Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > The Mystery of Dewlaps

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 AM   #1
Carolyn

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Can anyone tell me if they know of any research or findings about dewlaps?

Is it genetic?

Why do some males get them?

How come within the same breeds, some females get them while others don't?

Is it a sign of puberty coming into being ready to breed? Does the ageor the opertion of spaying or females have an impact on dewlaps?

At what age will a rabbit develop a dewlap, usually, or does age have anything to do with it age?

-Carolyn

Old 01-24-2005, 12:37 AM   #2
Dwarf_Angel04

This is a Pam question.

I don't have a problem with dewlaps and don't want to LOL! They are adisqualification for my breed. However, in my breed it seemsthe does who do develop dewlaps get them after being bred.

Sorry I couldn't help much but I know Pamcan, most likely

Amanda

Old 01-24-2005, 12:38 AM   #3
Elf Mommy

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if it's relevant or not, but it'sthe main place where Elf has been pulling tufts of fur from to line her"nest". Maybe that's what it's there for? Not sure why males woulddevelop them, though, unless to pull fur during a cold spell. Just athought, no research behind it though, LOL

Old 01-24-2005, 12:59 AM   #4
Carolyn

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks.

As to relevance, I'm just curious about the answer.

I know that they're disqualified in shows. Not looking for the mostbeautiful rabbit or show quality. Understand it's excess skin, etc.

I just want to know why some rabbits get them and others don't and if anyone knows why.

-Carolyn

Old 01-24-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
Dwarf_Angel04

Carolyn wrote:
Quote:
I know that they're disqualified in shows. Not looking for the mostbeautiful rabbit or show quality. Understand it's excess skin, etc.

They aren't disqualifications for all breeds. Some breeds do allowdewlaps on does. I hope Pam knows the answer to this oneas I'd like to know too. No pressure Pam! LOL! I've heardlots of 'reasons' for dewlaps. Such as using the scuff to pick the upor turn them over , over a period of time. It seems my does get themafter being preggers. It's something I normally over look but now thatsits brought up, my brain is ticking for a new knowledge to enter.

From my experience it doesn't seem to be gentic. I have a brood doewith a big dewlap, but her daughters haven't even thought of having adewlap and all have kindled. I've also noticed that all my does withdewlaps are overweight or close to being.

Amanda

Old 01-24-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
pamnock

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had posted some info on a previous thread aboutthe genetic tendency of the skin to lose it's elasticity.Weight can also be an issue. It's a similar genetictendency as women who get "gobblers" hanging under their necks or looseskin hanging of their arms. When, where, and how the dewlapdevelops may differ in each individual.

Certain breeds that have looser skin will be prone to bigger dewlaps --Lops, Flemish and Giant Chins have a tendency to get the massivedewlaps, where rabbits known for their drum tight pelts with littleelasticity are less prone to developing a large dewlap unless they areover weight.

It really doesn't serve any purpose -- I've never seen a wild rabbit with one.

Pam

nockrabbits.com

Old 01-24-2005, 01:51 AM   #7
Dwarf_Angel04

Thanks for explaination Pam.

I'm discussing this with Sue right now. She also says itsgentic and notices it in mature does and does after they are preggers.

I guess it just hasn't 'popped' out in my herd yet. Thegrand-daughters of the doe I was speaking of are yet to start todewlap. I'm glad it doesn't seem to be gentic in my line.... so far!

Amanda

Old 01-24-2005, 03:02 AM   #8
Carolyn

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Pam.

-Carolyn

Old 01-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #9
showrabbits

My older flemish does have gorgouse dewlapssometimes. I actauly like the does that get double dewlaps althoughjudges dont always. Carolyn you may notice that Cali is starting to getone. The sandy does tend to get the biggest ones. I dont think that itis heritory because as much maybe because so many factors play into itlike baggy skin, wieght, age, and yada yada yada yada. I have had a doehowever that developed a unbalanced dewlap, it was big but didnt comeall the way across her chin or chest. When I took her to a show I didntthink anything of it at first but the breeder saw her and automaticallygave me another doe and said that her mother did the same thing. Shenever did balance out and actualy since I didnt want to breed her Igave her to my best friend who had always said that she was in lovewith her. LOL. The vet that spayed her also did a little cosmeticsurgery since it was so big and she was off balanced and kicking itwith her foot. She now looks like a dog without it.

I have seen wild rabbits with it though although they are little kindof like a bucks, or a young does. There is a wild rabbit that I handraised once and she hangs around and I can get close it her. She is twoyears old now and she has a dewlap although it is more like a doublechin.

I have also seen my rabbits use their dewlaps for a number of things oratleast the dewlaps have come in handy a number of times. AJone of my sandy does with a very large double dewlap used hers with herfirst litter. She built the nest in the corner of her nest box andeverytime I would go out she was laying next to the nest with herdewlap layed over the nest. The other time I saw a rabbit use it was mylight grey mouse. With her last litter she had them on the wire, and Iraced inside to grabb supplies since she just started to have the kitsand when I got back out she had built a nest in her box eight feet awayand had just started moving the third kit to the box. She rolled itwith her chin positioned it and the kit kind of climped a little bitand she held it pressed under her chin and although she dropped ittwice on the way she got it to the nest box and nosed it into the nest.I have never saw that happen before although I had wondered what hadhappend with mouses litters before hand because everything looked likeshe had them in one part of the cage and not in the nest if you knowwhat I mean. My rabbits have never pulled hair from theirdewlaps but I have heard tons of people say that thats where theirrabbits pulled hair from. Also I have noticed my rabbits have usedtheir dewlaps for warmth and comfort when it gets cold. They lay withtheir front feet under it and their cheeks, and noses pressed into it.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #10
MyBunnyLovesMe

Maggie has a dewlap now, but, she's also pretty chunky, so I'm assuming that's why.

I figure if she loses weight she'll lose the dewlap as well. But, maybe she likes having her own built in pillow.