Elf Makes a Huge Hit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
I'm still having issues with Elf kicking herlitter out and peeing in the wrong corners of her cage, so today I tookher to Petsmart with me to see if I could find something to do thetrick. I got a litter box that has a grate on it. I figure I can putthe litter under it, empty the poopies, and she can't dig it out. Withmy luck, she'll decide not to use it. :shock:

I got her a new soft harness like the one everyone likes here--the one I got at Xmas was too big, so I got her a smaller one.

I got a hay rack for her cage and some wood pieces for her to chew on.I got more Timothy hay. I got more Yesterday's News (haven't been ableto get to the Tractor Supply Store--really far away, yet) and anotherkind of litter that I want to try under the new litter box.

Elf made out like a bandit today.

She also got TONS of attention. She rode around in the childseat partof the cart--I padded it with a large towel. Sometimes she would liethere calm and quiet, other times she was all ears-perked-up poking hernose all around and out at people, begging them to pet her. She didn'thave to wait long for that at any turn. People came up saying "Awwwww"and "What a big bunny!" hehe Elf just ate up all the attention,hunkering down and enjoying all the petting. Luckily, everyone keptcontrol of their dogs.

If my camera was working, I'd take a picture of her in her new halter and her newly renovated cage--but it's not (grrr).

Sounds like a fun day! I've never seena litter box like that at petsmart, was it in the rabbit stuff?

Megan

No, it was in the cat stuff, but I really had tosearch for it. What I was looking for was a litterbox that had a bit ofa "lip" on it, so when she was kicking around, it wouldn't kick out sobad. This had the added bonus of a grate--like a sifting litter pan,but it also was the only one they had with a lip. We'll see how shelikes it.

Haha. I bet Elf enjoyed allthe attention today at petsmart! L0L. I'm too afraid to bring Emmy topetsmart..concerning her being stressed out because of the dog barksand everything. But now, I'm really planning to being Emmy to petsmarttomorrow to get more stuff for her! Thank god there is no schooltomorrow! lol. ehehe.

Elf mommy, how did yu bringElf in petsmart? Was it by a carriage or like was it by her embraced onyour chest? Leash? <-- in a term.

I had Elf's harness on, and carried her againstmy chest. My daughter carried the towel which I then put into thechildseat part of the cart and transferred Elf there. You know your bunbest. I know that Elf is mellow and lives around a bouncy boxer. I knewshe wouldn't stress at the dogs there, as she is exposed to dogs at thepark and outside when we're relaxing and she's on a leash.

If you're worried that your bun will bolt, then simply placing her inthe basket, might not be a good idea. Your bun might be better in yourarms, and then on harness in the small animal section (or fish section)where few dogs go. If she's jumpy, you might want to put her in thebasket child-seat section, with a continuous petting, hand on her fromyou. It's best to go with someone who can help you put things in thebasket, or keep his/her hand on the bun--let the bun sniff the scent ofa known person, while in the store. Even having my four year old aroundhelped.

Always make sure that the people around you know you have a bun along.If someone is walking along with a big dog, you might want to warn thembefore you pass them that there is a bun in the basket. It will helpthem, knowing their own dog, whether or not they need to tense the leador not. You don't want a big dog jumping up at your rabbit, freakingthe bun out, whether or not there's an incident.

Going out with a bun is fun :) Just do it smart :D

Aww shucks. I don't have aharness anywhere that's lying around in my house :( I was reallylooking forward to bringing her to petsmart tomorrow. You really HAVEto use a harness right? :D

54352_41395.jpg

I hope you can see the picture. Is this the kind of harness you have?

Honestly, I took the harness off once she was inthe child-seat. But again, it's knowing your bun. It's NOT a good ideato attach the leash to the cart. If the bun jumps out, they will becaught on the leash and really freak out. On the other hand, if youdon't have a harness/leash on the bun, and the bun escapes, it allowsyou a way of stopping/catching up with the bun easier. If you don'thave a leash/harness at ALL, then by all means, take the bun withyou--I can tell you from experience that when I just tried to wing iton size, the harness I got did not fit. Trying it on in the store wasvery helpful (I might have purchased one too small this time if shewasn't with me).

So it IS okay for me tobring Emmy to petsmart? So all i have to do is just have Emmy embracingme on my chest through the store? Hmmm..it really sounds like a goodidea. But the only thing that i'm worried about is the cold weatherover here in Desplaines! I mean its FREEZING! Is it necessary for herto be in my jacket to block the cold weather? Or no?

This actually is my first time planning to bringEmmy with me to the pet store. Sorry if im asking alot of questions..itend to do it when im most excited :p

mhiszxpinay wrote:
So it IS okay for me to bring Emmy topetsmart? So all i have to do is just have Emmy embracing me on mychest through the store?
As long as she has a harness on. Dogs are welcome in Petsmart and onemay scare her and she may jump out of your arms. If your rabbit isafraid of dogs or doesn't like a lot of action going on around them, Iwould not suggest it.

Questions are good :D

If Emmy is an inside bun, then I'm guessing keeping her warm from houseto car and car to store is a good idea. I'm reminded of Raspberry'shubby with Sebastian tucked inside his jacket at the soccer game. Ifnot in your jacket, then probably in a largy comfy towel--that you canthen use in the cart. I'm in Jacksonville, so although it's "nippy" itwas really jeans and t-shirt weather today and I wasn't too worriedabout Elf and the cold.

And yes! that is the exact leash and halter. I just looked on thepackage and it's called, "Comfort Harness and Stretchy Stroller".

yeah i used to take Missey for walks. around myneigherbor hood.. and she did very well! i didnt even have a harness onher (prob. because i've never use a harnesson an older rabbit)when theyare younger i do! but Missey loved going for walks!

i tried to bring Cinn into a small pet store to get her harness butthat didnt go very well she was very scared (i had her in a littlercarrier)

I really need to get Bo a harness. Hedoesn't mind riding in the car so I would like to take him to petsmartand just out for a walk sometimes.

My daughter really wants me to bring him to carpool at school one day this spring also.

I've brought the dog, and the kids go crazy. If I bring thebunny, I think all 300 and some odd kids are going to be swarming me!LOL!

I think she'll act OKAY inthere.. I mean she wont get "too" jumpy like go crazy..she'll be OKAY.But I think that if I tuck her in my jacket she will be fine..knowingshe'll be safe in there :D

Well if you don't have a harness you could simplymeasure her around the stomach and neck to get the idea of size sheneeds. I have the same harness as the picture posted above and the backof the package has the harnessmeasurements on it.

I know I'd never take mine to a pet store without a harness. :?Too worried how they'd react.

Hey, that's also a goodidea too. hehe. But the only thing that's the problem is that Emmydoesn't like anyone touching her around her tummy or near her neck..ithink those are her ticklish parts?

Latest posts

Back