Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Rabbits drinking their pee?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
nicolevins
 
nicolevins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dublin, , Ireland
Posts: 928
Default

Lately my rabbits have been drinking their pee. I don't know why.. there has been no "change" in their diet so I highly doubt that it is loss of nutrients.

Probably a simple answer lol. I could of used Google but I wanted a reliable answer



__________________
nicolevins is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
james waller
 
james waller's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KENT, Washington, USA
Posts: 1,155
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

nicolevins wrote:
Quote:
Lately my rabbits have been drinking their pee. I don't know why.. there has been no "change" in their diet so I highly doubt that it is loss of nutrients.

Probably a simple answer lol. I could of used Google but I wanted a reliable answer
cannot think of any medical benefits,-(recycling)-,though there was something simular done with african children who had some disorder and their own pee was used/swabbed into the mouth to correct the problem.//.myself i havenot tried this,-,i would probably die first.....sincerely james waller


__________________
james waller is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Amy27
Task Force
 
Amy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,996
Likes Given: 3

Default

When you say drinking it you mean they urinate and then turn around and lick it up? Or are they like urinating on something, like in their water bowel and then drinking it?

I don't think I have heard of a rabbit drinking their urine. Though I know mine go on their hay and then eat it. I have read threads here where the rabbits go in their water and then drink the water.

__________________
Amy27 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
nicolevins
 
nicolevins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dublin, , Ireland
Posts: 928
Default

Amy27 wrote:

Quote:
When you say drinking it you mean they urinate and then turn around and lick it up? Or are they like urinating on something, like in their water bowel and then drinking it?

I don't think I have heard of a rabbit drinking their urine. Though I know mine go on their hay and then eat it. I have read threads here where the rabbits go in their water and then drink the water.
Sometimes they pee then turn around and drink it.
Other times they would pee, walk away then suddenly find it and drink it.

It happens like 3 times a week, I'm not sure why they do it though
__________________
nicolevins is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 AM   #5
Amy27
Task Force
 
Amy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,996
Likes Given: 3

Default

Nicole,
I hope someone else with more experience will come along and let you know if this is normal. I have never heard of a rabbit doing this, but there isn't a lot I haven't heard of lol. I know that I have never seen my rabbits do that.

__________________
Amy27 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
Amy27
Task Force
 
Amy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,996
Likes Given: 3

Default

Here is a previous thread I found about rabbits drinking their urine. Hope this helps.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_to...drinking+urine

__________________
Amy27 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
tonyshuman
 
tonyshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Durham, NC, USA
Posts: 10,371
Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

I have seen a few bunnies do it. Yours do it a bit more often than I'd like, personally. Are they not very litter-trained? I would just suggest training them so they only pee in the box, and then it gets absorbed into the litter pan material immediately. If they are having incontinence issues all of a sudden it could be a sign of a urinary problem.

__________________
tonyshuman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
nicolevins
 
nicolevins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dublin, , Ireland
Posts: 928
Default

Thanks Amy

Claire, they were litter trained but I got tired of cleaning it out everyday so I got rid of it (in January).

The drinking the urine thing has only been going on a couple of weeks now and it's on and off.

Do you think that they are trying to "clean it"?
I could always get them back into using one

__________________
nicolevins is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
tonyshuman
 
tonyshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Durham, NC, USA
Posts: 10,371
Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

LOL I clean out my guys' litterbox once a week. They have several, all next to each other, and they don't really smell. I would try to get your guys back with a litterbox. How are you dealing with their waste now? Do they have a wire bottom cage? They really shouldn't just be peeing on the floor if they have a solid-floored cage. Also, do they have water available at all times, and do you know for sure that they will use whatever system you have for it? Some bunnies don't do bottles, and some don't like crocks.

__________________
tonyshuman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
nicolevins
 
nicolevins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dublin, , Ireland
Posts: 928
Default

tonyshuman wrote:
Quote:
LOL I clean out my guys' litterbox once a week. They have several, all next to each other, and they don't really smell. I would try to get your guys back with a litterbox. How are you dealing with their waste now? Do they have a wire bottom cage? They really shouldn't just be peeing on the floor if they have a solid-floored cage. Also, do they have water available at all times, and do you know for sure that they will use whatever system you have for it? Some bunnies don't do bottles, and some don't like crocks.
What I used to do was scoop out the poops (with my hand :grumpy lol).

They have a solid bottom floor (with wood chips) and I remove the urine spots every 2/3 days. Recently, they have moved into a small shed so they have more room to poop and pee, lol.
They are in the garden from 10am - 8pm and the shed door is left open because they always go back to cage to pee.

They have a bottle for their water in the cage and a bowl out in the garden.
They do know how to use the bottle (they're using a bottle since before I got them) and they definitely know how to use the water bowl (resembles food )

I will keep an extra eye on them to make sure they are drinking the water.
I'll also ask my dad to keep an eye on them during feeding times.

Thank you Claire


__________________
nicolevins is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump