Water Bottles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamr0cker

Reaction score
Hello!

I've had my mini lop, Barnaby, for going on 3 years (but I am new to the forum). Ever since I have had him, I have not found a bottle that doesn't leak.

His current bottle leaks so much, that mushrooms will begin to grow underneath where it leaks.

Does anyone know of a specific bottle that does not leak or leaks very little?

Thanks! :bunnydance:

shamr0cker wrote:
Hello!

I've had my mini lop, Barnaby, for going on 3 years (but I am new to the forum). Ever since I have had him, I have not found a bottle that doesn't leak.

His current bottle leaks so much, that mushrooms will begin to grow underneath where it leaks.

Does anyone know of a specific bottle that does not leak or leaks very little?

Thanks! :bunnydance:

I am welcome to the forum. The only thing I have found is a Bowl of water.
For most rabbits a bowl is more natural anyway. My bun Storm drinks more water from a bowl then a bottle.

You can buy the ones that connect to the cage so they cant tip them over.

Buts as for brands of bottle I have tried a few with the two rabbit I have had. Just throwing another idea your way. Or you could put a bowl under the water bottle.

Welcome to the forum.
Kat:bunnydance:

Mine leaks all the time, making zentors cage wet on the plastic. Its so annoying and just not clean. So I was actually looking into getting one of thoes dog bowl things with the water bottle attached. its like the water bottle is upsidedown and it attaches to a bowl that the water slowly goes into as they drink it. that way you dont have to keep refilling just a small bowl of water and it seems to be easy and doesnt leak. I have yet to buy one but im very interested. Heres a picture i found online:
ppe_automatic_water.jpg

Hi and welcome to RO! Be sure to introduce yourself in our Introductions section.

My concern with those dog kinds is that I'm pretty sure my buns would slam into it and tip it over.

There are two basic kind of bottle tips. The sort with the ballbearing and the kind that have a metal rod inside of a tube. The latter is supposed to leak less, but my rabbits refused to use it.
I know many of our members have had a lot of luck with the water buddy.

I'm guessing from the mushrooms that you're keeping your rabbit outside, is that correct? (As fascinated as I am by fungi, I like to keep mine outside too.)

The water bottle that about 90% of rabbit owners (and other small animal owners) use in the UK/Ireland is a brand called ''Classic''. Almost everyone who owns a small caged pet here uses these, breeders and pet owners alike. Right now, I have about six in use, and have had about 20 of them over the years. Never bought one that leaked, here is a picture, they are very reliable. Not sure if they have them over there but worth a look :)

http://www.bitsforpets.com/images/classic-water-bottles.jpg

I use a dog-type water bowl with an upside-down container like Alora mentioned. Kirby has managed to knock it over maybe 3 times in 6 months but I've been near every time. I've learned she can't knock it over in the corner and I could always zip tie it to the cage if I felt that was necessary. The more full it is, the heavier, and the harder to knock over.
It works well for us and it keeps her water full all the time! :)

I use a fairly basic water bottle:

LB_32_350_LB_16_345_LB_8_340_MAIN.jpg

It used to drip quite a bit, but I found that if, after I filled it, I turned the bottle spout down over the sink anddepressed the ball bearingto allow the air out, it leaked a LOT less (I mean barely any drippage at all!).Doing this produces quite the squirt of water! But then you can replace it on the cage without worrying about a huge puddle forming underneath it.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Rue i use that same kind

honestly what i have found is that yes, water bottles do leak. but if you refill the water bottle each day, and fill it completely to the top, then when you put it on the cage, tap the ball a few times (yes, water will come out, but not that much), then it has a better chance of creating the suction that is needed to keep it from constantly leaking.

if i gave chaucer a bowl, he would play in his water all the time. he likes water to much. winnie has both. she has a bottle on her cage, and we normally keep a bowl of water in the kitchen for her (she is free range), but she prefers to drink out of her bottle

When i was fostering Benny he came with a water bottle that doesnt leak!!!!!! yes there is one, it has a sort of pin that sticks out instead of a ball in it, works pretty good, now Benny's old owner said she paid alot of money for it, i will see if i can find a pic of it

Wow! Thanks everybody! Very helpful.

By the way, Barnaby is not outdoors. He lives in a cage in my room. So its odd that the mushrooms appear. I make sure to clean underneath the leak everyday now to prevent the mushrooms though.

I have a Super Pet 8 ounce glass water bottle that leak very little if at all. I think the smaller diameter tube and glass helps.

BTW do you use wood bedding? Once I had ink caps mushrooms that were pretty good to eat. Do you know what kind of mushrooms you got? DO NOT EAT unless you are 100% positive they are not poison.

lol you send me a rabbit, named ....... oh i dont know Dallas!! and i will send you the bottle,lol

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
lol you send me a rabbit, named ....... oh i dont know Dallas!! and i will send you the bottle,lol
Than the need for the bottle becomes mute. :p

I have two of those water buddy bottles and have had good luck with them! :)

I also have a bowl, because one of my rabbits doesn't like to drink from the bottle. The other two drink from the bottle though, and it doesn't leak nearly as much as the normal kind of bottles.

I use the dog-king of bowls, and my rabbits love them.
Sheriff is a heavy water drinker, and it works great and they haven't tipped it over.

I recently got a huge water bottle from Walmart (it was part of a gift package). It will leak a few times when you hook it onto the cage, but other then that....no leaking! I'm currently using it for my foster bunny. I think they are $4 at Walmart, so its worth a try for you!

Latest posts

Back