Hay n' Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gray_Lady

Reaction score
hi guys, I'm a new mom as you all know to my first bunny captain.

I'm a little worried, he is 1yr 2m, i have a feeling his pervius parents never gave him hay or good food (he came with seed mix).

I have been giving him hay and really rabbit food, but he wants nothing to do with it, how ever he will eat fresh food.

I don't think his nails have ever been cut! they are soooo long, im gonna get my groomer to cut them since im a littler nervous to do it on my own since Captain is getting to know still. 4 hands are better then 2.

so i just need some advise on how to get him to eat bunny food n hay.

If you still have the seed mix, I would wean him off the seed mix onto the pellets your gonna use. I had a problem with my first bunny not eating pellets so my doc (vet) took my bunny off hay and veggies for 2 weeks. She only got pellets. You may want to take him to a vet for a check up. The doc wanted the pellets in her system, to get use to them. That might be a option. Cause your bunny does need pellets. But do not do this ... talk to a vet first. Maybe just give him hay and pellets. No veggies and see if he eats the pellets then.

:) April

edit: I might be wrong, he may of had her only on hay and pellets. She wouldn't eat hay either. She had teeth problems, I found out later.

:D i have a vet appointment coming soon for check up and get his lungs checked before nuatering occurs.

ugh you should see his nails they are 2 cm long is so sad

Hi,

I have had rescues come in that never had hay....it will take time. Hay should be the vast majority of the diet. Rabbits do not need pellets if they are in good shape and eat a high quality hay. I have several rabbits that eat only hay....look at wild rabbits...their digestive system is identical and theyeat as nature intended. We use pellets only to maintain weight and body conditioning. Of course, we adjust theamount of pellets depending on overall health. An all pellet diet usually leads to obesity and dental concerns. Hay provide the bulk in the correct low protein high fiber diet. Pellets were developed as a convenience food (sounds familiar doesn't it) for lab and the industry we don't like to discuss. Hay controls the transit time in the GI....just as fiber does with humans. Hay is also the primary way to keep the teeth worn to a proper length. It's not how hard something is....it's how chewy it is. They need tooth to tooth contact and the hay provides the chewy part that does this. Offer a wide variety of different hays....and all hay is not created equally. There are ultra high quality hays that even our pickiest rabbits will eat available via the internet. And any hay a horse can eat...so can a rabbit. We buy a lot of show horse hay. And make sure you offer pellets in a limited amount....we have very large Flemish that get only about 1/3 of pellets per day.

Randy

I'd transition him slowly to the new pellet, gradually over 1-2 weeks. A vet visit will help too. I'm glad you got this guy and are going to give him proper care!

yay Captian is starting to like hay after i made this box for him. i made a video

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/jl5M-K5VtE0&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

also my cat likes it too
Photo127.jpg

He is probably going to poo and pee in there, I hope that's ok. Bunnies like to eat hay while they poo, kind of like reading a magazine on the toilet for people. The best place for a hay rack is next to the litterbox.

tonyshuman wrote:
He is probably going to poo and pee in there, I hope that's ok. Bunnies like to eat hay while they poo, kind of like reading a magazine on the toilet for people. The best place for a hay rack is next to the litterbox.
if he wants to poop in there he can. better then on the floor. :D

Latest posts

Back