Rabbit of the Month - Bambi

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Vaginal Bleeding

Old 01-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
massie777

I have a rabbit that came into my rescue about 1 month ago. She is an unspayed female and just about 2 weeks ago we notice vaginal bleeding. The only spot we keep seeing blood is in the litter box. We sent out a urine sample and their was not blood in the urine so that is why i am thinking it is vaginal bleeding. Has anyone every had this happen to a female and does it mean she has uterine cancer? please help.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hi, it is typically an early sign of uterine cancer OR infection. I suggest that you have an ultrasound done immediately, and then a spay if it appears to be an infection or cancer that has not spread out of the uterus.

edit: Also, it is possible it is rectal bleeding, not vaginal. If you can eliminate the poop as a source of blood, that would be good. Intestinal/rectal bleeding has a whole different set of challenges, depending on the cause.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
massie777

what would be the problem if it is recal bleeding. i am not sure if it is coming from the rectum or vaginal. But the only place i find the blood is in her litter box. Nothing on her at all.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Well, a rectal prolapse or hemorrhoid could be there, as well as something more serious like intestinal bleeding. Hemorrhoids usually pass on their own, but rectal prolapses require some additional care. Intestinal bleeding would not have a cure, unfortunately, and would be the cause of serious GI upset caused by infection/bacterial imbalances (clostridium, runny stool), or overuse/misuse of some nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Metacam (meloxicam) or ibuprofen.

It's probably best to have the vet determine where it is coming from. Are her poos normal? Is the blood on the poo, or just the litter?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
massie777

we are going to get her spayed on tues. and see if their is anything wrong with her uterus. If there is nothing wrong with it then we will try and find out what else could be wrong. thanks for the info
i think it is more vaginal bleeding then fecal. her fecals look normal and she is eating and drinking really well

Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
ra7751
Retired Moderator

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would suggest getting the spay earlier if at all possible. If it's vaginal bleeding, it is either endometriosis or uterine cancer. Endometriosis can bleed both vaginally and rectal. If your vet has laser capability, I would suggest using it since endometrial tissue will bleed profusely. Laser will help to control the bleed and prevent a bleed out during surgery. I would also have her on aggressive antibiotics immediately as a "pre-emptive" strike.

Randy

Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
james waller

Rabbits

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 30

massie777 wrote:
Quote:
we are going to get her spayed on tues. and see if their is anything wrong with her uterus. If there is nothing wrong with it then we will try and find out what else could be wrong. thanks for the info
i think it is more vaginal bleeding then fecal. her fecals look normal and she is eating and drinking really well
any results,,determinations,,yet.??..reply when you can....sincerely james waller

Old 01-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
massie777

She is still slighly bleeding but i can't get her done until tues. when they have an opening. i will let you know what happens when she gets spayed.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
james waller

Rabbits

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 30

massie777 wrote:
Quote:
She is still slighly bleeding but i can't get her done until tues. when they have an opening. i will let you know what happens when she gets spayed.
you are doing the right thing,,we will keep our hopes high,,bless you..sincerely james waller

Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
massie777

well Jasmine got spayed on tues and they found what is called Endometrial Venous Aneurysms which is raised red areas through out the uterine horns. Some of the symtoms is passing blood clots through the urine which is what this rabbit was doing. hopefully by spaying her she should be good.
I actually got to watch them open up the uterine horns and got to see the red bumps, it was really cool. I will let you know how she does over the next couple of days.