Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Pidgey's Story of Hope

Old 01-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
bunnymommy76

Hi there everyone,

I have a 8yr old male lop named Pidge. I wanted to share his story of hopewith everyone. It all began the week before Thanksgiving, I noticed that he wasn't eating his greens and he seemed to be walking funny. By 9:00 pm that night he couldn't stand at all, and would just fall over on his side, he also developed a head tilt. By this time I'm reallypanicking andrush him to the emergency vet. The doctor takes a look at him and finds a lump on his lower jaw, their only explaination is pasturella, but they preferred that we take him to our own vet in the morning. By now it is after midnight, they gave us some bayril to start him on told us to pad his pen with towels so he wouldn't hurt himself because of the extreme dizziness.

We took him into our vet first thing the next morning. After multiple cultures his doctor assurred us that it wasn't pasturella, he just has two different things going on at once! First he has a bad inner ear infection that is causing the head tilt and dizziness. The other issue is this lump on his jaw. It turned out to be an abcess, 3 months earlier he had a tooth pulled and now this abcess aparently formedaround the same spot. So, on December 5th he had surgery to remove the abcess, I was so worried about him being sedated with having the other issue with the dizziness and head tilt. They assured us that he would be okay. They told us that the surgery would take about a half hour. That was the LONGEST half hour I ever experienced. They let us know when he was in recovery, they wouldn't let us see him though because they said he was really out of it. They told us he had to stay in the hospital for 2 days after the surgery to monitor him. The next day I called to see how he was doing and if we could come visit him. The doctor got on the phone and said that he was doing exceptional and we could come get him!! He was sent home with a dermachlor solution that we had to use to flush out the surgery site twice a day with & enrofloxacin for his ear, plus the oral bayril. We also had to visit the vet every 3-5 days so that they can flush it out real good and checkthe healing progress. to this day, 1 1/2 months later we are still going back and forth to the vet.

The darn surgery site keeps filling up with pus. His ear is looking pretty good, its almost all cleared up and his head has returned to normal, no more tilt!! So, the last time we took him to the vet they did another culture, to see if the baytril is now resistant. Sure enough, while I am writing this the vet called and said that the culture came back and the baytril isnt working anymore and that they are going to switch his medication to Trimethoprim-sulpher? I hope this starts working for the poor guy, he has been through so much stress lately, the flushing every day, the trips to the vettwice a week (the vet is an hour away), the treatment in his ear (they had to sedate him twice to do a deep ear cleaning to get the pus out of his ear!) it has just been stressful on everyoneincluding his mommy's credit card. The vet billsare another story!I Thank God everyday that he is able to spend another day with me, I would hate to loose him after all this. He is my little miracle bunny, I don't know what keeps him going!

He's my little angel!

Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Haley
Retired Moderator

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hes so adorable! What a beautiful picture.

I went through abscesses with two of my bunnies. I cant find my original thread but heres one where I summarized what he went through with his jaw abscess: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=30257&forum_id=16&highlight=Max

You should definitetly talk to your vet about usingBicillin or PenG. Baytril and Bactrim (which I believe is the new one he's on) arent strong enough to fight abscesses. Most of us here have had success using PenG or Bicillin. Its injectible and works wonders. Max had his huge abscess and jaw bone removed almost a year ago now and no sign of it coming back.

You should definitely check out this link: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10

The information I gained in those articles and from advice on this forum saved Max's life.

Bless you and your little one for fighting so hard!

Haley

Old 01-19-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
maherwoman
Retired Moderator

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Aww...how handsome Pidge is...and what a little fighter! He knows he's got a good life with you, and sure doesn't wanna leave it!!

Wonderful story, and I hope to hear of continued improvement for that sweet baby boy (they're always babies to me, no matter how old)!

"The core of mans\' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless

I venture forth into the great unknown...

Old 01-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Phinnsmommy

Send a message via AIM to Phinnsmommy

Aww! What an adorable fighter!

And hey- I think you live by me. I live in Grayslake, IL. Near Gurnee, Mundelein etc.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #5
Offspring2099

Send a message via AIM to Offspring2099 Send a message via Yahoo to Offspring2099

bunnymommy76,

Our Penny had a jaw abscess, similar to Haley's. It had to be removed surgically along with a few teeth and jaw bone. After the first surgery, Penny's abscess site also filled up with pus, so our vet inserted antibiotic bead into the cheek. I believe it, slowly releases it's content, for up to 6 months.

Penny was also on PenicillinG/Bicillin shots for 8 months after surgery. Six months after we stopped giving the shots, the abscess came back, so we went back to the shots again. This time Bicillin cleared the abscess by itself, without surgery.

So maybe talk to your vet about the antibiotic beads and
Bicillin.

Dmitriy

EDIT: my old thread http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic....33&forum_id=16

Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
bunnymommy76

Thank you guys so much, I was actually going to call the vet tomorrow. I will ask to actually talk to the doctor and see if I can get him on one of those other meds you all mentioned. I don't know why he wasnt on that to begin with because through my research every article did mention Bicillin or PenG. I don't know why this doctor is dragging this out so much. He needs something else, thank you guys I am definitly going to mention those to his doctor. I will keep you updated!!

If you are interested in seeing more pics of my baby you can check it out here, I have my own pet photography business and of course pidge is my little model, there is a whole page of my two boys. Hehe

http://www.wagglesphoto.50megs.com

Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Haley
Retired Moderator

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Aww I love the photos! I wish you were closer to me!

As for the Bicillin/PenG a lot of vets just arent up to date on its use and success in treating abscesses. I went to three different vets who had never heard of its use. I literally had to print out material and take it in to show to them. I finally was able to get one vet to order it and send it home with me (he showed me how to do the injections on my own).

Also, I shuold mention that if your vet shows you how to do the injections but wants to charge you a lot for the medicine, you can usually find it cheaper at a farm/feed store because its the same medicine that they sell for use in cattle (over the counter). I dont know if you have a TSC (Tractor Supply Company) near you but they have both Bicillin and PenG for about 10.00 a bottle. The two meds are the same the Bicillin (also called Combi-Pen or Twin Pen)just has something that makes it last longer so you only have to give injections everyother day, whereas with the PenG you have to give it every day. That saved me a lot of money.

Keep us posted!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
timetowaste

Send a message via AIM to timetowaste Send a message via Yahoo to timetowaste

GOSH i wish you lived closer to me. your pictures are soooo beautiful! in fact i was just going to post something and ask when i saw your avatar if that was a professional picture, and then, boom there was my answer. i LOVE it!

awww little pidgey, keep up the good work and be brave for us and for mommy!

tracy

Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
timetowaste

Send a message via AIM to timetowaste Send a message via Yahoo to timetowaste

BUMP

How is Pidge doing? Any better? I love that guy, he is so on my bunnynapping list.

Thinking of you, Pidge, and Wrigley!

Tracy

Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
Offspring2099

Send a message via AIM to Offspring2099 Send a message via Yahoo to Offspring2099

Yeah whats going on?