HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhiszxpinay

Reaction score
Her nail is bleeding.! It's her cuticle thatsupports the nail.:(It's bleeding slowly. My mom suggested torinse it with water... do you think that will work? Do you think ishould send her to the vet? What should I do!?!

Don't panic! I am assuming you do not have anystyptic (sp?)powder on hand. You can put some flour on it orI have heard that a bar of soap rubbed on the nail will stop thebleeding as well. Otherwise you are fine to just let it bleed it willeventually stop on its own.

Fergi's mom

I use cornstarch.....

put some on your finger and apply pressure to the nail thats bleeding. Everything will be okay. ;)

From what make it sound, if you apply pressure with corn starch then everything should be okay.

What nail is it? Where you cutting nails when it happened? or did she do it on her own?

Hello? Is anybody here?

News: Now Her nail is bent to the right. The bent are ispast her nail and is in the pink area. I tried to put flour... but shekeeps on jumping. Sometimes when i add the flour, i can hear herwincing. I don't know what to do! Any suggestions??

Emmy did it on her own.

I don't know. If she broke the nailclear into her foot area, I might have to see the vet. I justhaven't had that sort of thing happen. I would be scared too:(

What nail is it? Where you cutting nails when it happened? or did she do it on her own?

She did it by her own. I think it happened when she was scartchingand nipping the pillow. The bented nail is on [your] left, first nail.

Once again don't panic! Your rabbit will notbleed to death from the toenail I promise. I recently had the samesituation happen with my dog, if you mean that the actual hard part ofthe nail is bent and broke down to the quick. If there is excess nailleft hanging you need to secure your bun in a towel and clip it off. Itdoes not feel real great to the animal but it is the best way to handleit, they broke part needs to come off. NOT THE QUICK where the vesselsare but any hard nail hanging needs to be clipped.

Fergi's mom

p.s. It's harder on you than it is on the animal, I was sweating all over the place when I had it happen!

Good Job! You are over the worst part. When Icontacted my vet the first time my dog did this (he has done it threetimes) he gave me the advice I gave you and said it would be fine.Since your bun is indoors you shouldn't have a problem with it notstopping bleeding. Sometimes they can aggrevate it and it will bleedagain. If it continues to bleed for two hours or longer than you mightwant to think about contacting your vet although I am sure it willstop...the only time my dogs re-opened was when he went outside in thecold and then it would stop shortly after he came back inside. GOODJOB!!

Fergi's mom

EDIT: The first time he did it it bled for four hours I was in a complete PANIC! The vet assured me he would be just fine.

It will heal on it's own, she will lick it andkeep it clean and it should heal right up. It is kind of like whensomeone loses a toenail themselves...although I don't believe it isnear as painful in an animal and it definetly heals faster. My dog'slast nail problem was last week and his quick was ENTIRELY exposed, itlooks great now it already has a coating over the quick. I am happy Icould help you through this...it always sucks when things like thathappen, hard to prepare for something like that! Glad everything workedout good. Keep us posted on how the nail is doing please.

Fergi's mom

I sure was no help, I am glad she came along. I would have been freaking out .... I was..... LOL!

Latest posts

Back