spraying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsaustin007

Reaction score
I am getting a Netherland Dwarf in 2 weeks. My concern is the spraying during
puberty. Is there an age they stop doing that or do they only stop after being
fixed? Excuse my newbie rabbit owner ignorance. :p

There are some buns that like to spray and some that don't so you may be one of the lucky ones :p Especially as there won't be any other rabbit competition around.

Generally it eases when the rabbit is neutered however that doesn't mean it will stop completely; if you have a sprayer, chances are that may continue but in a much reduced amount after the neuter.

Having a neutered bun and hearing about what they're like unaltered, I hardly feel like they'd be a fun pet otherwise... so yeah, definitely get him fixed. Rabbit urine smells bad when they're unaltered (you can tell that much by just walking in to a petstore that sells them) and is darker than cat's or dog's, so you definitely don't want that getting anywhere but their litterbox. Spraying is just a natural behavior for a hormonal rabbit and I don't think they'd stop at any age if you left them unfixed.

Again, excuse my ignorance, but do only the males spray? I haven't picked one out yet and if I can avoid this whole dilemma by getting a female, I'll do that.

Latest posts

Back