My Penelope is a BOY!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PennyRose

Reaction score
I feel so stupid. I just realized that my Penelope Rose is a BOY not a GIRL...I was told when I bought her that she was a girl, and that was four months ago. Then tonight I noticed she sprayed something white on my bed, so I became suspicious and checked her...HIS area and saw the testicles.

I've been crying now for an hour I know it's stupid but its really hard when you've been loving this little creature for months and calling her girly things and thinking of her as a girl then all of a sudden it's like I don't even know her anymore and I feel really foolish for not noticing this earlier...!

Anyway, I guess my question here is do I have to get him spayed? I didn't think about it when I thought it was a girl but I've heard boys are a handful if they aren't spayed. How much does it cost? Will he have to go under?

I can't believe I have to start calling my Penelope a HE and change the name. So sad...I'm so angry at the pet store.

Aww! (hugs) It happens. Sometimes males don't "drop" for months, so it can be hard!

If he's spraying pee then you might want to neuter him. It could become a nasty habit.

PennyRose wrote:
I feel so stupid. I just realized that my Penelope Rose is a BOY not a GIRL...I was told when I bought her that she was a girl, and that was four months ago. Then tonight I noticed she sprayed something white on my bed, so I became suspicious and checked her...HIS area and saw the testicles.

I've been crying now for an hour I know it's stupid but its really hard when you've been loving this little creature for months and calling her girly things and thinking of her as a girl then all of a sudden it's like I don't even know her anymore and I feel really foolish for not noticing this earlier...!

Anyway, I guess my question here is do I have to get him spayed? I didn't think about it when I thought it was a girl but I've heard boys are a handful if they aren't spayed. How much does it cost? Will he have to go under?

I can't believe I have to start calling my Penelope a HE and change the name. So sad...I'm so angry at the pet store.
we did the same thing,,there they were all brand new babies,,my wifes little molly-b,./.and she grew,and grew and grew-at about 5 months of age the boys got into a fight,,whats this molly was right in the thick of it/the receiving end,,after surgery/which was due to mutilation/needed to save her life/yes,testicles/neutered by her brother/.now she is called molly-b the walla-b--,always a she never a he walla-b...he was a he all the time,he knew it,,and we love him anyway,..any way i thought you would enjoy this thread,..sincerely james waller:p

I'm so sorry. Don't be upset orsad. Just get him neutered, since he started to spray he may continue. It may be best to do it asap. Just remember it's the same bunny.

What are you gonna rename him? :) ....April

When we got our Nicky from the animal shelter, the add in the paper said "mixed male mini"--hence the name Nick. 2 days later, once he was comfy and settled, I checked and renamed my little girl Nik-Nik. She was one of the sweetest rabbits we ever had. If you love your baby, it doesn't really matter and yes, get him neutered--moderates their behavior quite a bit.

I've learned my lesson long ago not to trust pet stores. :( That's why my rabbits are named Briar and Quinn, if I discovered there was a 'whoopsie' later on I wouldn't have to rename them. I strictly refused to call them cutesy little nicknames until they were checked at the vet. For awhile there I thought that Quinn was actually a girl! But he was a boy, so it turned out alright in the end! I love unisex names. :hearts

It happens a lot! I'm sure Penelope would be fine with a girl name. Bo B Bunny's Clover was suspected to be a girl for about 3 years, and just recently discovered to be a boy! Flash has a boy bunny named Sophie as well, and that's just what I remember off the top of my head!

tonyshuman wrote:
It happens a lot! I'm sure Penelope would be fine with a girl name. Bo B Bunny's Clover was suspected to be a girl for about 3 years, and just recently discovered to be a boy! Flash has a boy bunny named Sophie as well, and that's just what I remember off the top of my head!
And my girl was called George (but now answers to Georgia ;)). And Tiny's Mom has a boy called Harriet :)

Like everyone says, he's the same cute bunny you've always loved, though it will be strange at first, thinking of him as a boy. Definitely get him neutered - much healthier in the long run (and less expensive to do a boy than a girl :))

Jan

I had it happen to me too. I got two bunnnies from a person who breed them and he told me they were both girls and I found out two months later that one was indeed a male.

Hey thanks everyone all your posts really cheered me up. I am over the shock of it now and trying to get used to calling her "Him" haha.April, I was thinking I'd just stick with Penny s that isn't TOO girly. I will def. get him neutered and love him anyway!

Glad I wasn't the only one this happened to!

Best,

Morgan:):):)

Latest posts

Back