Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Doesn't look right 'down there', and jelly-like urine. So worried

Old 03-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
jcottonl02
Retired Moderator

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've already booked a vets appointment but I wanted to get your guys help calming me down and telling me what this might be.

Pippin seems to have lots of jelly-like crystals in his urine- they are orange, soft, and a few millimetres wide, dotted all over the floor, along with wet urine.

I looked at his little area, to see if it all looked okay, and on one side of his urethra there looks like a black swelling, which opens. It's really weird and I can't see one on the other side.

He has had no changes in diet, or been on medication for anything.

He is eating, drinking, pooping fine. He is happy and well, washing and binkying. What could that all be about??

It is impossible to keep a straight face while in the presence of one or more kittens- Cynthia E. Varnado
Benji (Birthday 29/7/2006) Pippin (5/04/2007- 7/05/2011)
Currently completing a Bsc in Zoology, and then hoping to progress to Veterinary Science.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
pamnock
Retired Moderator

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You might find this article helpful.

http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

Pam

nockrabbits.com

Old 03-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm not sure they're uroliths because my understanding was that bladder stones are hard and white-off white, not orange and gooey. It may be very thick bladder sludge if the chunks are grainy in texture at all. You called them jelly-like crystals, which is confusing to me because crystals are hard and jelly is soft, so I'm not sure what the things are really like. Crystals definitely mean bladder sludge, which can be lots of crystals together in something with the overall consistency of toothpaste. Obviously it is best to get him to a vet ASAP.

When you say the opening is near the urethra, are you sure it isn't the urethra itself? It would make sense that the urethra would be stretched and more open than normal if he had passed or was in the process of passing a bladder stone. However, this opening would be the urethra itself, not something next to it. Are you 100% sure it's not a scent gland?

It may be sludge and/or bladder stones, usually caused by a bladder infection. The vet should take a urine sample and give you antibiotics if it appears to be an infection. More fluid can only help at this point. You may have to eliminate all sources of calcium in his diet. Our library article on Urinary Tract Problems was recently updated with several recent stories and some new info. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
naturestee
Retired Moderator

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Jelly-like is odd. Maybe clumped up bladder sludge? You say it's dotted all over the floor- is this his normal urinary habits or has it changed lately? This can sometimes be caused by bladder infections.

I'm glad you're going to the vet. An exam and urinalysis should tell you a lot about what's going on. Hopefully something simple!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
tonyshuman

Yeah forgot to mention that incontinence and urinating out of the litterpan is frequently a sign of urinary infection.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
jcottonl02
Retired Moderator

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks alot for all your comments guys.

I described them as jelly-like crystals to try and portray the fact that they looked like crystals (small and squarish) but were soft like jelly.

Well here's the verdict:

The dark, weird opening on one side of the urethra was just a build-up of something. Common in rabbits etc. Cause is unknown apparently, but it appears to be some sort of product from the sexual organs, a bit like earwax for us. It was on both sides, and he showed me- I could not hold Pippin and look well at the same time, but he held him well and showed me. He wiped it out with a wet towell and it was just like dark earwax. So that was all fine!!

As for the jelly-like urine- I brought a sample for him. I had looked up lots about it and just couldn't find something that fitted. It wasn't sandy etc. or like toothpaste, so it wasn't bladder stones etc.
But he was baffled. All the vets were. He asked whether (however silly this question) if I knew for certain it was from his urine. I could only assume so.

But he said, as it is, and in Pippin's healthy condition, and that there has been no other change, and it is not a sign of something bad, he said it is probably just fine. He said to keep a good eye on Pippin for any signs of change, and check his urine for it. If it occurs more then they will run a series of tests.

Yeah....Pippin has just never taken to litter training. It's really weird. He treats his 'bedroom' as a litter tray. He doesn't wee anywhere else in the house or hutch. He just wees in all four corners of his 'bedroom' bless him. That is not a sign of an infection etc is it? He just didn't litter train well, and has chosen four spots in which to alternate his toiletry habits lol! Both wees and poos!!

Thanks a lot guys. I am so glad everything is okay. Seeing the black swellings (I saw the black through thin skin, so it looked like blood under skin) was just terrifying. I'll keep a good eye on his urine for more jelly stuff, IF it was actually from his urine. But I can't see what else it could be from. But the vet had never seen anything like it.
He is binkying, washing, eating, drinking, energetic and completely himself, well-formed droppings and the same amount of urine as normal, with normal consistently and colour, except about 12 little tiny crystal (looking!) jelly things.

It is impossible to keep a straight face while in the presence of one or more kittens- Cynthia E. Varnado
Benji (Birthday 29/7/2006) Pippin (5/04/2007- 7/05/2011)
Currently completing a Bsc in Zoology, and then hoping to progress to Veterinary Science.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
tonyshuman

Ah the brown stuff was accumulation in his scent glands. I clean them on my guys approx monthly when I do their nails with a Q-tip and baby oil.

Are we 100% sure he is a boy? The reason I ask, is that it could be vaginal discharge, indicative of an infection. When you said they were all over the floor, I thought that was abnormal for him.

And this jelly-like stuff isn't in his poo, and not at all gritty like sand? Curious...

Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
angieluv
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Is the vet rabbit experienced. ?
I have no idea what the jelly stuff is but thought an experienced vet would know ???

if he is peeing all over the room that is an indicator of a bladder infection in a rabbit that usually doesn't exhibit that behavior

Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #9
pamnock
Retired Moderator

jcottonl02 wrote:
Quote:
The dark, weird opening on one side of the urethra was just a build-up of something. Common in rabbits etc. The waxy substance is from scent glands on either side of the genitals.
Quote:
But he was baffled. All the vets were. He asked whether (however silly this question) if I knew for certain it was from his urine. I could only assume so. I wondered about your description also - a jelly-like mucous is secreted by the intestines and sometimes discharged in clumps when rabbits have GI problems.
Quote:
Is your rabbit a homozygousbrokenpattern? I see the "jelly stools" most often in homozygous brokens such asDwarf Hotots due to genetic issues with thegut.

Pam

Pam

nockrabbits.com

Old 04-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
pamnock
Retired Moderator

Any updates?

Pam

nockrabbits.com