What do you guys use for a hay feeder?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherMarie

Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys use for hay feeders. I have two little mini milk-crate looking things that I stuff with in the morning and evenings, but they pull it out and put it in their litter boxes and potty on it or throw it over the cage and it's just so messy! I've looked at the commercial hay feeders, but they don't come nearly big enough. Like i said I have to fill up the two milk crates twice a day. Anyone have any ingenius ideas?

My pens are made with NIC cubes, and to make the hay racks I just fold one in half, zip-tie cardboard to the back to prevent hay from falling out that way, and zip-tie it to the pen wall where it will hang into the litter box.

I haven't found any good way to prevent rabbits from playing with the hay while they eat it. But at least they're entertained!

naturestee wrote:
My pens are made with NIC cubes, and to make the hay racks I just fold one in half, zip-tie cardboard to the back to prevent hay from falling out that way, and zip-tie it to the pen wall where it will hang into the litter box.

I haven't found any good way to prevent rabbits from playing with the hay while they eat it. But at least they're entertained!
Could you post a picture

I use these, which were about £2 ($3ish?) from Ikea:

1220016774.jpg

With hay in:

1220017256.jpg

And sometimes (well, quite often actually lol) the bunnies like to sleep in it:

IMG_8061.jpg

It's pretty popular- holds LOADS of hay, which they can get out very easily and it attaches to the cage very easily with zip ties. And, as you can see, if the bunny is small enough, it also makes a very cosy bed! :)

I have a hanging flower basket, obviously not hanging though, but on the ground, and that holds alot. I think with what ever you use you will get "dregs" droping everywhere.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I just serve it in their litterboxes. I have grates in all of them, so it doesn't get mixed in with the litter. Much neater!
Ditto! That's what I do too :D

Mine aren't ingenious ideas lol. I just have a hay rack which I stuff with hay. Just one you can get from pets at home or something- which you attack to the hutch. :)

misc018.jpg

this is what I use. It is a hanging rack thingie that you are supposed to put plastic bags you get from stores in. I got it at bed, bath, and beyond.

Another idea I got from the lady who rulns the rescue I work for is to get an under-the-shelf basket thingie and simply turn it on its side.

hope this helps!

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
wall-mounted-hay-rack.jpg

This is the kind I use- obviously a smaller one because this is for a horse. But I stuff it completely full every day (Pippin's I sometimes stuff morning and night cos he eats loads of hay) and it seems to hold the perfect amount. And it doesn't drop any at all.

OMG look at Chalk LOL! She's so silly!
Mine have the outside hanging hay racks and I HATE THEM!!! I have hay all over the floor..... I have to clean it up each day or hubby gets mad.... which I understand.

I need to find a good solution.... *sigh*

I use empty tissue (Kleenix or Posh Puffs) boxes. They're cardboard, so the buns can chew on them. Come in different sizes. Some are pretty. And, I can put hole in the back and zip tie them to the cage, so they're not thrown around. The openings are large enough for the buns to get the hay, but not so large that they'll be mistaken for litter boxes. No sharp edges to them. I've found that they're surprisingly study, too, unless somebun pees on them.

I have a cheap, plastic hay rack made by SuperPet. It sits on the outside of the cage and is solid, so very few scraps fall on the floor. I have box underneath it that picks up any stray bits, though. I also throw handfuls of hay in their litter boxes.

Nothing so genious for hay here.
Some of the buns have hay racks, and for the rest, we just put the hay on the ground next to their litter boxes, or right inside the door (for Minnie & Sippi) in clean spaces.

I love that hay rack you have Swanlake! That's really cool!

I'm going to have to find something good to use for Magic, because he hates the hay racks from the feed stores; just drags his hay all over the place, and throws a fit about the rack. Absolutely hates them! Lol.

Emily

In addition to a wire rack like those discussed here, and an old ziplock bag box (sandwich size), I also stuff hay into toilet paper tubes. Scone loves to nibble the hay down flush with the ends, then he can tear his way into the tube to get at more hay. A good tube will last a week or too before it gets nibbled down to a napkin ring and the hay won't stay inside anymore.

There was a hay feeder with Princess' cage but it was a cheap one and the little things to attach it to the cage broke, while it wasn't broken it was really handy and kept the hay really neat. Now I just put the hay in a corner of their cages but they spread more of it around then eat it and alot of it goes to waste, I must hunt down some more hay racks :)

hay rack inside the cage above litter tray works best for me. I find my buns prefer their hay served in their litter trays.

My inside bun has a little plastic ball, this thing.

The outside buns have temporary hay racks, since we don't have the time to go find anything else. I cut the bottom off of a plastic milk jug((the edges of mine weren't sharp, believe me I tried!! but some might be)), then cut out the sticker. I punched holes in the sides with a screwdriver and put wire across like a grid. One has four wires across, the other has three, but when it needs hay I just take a handful of timothy, bend it in half and stick it between the wires up near where I cut the sticker out. They're wired to the cages at a tilt, and the bunnies like to push on them and morph them into different shapes. XD

Latest posts

Back