"You have way too many pets, though..."

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
ARGGGG!! I am so sick of random people telling me this. Seriously.

:X:rollseyes:grumpy::pssd::?:expressionless:nope::censored2::headsmack:shame:duel:foreheadsmack::ponder::tantrum::banghead:craziness:huh:dunno

How is 9 pet rats who all live in one cage, 3 house rabbits, 2 cats, and a small dog "too many pets"? It might be "too many" for you...but I handle it quite well :boxing.

HELLOOOOOOO....this isn't the days where people keep a dog and a cat anymore!!!!

:whatever

I Know!! my brother in law teases me that we are going to run out of oxygen in our house LOL !!

We "only" have 6 people, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 lizards and 3 buns!! its not really that much!!

I say all the more to LOVE :)

No offense to anyone, but I think it is slightly funny that I always find that people with 5+ kids are the ones telling me I have way too many pets. I am thinking...."uhh...and you don't have too many kids?".

Again..no offense to anyone!

We have six kids in my family as well as 5 ducks, 4 chickens, 4 bunnies, 3 cats, a dog (soon to become two dogs) lol! :D

It's all a matter of perspective. My dad thinks that my one rabbit is one to many. I, on the other hand, will probably have a farm's worth of animals when I can support that many.

:biggrin2:

I don't think people can say 'you have too many pets' its not a problem if each pet has the right care and love (which i know yours do Amy)

So I just would not listen to them or tell them
'They are each treated like they are the only pet.. they each get love.. they each get care so whats your problem?'

:)

OK so I have a zoo or more like a circus LOL!!
Everyones tolerance is different, my Mom leaves our house feeling like her brain was scrambled haha, I come from the more the merrier side, with 4 kids my animals get alotof attention, there is almost a lap for each animal andthey are such a big help with care, Ive been thinking off adding to our zoo :)Lets see what animal family do we not have LOL

i get told i have a petting zoo -.- 2 cats, a dog, a baby, and 4 rabbits.
ive had much more at one point and capable of taking care of them all too.

its annoying, how someone who has four dogs, 1 rabbit, and 1 cat can tell me i have to many pets. dogs are a LOT more work than a rabbit.

I think, as long as someone is able to physically and financially able to care for the pets they have, it's not "too many." Personally, I think there are limits, and I have known people who don't have enough space to give a quality life but get another pet anyway, or have a sick animal they can't afford to take to the vet but get another anyway, and those are the people who do have too many pets. (I do understand that circumstances arise that we can't control, and I'm not talking about that.)

Amy, your pets are all well-cared for, whoever told you that needs to leave you alone.

I do agree that some people tend to stick their nose in where it doesn't belong. (I'm particularly tired of people asking me when I am going to have kids, and the weird looks on their faces when I say "NEVER!" Though I've started turning it around on them and telling them I "can't" have kids, and then they get all sympathetic. LOL!)

I always respond with "why does it matter to you" or "why do you care". If I can keep all my animals healthy and happy, why does it matter to anyone else how many I have. Its what ever works for you.

I have 10 aquariums, a box turtle, a rabbit, and a dog. I used to also have a hamster. The weird thing is i'm a petsitter so I experience a lot of different combos of animals. I recently looked after 4 cats, and 2 dogs. That combo was too much for me, I dont' think I'd want 4 cats and 2 dogs in a house. But my combo works just fine for me. So its whatever works for you and I dont' see why its anyone elses business.

If people are bugging you about it tell them to stick it.

BethM wrote:
I do agree that some people tend to stick their nose in where it doesn't belong. (I'm particularly tired of people asking me when I am going to have kids, and the weird looks on their faces when I say "NEVER!" Though I've started turning it around on them and telling them I "can't" have kids, and then they get all sympathetic. LOL!)

Haha....I'm 50 (although look younger) and I still have people asking when I'm going to have children. They obviously don't understand the concept of menopause, not to mention that I've had a tubal ligation.

I agree that everyone shouldknow their personal limitations. I was just discussing this last night with one of our other volunteers (the two of us run the Daytona Beach chapter of our rescue). We have a fosterer who wants to take on another rabbit, and while we are desperate for foster homes, we do want to make sure that they are not taking on too much. My personal limit is four rabbits, although I do take in temp fosters in emergencies. I'm actually getting two rabbits on Wednesday, who will be here about a week.

Why should other people care how many animals you have? Is it affecting their lives?

I agree with those who said its none of their business.

As long as the animals are all well cared for, which yours are, then its no one elses business and its also not worth letting them get to you because its absolutely nothing to do with them.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I agree that everyone shouldknow their personal limitations. I was just discussing this last night with one of our other volunteers (the two of us run the Daytona Beach chapter of our rescue). We have a fosterer who wants to take on another rabbit, and while we are desperate for foster homes, we do want to make sure that they are not taking on too much. My personal limit is four rabbits, although I do take in temp fosters in emergencies. I'm actually getting two rabbits on Wednesday, who will be here about a week.
Yeah, my rescue has a couple foster homes that are absolutely maxed out, and even though the people want to take more in, we are pretty careful about making sure no one is getting too over their heads.

I have 18 rabbits (including the 4 kits in the nestbox), 3 fish and 4 cats....that's a lot of pets. Haha. And I would have had more if I still had my sheep, the dog, and the three other cats ;) Except the dog and cats were my older sisters', but still. haha.

Emily

slavetoabunny wrote:
BethM wrote:

Haha....I'm 50 (although look younger) and I still have people asking when I'm going to have children. They obviously don't understand the concept of menopause, not to mention that I've had a tubal ligation.

Why should other people care how many animals you have? Is it affecting their lives?

Is that you in your avvie?

If so you do NOT look like you are 50 o.0

Maybe in your 30's.

Anyways lol I have at my moms, 1 dog, 2 cats, 25 rabbits & 2 guinea pigs.

At my dads I have 2 dogs, 1 cat & a snake.

That is it. But my mom lives on a farm (I live with her).

I always get strange looks when I say we have 5 rabbits :?
No one bats an eyelid when we say we have 3 cats but the rabbits always get the same response.... Why?!? and I say err maybe it's cos I like rabbits! lol!

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
Is that you in your avvie?

If so you do NOT look like you are 50 o.0

Maybe in your 30's.

Yep, that's me. Good genes, I guess! Here are pics of me at 50 (so sorry for the thread hijack!!!!!!!):

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

When someone tells me I have too many pets I take it as a complement and thank them, lol. I then explain that I am trying for the term "crazy animal lady" and am looking for a few more cats to round things off if they know of any. Generally that shuts them up. They still think you are weird, but at least it is a planned weird, haha.

Yeahh i dont have that many animals but people still think its weird that i have rats or even my one rabbit.
I have a Rabbit, two Rats, a guinea pig and a dog. People seem to act like that is a lot of animals but to me its just fine, i even want another rabbit but know i should wait til i have my own job as i feel bad asking my parents sometimes.

My friend and i joke that im the crazy bunny person, as i talk nonstop about my rabbit Evie but i told her she's just as crazy about dogs as all she ever does is talk about her two dogs lol.

Latest posts

Back