Diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bummblebee

Reaction score
Freckles Rex Doe approxamently 1 1/2 yrs ols has 4 kits that are 3 weeks old Is having Diarrhea.

She had normal stools this morning when I fed her at about 8am I noticed the diarrhea about 11:30ish pm

She has been eating Hay pellets Romain lettuce nd the kits alf alfa hay.

What should I do to help stop the diarrhea?

What should I use to clean the diarrhea thats gotten on her coat.

I removed the kits because they would have walked through the poop mess when should I return them?

What is diarrhea a sign of?

Any help will be appreciated thanx:(

Do the kits have diarrhea or just the mother? You need to restrict her to just hay and water for a bit. Can you tell if they're runny cecals or true diarrhea?

Keep her separated from the kits for a bit until its figured out.

Check the Library link, here:

Diarrhea

sas :clover:

Okay, if she had normal stools in the morning, its probably cecals from something she ate.

You can wipe her down with a damp cloth and if her bum is really poopy, sit her in a few inches of slightly warm water to soak it off. Normally I'd say to give her a treat to keep her still but she really needs to not have any treats or alfalfa until this is under control.

Can you get her a pro-biotic like Benebac? Even better, if you can get a product called 'Bio-Sponge', a paste in a tube for small animals, or a powder for horses, than may help a lot.

It's probably diet-related but it also may be coccidia or something else pretty nasty. Another good 'just in case' treatment is Ponazuril for coccidiosis. If you have a horse vet nearby, you can get all these things.

You really have to clean the housing thoroughly. Take the kits out, throw out any hay, food, litter, scrub down the pen/cage with a bit of bleach in water, let it dry well and air out for awhile, and start fresh.

And that's not to say the diet-related version isn't serious, cecal dysbiosis can be a big problem.

How is she acting?

Ok so here is a picture of her normal poop from this morning when I fed her at about 8am then this is what I found and smelled at 11:30is when I went to check on all my bunnies and had no idea anything was wrong till I spoted the diarreha.

In the pic u can see her normal stool and the runny one also u can see the babies tiny bunny poop
This is her litter pan

sick010.jpg

So it's 1:52 now and there are no new signs of Diarreha yet or normal poop for that matter.

All together from what I could tell she had 4 Diarreha accidents one in the picture one on the cage floor one in the nest box area and one in the hay area I removed all of these and removed the kits put in new Timothy hay.

To the eye she looks fine but I read rabbits do this because they are prey so I dont know by looking at her she looks fine she is in a sitting position Hunched together not Bunny flopped out (Which she ussualy is bunny flopped)

The babies have normall poop
Benibac and Bio sponge Im sure I could find a horse vet in my area in Ohio if I had to go that route should I wait to see how her poop looks when she has another one I guess what is a time frame I should give her before I take action with some of the items Pipp suggested

It sounds like she might have some pain in her belly. If you're sure the diarrhea is from her, I would restrict her to a hay, water, and pedialyte diet until it clears up. You may consider giving her metronidazole (flagyl) if you have it on hand, and some probiotic and Bio-Sponge would be great. A de-wormer probably wouldn't hurt either, but if you have Flagyl that will probably take care of it.

Make sure the babies at least get to feed from mom even if they're separated.

I'd get the Bene-bac and Bio-Sponge very soon because with kits that age, you never know when you'll need it, and when you do, you will need it immediately.

I think she'll be okay after a day of just hay and water. She needs a ton of protein, so you don't want to restrict her too long.

I put the kits back with momma Ill just keep checking often to make sure all is well thanx for the help Ill keep u updated she was laying out when I went out a min ago so she looks more relaxed

Now since noon she hasnt pooped at all is this normal to go from Diarreha to no poop at all?

checked her again at about 8pm she has had some regular poop not quit as hard as it should be but no longer the runs. Hope shes alright and this will pass it seems like its going as quick as it came. I inspected everything and think it may have been due to my hay being damp to the touch. Like there is moisture in it. Dont know if this is it but im going for a new bail tomorrow

Pipp wrote:
I think she'll be okay after a day of just hay and water. She needs a ton of protein, so you don't want to restrict her too long.

Just want to clarify that excess protein is not recommended (should be no more than 18% of the diet). It's also important not to restrict her carbs excessively while she's nursing.

Sounds like she's doing ok now - otherwise dehydration would have been a major concern.

Latest posts

Back