Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bummblebee

Reaction score
Where do u store your bails of hay?

Freckles my rabbit has had diarreha and im thinking it could be from her bail of hay the hay seem like it has moisture in I keep it stored in my garage on the floor.

I read somewhere you should not keep it stored directly on the floor is this true should I put a tarp or plastic down first is it inevatable that its gonna get damp feeling since the weather goes from rainy to hot to cool Is there something I should do to keep my hay dry?

I do a few different things. If it's a huge bale I usually set it on top of something like a bench with a tarp so it's off the ground and protected a little. If it's something I ordered from Kleenmama or Oxbow then I keep it in the huge cardboard box it came in with the top open. I also sometimes put hay in very large tupperware containers with the top open. A little moisture in the air wont hurt it, but you dont want it to get actually wet so that it will mold.

storage of bales,timothy/orchard grasses,,the area shall be-cool,dry,free of dirt,bugs,sunlight,,like a sack of spuds.//.never feed moldy,buggy,dirty,grasses to a rabbit--their health shall be impaired...sincerely james waller

I use a plastic storage bin with the top on, but not sealed, so that there is some air flow. For a bale, you do want to keep it up off the ground a little for airflow and make sure it can stay dry. As long as it's not in an airtight container, it shouldn't be able to get moldy.

I use a feed bag but then I don't store much at a time because I just walk over to the neighboors for more when I need it.

Latest posts

Back