Rabbit of the Month is ?
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > The Mystery of Dewlaps

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:32 PM   #11
Carolyn

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you, showrabbits.

Cali doesn't have one now, but I wonder if she'll developone. I know Diva (Fergi's Flemish) is developing one andshe's a couple of months younger that Cali.

I've checked with Kathy Smith, the author of Rabbit Health in the21st Century. She also didn't know the specifics aboutthe questions I've asked, but is going to research it more thoroughlyand get back to me. I'm also checking with Rick Stahl, whohas had rabbits in his family for generations. I'm trying toget in touch with a vet that Kathy had referred me towhospecializes in rabbits. I'd like to gather as muchinformation as I can on this.

Since there's not much money to make researching them, as they don'tseem to be a health issue,thereprobably isn't muchinformation, but I'd like to at least try. I'm sure are,inherited, while others don't seem to follow a pattern. Ifound your observations and comments quite interesting. Thankyou for your reply.

-Carolyn

Old 01-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #12
pamnock

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There are actually proteins that control theelasticity of the skin. A number of diseases are associatedwith this protein, but in the case of dewlaps, it appears to be aharmless mutation that doesn't affect other body systems. Itwould be helpful when researching for info to find info on thatparticular protein and also on mapped mouse gene mutations of thisprotein.

Also, mutations of this protein are inherited in a number of differentways. Some of the mutationsare recessive, somedominant, some X linked, etc. Of course, only a small portionof them have actually been identified so I doubt that anyone will beable to come up with any more specific info. on the exact mutation thatcauses loss of elasticityspecific to the neck area, that alsodoes not affect another body system. At least one has beenidentified that causes the skin to loosen, but it is linked topulmonary disease also.

On final edit LOL A geneticist who specializes in that particular protein would be your best best.

Yes -- dietis a contributing factor.

Pam

nockrabbits.com

Old 01-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #13
Carolyn

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's one of the things I had asked about,Pam. If diet had any influence good or bad. Thanksfor the note.

-Carolyn

Old 01-24-2005, 10:02 PM   #14
I LuV MaH BuNs

Brindle, Benji and Chippy all have them. I think Benji and Brin have them just becuase they are chubby bunnies

Old 01-24-2005, 10:54 PM   #15
Buck Jones
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Love this kind of thread! Topics likethis tend to increase my overall general knowledge of rabbits and isworthy of any time spent on it.

We should see more of this kind of material here on the Forum. IMHO

Buck

Old 01-25-2005, 02:44 AM   #16
Gabby

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if they know of any research or findingsabout dewlaps? I've found very litle information on themout there.But from what i have heard read or know, i will address thefollowing.

Is it genetic? I think sometimes yes sometimes no. What i mean is ithink they have a higher chnce of developing them if in runs in theirline, but i don't think having it run in their line means that theywill get them.

Why do some males get them? Why do some human males develope abreast? I have a slim male who has developed one... Why does he haveit, unknown, but i know all his sisters have one (a friend has them) Ido think hormones play a part in it. And the more "womanly" buns tendto develop those nice dewlaps LOL For the most part even though they donot have nipples in them, i have always compared them to the humanequelvent of breasts. I do howeve have a male who has onethat is uneven.. he has develped it later in life, and his is caused byabnormal cell groth, they do not appear to be cancerous, justabnormal... And then i have my lil holland boy who looks like a girl,dewlap and all.. Maybe he has more female hormones than the average boy?

How come within the same breeds, some females get them while othersdon't? I like comparrasions, why are some people naturally skinnylittle waifs, while others of us need to work at keeping ourself trim?
Is it a sign of puberty coming into being ready to breed? Does theage or the opertion of spaying or females have an impact on dewlaps?I have found tHat neutered males were more prone todeveloping them.. which then again would lead me to think hormones havea hand in it.

At what age will a rabbit develop a dewlap, usually, or does age haveanything to do with it age? I'm not sure age applies completely. Butthe older more mature buns do seem to have a better developeddewlap.

I see my guys using them as pillows, i've seen buns usethem as a place to pluck nesting fur. When I was a kid, that was thecommon remark, that a dewlap was for pulling fur for a nest. Then whydon't all females have them?I think alot of it has to do with ech oneis different, and domestication has developed them moreso than theyonce were. Not a very "scintific approach", but an opinionjust the same... I myself stick to, why are some people naturally flat,while other well endowed.... to humanized??? LOL Notfeeling scientific today,, ask me later LOL however should i comeaccoss any info pertaining to it i tink relitive i'll be sure to postit.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:01 AM   #17
pamnock

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Buck Jones wrote:
Quote:
Love this kind of thread! Topics like this tend toincrease my overall general knowledge of rabbits and is worthy of anytime spent on it.

We should see more of this kind of material here on the Forum. IMHO

Buck

I agree! There is far more information processed and analyzedhere than I see on any other board, and I learn so much fromcontinually checking my references and searching form more informationand the most recent advances in rabbit information.

Pam

nockrabbits.com

Old 01-25-2005, 03:12 AM   #18
Buck Jones
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And isn't that so neat?

Buck

Old 01-25-2005, 03:21 AM   #19
lanna21974

I'm loving this thread too. I was curious aboutdewlaps as well. I ahve one doe in the barn with a dewlap, and shedidnt develop one until after she was bred.After having thebabies hers is almost non-existent.

Lanna

Old 01-25-2005, 03:49 AM   #20
Carolyn

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Gabby.

Cali has no dewlap. She was spayed at 4 months. Diva has one, andalthough she's younger - she seems to have a different build from Cali.

I wonder what will come back through the phone line or the email -- isit age-related? genetic? puberty? weight? diet? All, or some, of theabove?

Wonder if my Cali girl will ever get one. And if she does, I'm curiousas to why Diva got one at 4 months, while it's taken at least 10 months- if ever, for Cali to get one.

Just Curious.

-Carolyn