Rabbit of the Month is ?
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > The Mystery of Dewlaps

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:49 PM   #31
MyBabyBunnies

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you really want Cali to have a dewlap, then she can have Mocha's.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:50 AM   #32
Carolyn

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't care if she never gets one.

Mocha Mon's got one? I didn't know he was in touch with his feminine side.

*Kidding!*

-Carolyn

Old 01-26-2005, 01:28 AM   #33
pamnock

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In people, heredity,obesity and smoking can lead to skin sagging so I highly discourage smoking rabbits

Other tidbits from websites of causes of saggy skin that may or may not apply to rabbits:

As you age, elastin fibers stretch and the skin droops. Inaddition the many face muscles we have become slacker and the skin onthe face becomes less elastic and looser, creating folds andlines.

Your genes and the level of sun exposure you've had during yourlifetime determine how much you sag. Smoking contributes to skinsagging, too.

Dry skin and sagging skin are problems that plague women and men asthey get older. Glands in the skin produce less oil as you age, whichcan lead to dry skin and itchy skin. Furthermore, collagen and elastin,which are responsible for the firmness and elasticity of the skin,undergo changes that lead to drier and sagging skin.

however there are many other contributing factorssuch as, weight fluctuations, pregnancy and the menopause. These affectthe elasticity of the skin.

The unattractive "turkey gobbler neck" is due to looseskin and a sagging of the underlying platysma muscle. It creates a bandof skin that extends from the lower jaw to thecollarbone.

nockrabbits.com

Old 01-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #34
Carolyn

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The following comes from a conversation Kathy Smith had with one of her Rabbit Guru's and she thought it worth noting.

"Mostly larger breeds like New Zealands get dewlaps and generally getthem about the time they hit sexual maturity. Also have seen quite afew mini lops, especially larger ones, with them.

Assuming it is linked to a "strain" within breeds since I wouldestimate that more New Zealands, Californians, etc., don't have dewlapsthan do. It doesn't seem "completely" correlated with age or spay,whether a female has a bad litter, nutrition as a youngster, or overallweight.

Have seen many fat representatives of larger breeds with no dewlaps ashave seen occasional Netherland Dwarfs with tiny dewlaps.

A case can be made that dewlaps are caused by some kind of X-linkedrecessive gene, perhaps develop fully only with the presence of propernutrition in early life, more likely to develop if rabbit is spayedlate - and will shrink when rabbit loses weight."

-Carolyn

Old 01-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #35
pamnock

Interesting info. Thanks Carolyn!

Pam

nockrabbits.com

Old 01-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #36
Carolyn

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Same woman told Kathy,

"I know of a woman that had a minilop with a regal dewlap, slightlysmaller than her head. She never had a litter and was never overweight.She was one of those rare free-feeders who liked to exercise and onlyate what she needed.

On the overweight issue: certainly a fat rabbit with a dewlap is goingto have a fat dewlap. In one amazing case, a rabbit had a dewlap about3x the size of her head. Finally they slimmed her down to a goodweight, and the dewlap shrank considerably, but never disappeared."

Another woman Kathy told me about, who's name was Pam and I wondered if it was you said...

"I have a male who is not overweight, but has a small dewlap. He wasneutered around the age of 6. When he was neutered, the vet could findonly one testicle. She even opened him up and never found the otherone."

-Carolyn

Old 01-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #37
MyBabyBunnies

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Interesting. I don't understand why Mocha has asmall dewlap. He was 5 months old when he was neutered and had a dewlapeven in the summer when he wasn't over weight.

It's a mystery to me.

Old 01-30-2005, 04:40 PM   #38
pamnock

Carolyn wrote:
Quote:

Another woman Kathy told me about, who's name was Pam and I wondered if it was you said...

"I have a male who is not overweight, but has a small dewlap. He wasneutered around the age of 6. When he was neutered, the vet could findonly one testicle. She even opened him up and never found the otherone."

Nope, wasn't me

Pam

nockrabbits.com

Old 01-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #39
Carolyn

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yet another perspective Kathy shared with me.

"I think the female dewlaps are more like little pockets of weightunder the chin rather than the whole chest like an overweight rabbitmight have.

Even with my more weightier females, it still is a little pocket right underneath their chin.

Three of my larger rabbits and midsize females (NZ/CA and Rex) all havedewlaps, but my Harlequin and my other two female mixes, who are alsolarge, do not.

-Carolyn

Old 01-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #40
Gabby

pamnock wrote:
Quote:
Carolyn wrote:
Quote:

Nope, wasn't me

Pam
goodness had it been a younger rabbit, i'd swear wehad neutered himWe had a boy like that, was the fist andonly testicle that could not be found on a rabbit at our clinic...Thevet said they are useually hidden somewhere. But we was only around ayear old.....I forgo about him till I just read that.