this new hay at work and I have been toying with the thought of buying it for awhile now. These are the ingredients -- Timothy hay, Calendula flowers, Chamomile flowers, Wheat Middlings (I'm most unsure about that), Alfalfa meal, Rose petals, Rasperry leaf, Peppermint leaf, Dandelion leaf.

Any thoughts?

bunnylove817 wrote:
Question:

We have this new hay at work and I have been toying with the thought of buying it for awhile now. These are the ingredients -- Timothy hay, Calendula flowers, Chamomile flowers, Wheat Middlings (I'm most unsure about that), Alfalfa meal, Rose petals, Rasperry leaf, Peppermint leaf, Dandelion leaf.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like bunny heaven to me!

Rebekah what brand of hay is that you are talking about. Mine would love it, probably can't get it here in Canada.

My Buttercup LOVESMarigolds. I usually plant some for him, heeats them up in no time .

Susan:)

Thanks Rebekah, my Pet store sells that brand, I will get him to order it for me. My Babies will go nuts for it.

Susan:weee::party0002::bunnybutt::rabbithop:happyrabbit::bunny18:apollo:

Latest posts

Back