Rabbit of the Month - TBD

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Vaginal Bleeding

Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #11
tonyshuman

Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That is good that they removed the uterus and figured out the issue. I hope that clears it up totally!

Not many people would think watching the operation was interesting, but I'm with you, I think it would be fascinating.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
james waller

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 31

massie777 wrote:
Quote:
well Jasmine got spayed on tues and they found what is called Endometrial Venous Aneurysms which is raised red areas through out the uterine horns. Some of the symtoms is passing blood clots through the urine which is what this rabbit was doing. hopefully by spaying her she should be good.
I actually got to watch them open up the uterine horns and got to see the red bumps, it was really cool. I will let you know how she does over the next couple of days.
biopsy and blood test/i am praying/negative for cancer/pathogens/caught early enough-i would think,bun would have a long healthy life...good job...sincerely james waller

Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
AngelnSnuffy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

massie777 wrote:
Quote:
well Jasmine got spayed on tues and they found what is called Endometrial Venous Aneurysms which is raised red areas through out the uterine horns. Some of the symtoms is passing blood clots through the urine which is what this rabbit was doing. hopefully by spaying her she should be good.
I actually got to watch them open up the uterine horns and got to see the red bumps, it was really cool. I will let you know how she does over the next couple of days.
Randy, can u break this down for us? What exactly does this mean. Is this similar to Endometriosis in a human?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
tonyshuman

I think what happened is that the uterus was bleeding irregularly, and had these red areas that blood would come out of. Normally the uterus builds a lining after estrous to be a safe place for the embryos to implant. I think a problem with this process led to just plain bleeding from perforations in the blood vessels in the uterus.

Endometriosis in humans involves the growth of uterine-like tissue outside of the uterus. They can grow anywhere. The tissue is sensitive to hormones that circulate in the blood, and as a result they go through some of the same changes as uterine tissue in the uterus throughout a menstrual cycle. This can lead to lots of pain in random places.

I hope I got that right!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Pipp
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I think there's just some wrong terminology here, maybe a typo, rabbits can't get Endometriosis. I have a book on lab animals somewhere and it said they had to induce it in rabbits, it only occurs naturally in humans and some primates. They consider that unfortunate because rabbits are cheap, primates are not. (I would think the rectal version is the same, I thought it was a rare extension of the vaginal kind).

From what I've read, vaginal bleeding in rabbits is most often uterine polyps, uterine cancer or the above-mentioned Endometrial Venous Aneurysms (had to look that one up, but its a pretty common cause of sporadic bleeding).

I'm sure there are other things that can cause rectal (and urinary) bleeding, something else to look into.

sas

Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
tonyshuman

I was just clarifying what endometriosis in humans is and explaining how it's different from what this bunny had.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #17
Pipp
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Oh, sorry Claire, didn't even see your post. (Had my answer to Angelnsnuffy on the screen since last night!)

But looking at your post, it's logical it's a menstruation-based thing and doesn't really apply to rabbits.

Randy probably meant a similarly-named medical term for the polyps or cancer or whatever.

No matter! The answer was found and it was a good result! Bunny should be fine.

sas

Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
tonyshuman

I think the term "Endometrial" in the name of the disease just refers that it's occuring in the lining of the uterus, called the endometrium. "Endometriosis" is technically just "disease of the endometrium", but it's used colloquially to mean the disease where endometrial tissue is found outside of the uterus and causes pain in humans.

Endometrial venous aneurysms literally means balloon-shaped sacs full of blood (aneurysms) from the veins (venous) in the lining of the uterus (endometrial).

Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
massie777

Just wanted to update everyone. My female bunny Jasmine is doing good, have not seen anymore bleeding. I think we got rid of everthing which is good because now we can find her a home.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #20
lozeldatkm

Hey everyone. I'm really sorry to dredge up an ancient topic, but I found this doing a Google search and I really wanted to ask you guys since you seem like a smart and experienced group.

I have a 6 month old female Hotot and a 4 month female Flemish giant. Neither are spayed. The Hotot (Isis) has been getting aggressive, and just last night violently attacked her sister (Stella)

So, until I can afford to get them spayed, I've separated the two, but I'm concerned about Stella's bleeding. I had assumed there was some sort of wound from being attacked by Isis, but after I cleaned her up, it looks more like the bleeding is coming from the vaginal or rectal area. The skin there is swollen and red. The bleeding seems to be receding, but I just wanted to make sure that the attack was the reason for the bleeding and not some other problem. I can't schedule a vet visit until payday so I'm trying to get an opinion until then.