What does a molting rabbit look like?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
Are they bald, are they like dogs and just horribly poofy, a bit of both?

I'd like to see pictures if possible.

How bad does it get and do ALL rabbits molt?

All rabbits do molt, but how bad it looks is different from bun to bun. I've never seen Otto look really horrible, though he tends to look a little disheveled when he's really shedding - like his fur is a couple different lengths and a bit messy.

I've seen other bunnies who get tufts sticking out all over. Brushing helps, but some buns will always look a bit ridiculous when they're shedding.

I haven't seen any that molt down to bald patches, but I do know a rex owner who sees them occasionally on her boy when his fur sheds out faster than it can grow back in.

The buns I have seen molt do it in a somewhat subtle way. Other than the clumps of fur coming out when you pet them, you can't visually "tell" unless you're looking for loose fur. If you groom diligently to help them along, there can be bald patches. Some buns molt in bald patches too, but I haven't seen it.

My own buns look a bit fluffy when they start to molt and then midway through it they start to look less fluffy and their fur looks messy and sloppy.

Sometimes they form a line in the coat between the old coat and the new coat growing in. Kirby has one right now (where the dull black and shiny black meet), and Penny had a very pronounced one a month ago (where the agouti met the lighter brown, there's a bald-ish line of gray).
DSC_0575.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg
Penny even totally different colors going. She doesn't look this brown now at all now that her new coat has grown in.
DSC_0402.jpg

BTW, my Toby is constantly shedding fur and he looks normal. You can't tell at all until you put your hand on him. Your hand will be covered in loose white fur, but he looks like a normal bunny.

I've noticed agoutis tend to get the really strong shed lines - you can tell exactly where the new fur meets the old fur. I can only sometimes see that on my other bun.

Chloe loses big tufts of hair at a time. I don't think I have a picture of it, but the first time she molted after I got her, she lost all of the long furs from the top of her head except for a thin line straight down the middle.....and in case you were wondering, yes, bunnies look VERY silly with mohawks.
She also works very hard to pull loose tufts out on her own due to her constant grooming, but then she builds loose fur up into a big fluffy hair ball which tends to get stuck right on her forehead.

Ookpik gets a shed line that moves from top to bottom with a few tufts towards the bottom:
BunnehsShiseido078.jpg

Her shed line is right down by her butt.

Newt gets tufts sticking out all over:
100_1195.jpg

It gets even worse than in the picture. I have to pluck, pluck, pluck or his cage gets a lining of fur all around it, lol.

:biggrin2:

~Diana

One member, named khermann, accurately describes the butt shedding phenomenon as "cactus butt" LOL

I personally can't resist plucking out a cactus butt when I see it. The buns are offended by my doing this because it means they've "missed a spot" ;)

lol I love the cactus butt! My buns also get offended when I do that and run off.

Both of my rabbits look horrible when they molt. They look mangy and like I don't take care of them. I hate molting lol.

Amy27 wrote:
lol I love the cactus butt! My buns also get offended when I do that and run off.

Both of my rabbits look horrible when they molt. They look mangy and like I don't take care of them. I hate molting lol.

lol - my rexes tend to do the cactus butt moult, with the occasional tufty face. my first buck, also a rex, used to look like he was wearing a tutu.

i do groom them but they really take offense. their moulting also seems to be ongoing. i dont get complete moults:?

Scone seems to vary from molt to molt, with the Summer-to-Winter-Coat sheds in August-September being the worst. He's only had shed lines once, around his face. Most of the time it's just loose fur with occasional upstanding tufts, especially around his neck and backside.

He's finishing up his Spring molt now, with just a bunch of loose fur left sticking out of his butt. As others have noted, he resents my plucking that out, but I can usually get away with it if I'm holding him and petting at the same time.

Acacia seems to always be shedding!! Pick her up and pet her and you'll get some. When she really wants to be bad she molts completely in mid-summer when your face is all sticky and its humid and mid-autumn when its warm and dry inside so both times its super irritating to the face!!
Akina is my mini-rex but I've n.e.v.e.r seen a molt I didnt think rexes even molted because of their lack of the overcoat!! o_O

It depends on the rabbits. My castor does molt so gently they don't look like they are molting. The otters, blacks and brokens look like a porcupine when they are molting. My Angus buck drops his fur like he is taking off his clothes. I thought it was a doe pulling fur to kindle the other day when I looked in his cage. There was fur everywere. I took him outside and plucked him.

Roger

image.jpg Hi, can anyone help me? I’m really worried about Marley my mini Rex bun. Is this normal??? He seems more sensitive to touch than normal too. I’ve never seen a rabbit moly like this before

Latest posts

Back