rabbit shaking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
My new rabbit Raylann is relaxed enough t lie down n the sofa next to me but I can feel her shaking all over? is that a sign of anything?

To start off with the most obvious question... Is your home cold? Is there a draft? Did you clip any fur off? If I remember right, you said she has some stuff caked on her bum? Did you clip any fur off and she's chilled?

She could be scared, too. Berry-Boo does that every once in awhile if she hears something different. She gets little-body-quakes until she's comfortable about the strange new noise.

Cold is out of the question as she was kept in an very exposed hutch outdoors. Scared is possible since she wasn't used to being handled. The woman said she never really picked her up and God knows what she was used to from the five year old boy "owner":(

To be contradictory, my first thought was over heating. If she is used to being outside and exposed then she may be over heating in her thick outside coat. She may alternatively be stressed out (and some bunnies can look relaxed when stressed-my Candyfloss does this).

Do you have any other animals in your home besides rabbits that she may not have been in contact before? You know, like cats, dogs, birds, etc.? She could just be freaked out by new smells. I bet she will realize that you are the rescuer, and she shouldn't be afraid of you. :) You're such an angel to take her in!

Does it look like the bunny is shivering? Like little trembles all over their body? This is usually a sign of nervousness or being a little scared.. usually due to a new situation or surroundings or new noises that might seem scary (aka cooking sounds, loud stereo they're not used to, new people, etc).

On the other hand, if this is just the bunny's ears shaking or vibrating and the bunny is clearly relaxed, then it means the bunny is quite happy and contented. They usually do this after a long play time or petting session, flop on their side and their ears shake just a bit non stop for a while. Similar behavior to their tooth clicks, it's a way of purring.

Flashy wrote:
To be contradictory, my first thought was over heating. If she is used to being outside and exposed then she may be over heating in her thick outside coat. She may alternatively be stressed out (and some bunnies can look relaxed when stressed-my Candyfloss does this).
She probably was stressed out a bit not having been handled in a long time and being indoors with new smells and noises. We put her into her hutch this morning and she's been tucking into the fresh hay like mad. I still will take her in regularily to get her used to being handled. She really enjoys being groomed and doesn't do the shaking then. But may be she did get a small bit hot last night

When we bring Fluffball in after a while when she gets hot she starts shaking and we know then its time to take her out again. :)

Becca
christmas_tree.gif

Back