New baby bunny....(rip)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fahrenheit

Reaction score

Description (Breed, color, weight): Dwarf Hotot, 6.5 ounces

Sex: unknown

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:
I had been looking for a dwarf hotot for months and could never find a breeder close enough to me that i could drive to and i didn't want one shipped to me. So I went looking around at pet stores (i know shame on me) My boyfriend and me bought Tempo (the baby) Friday night, but didn't take him home until Saturday night at close to 8:30pm. We bought him around this time as a funny mothers day gift. (i dont want kids yet and all of my friends have kids literally) Anyways, Tempo seemed normal to me. He was a calm bunny and never minded me holding him. I get home, set up his cage immediately, give him food, water with Oasis wettail that the manager toldme to put in his water, and hay. He was munching on the hay, i don't recallever seeing him eat the pellets or drink from the water bottle. He did poo and they looked normal. I fell asleep shortly after putting him in the cage as I hadn't slept in 46 hours. Woke up around noon on Sunday (mothersday) saw that pellets were gone and the water was lower in the bottle. So I figured he was doing fine. headed off to church at 5pm got back at 6:30pm. Went ahead and gave him a cup of water so he had multiple water sources. He started drinking from the cup like crazy! I didn't think anything of it so I started my online exam. Not 10 minutes into it I look over at Tempo and he was sleeping odd. Kinda propped against the cup on his back. I take him out of the cage and he just falls over repeatedly. It looked a lot like the dead bunny flop. I started freaking out, rushed him to the emergency vet just 3 blocks from me. I wait about 15 minutes then they tell me to go to Arlington to get some medicine. Hitting close to 100mph down the highway i get a call not 3 minutes later saying Tempo was seizuring and while having me on the phone he had died. The vet i took him too doesnt speacialize in rabbits but they did treat some for some cases. They couldn't give me an explanation as to what might have caused my baby to die not even 24 hours after I got him. they just told me he had a low temperature (98.2) and pulse was 300, he was skinny, and that he was sick for a while.
I have become unreasonably skeptical about everyone from the pet store even to that clinic. I need some logical answers to set my mind at ease. It even pains me to play with my other baby...

I'm so sorry. Pet stores are pure evil. She was probably sold too young for one thing, but untrained pet store staff make things so much worse. Please follow this up to help other rabbits in the future.

From the Oasis website...

OASIS WET-TAIL DROPS™

LIQUID ANTIBIOTIC TREATMENT FOR WET TAIL DISEASE
ORANGE FLAVORED

Active Ingredient: Neomycin Sulfate equivalent to not less than 20 mg/mL of Oasis

Wet-Tail Drops™. Disease Prevention: When changing diet or habitat, shipping or receiving new animals, use 15 mL Oasis Wet-Tail Drops in 4 ounces of drinking water for three to five days.

Precautions: Keep out of reach of children. Store in cool dry place. For use with pet animals only.

Not recommended for use with non-rodents or rabbits.

sas :sad:

Ugh, I hate Pet Stores! :X

I would definitely call the pet store, complain, and let them know that the Oasis Wet-Tail Product they recommend to give to bunnies is actually NOT recommended for use in Rabbit's according to the makers. Sadly, it's probably what killed your baby. I would print out the web page which can be foundHere and highlight where it says not recommended for use in non rodents or rabbits. I would also bring them a copy of your vet bill and recipe you got when purchasing the bunny.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Binky Free Tempo :rainbow:

The only way I found out to not give it to my new baby is from another pet store owner, he was the one that told me to be very cautious. The clinic I took Tempo too didn't charge me. And I had called the pet store and told them, all they kept saying was " well he was doing fine when he was here. all we can do is replace him." I'm beyond aggravated with them, and the only reason im allowing them to "replace" Tempo is because they can find another hotot. This time for sure the baby will go directly to the vet once I get him...

That's why I would print it out from the manufacturers website where it states that it's not recommended for use in Rabbits otherwise this will happen again to more buns. I'm surprised you are letting them send you a replacement. I bought a baby lionhead from a breeder once that developed seizures and ended up dieing at the emergency vet before his first birthday. She offered to replace him but I said no way. I didn't want to risk the same thing happening or her thinking I still support her as a breeder. :(

That's great you will be taking him to the vet right away, good luck.

I agree that the Oasis certainly didn't help and should not be given to rabbits. The antibiotic in it can be toxic to the kidneys and can cause problems for the brain communicating with the muscles. It's hard to say if that's exactly what led to your bun's demise, unfortunately, but it is a likely candidate in my book. Drinking a lot of water can be a sign of kidney issues. It's here on the safe drugs list under neomycin.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

Happi Bun: I dont fathom the idea of supporting her either, but i hope that i can get this bun, take it to the vet and it will be safe.. the current one i have hasnt bonded with me. and hes more my boyfriends since hes the one that wanted this one. i know all of this might be noobish but i am, last rabbit i had was 8 years ao, i was 13 then so im learning as much as i can with the access i have. this forum has really helped. thank you

Latest posts

Back