Self-filling water bowls?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
Hey, well Im finding that i've been refilling the buns water bowl 3-4 times a day.

So I was thinking, do you think something like this would work for them:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751241

I dont mean exactly that kind, I would have to look around at a few brands, but do you guys know what I mean?

Oh and i've tried to get them to switch over to a bottle, but Phinn just wont take to it. Which is fine, because I think they drink more when a bowl is available anyway.

Hmm, my first thought is have you tried the crocks that attach to the cage? I have them, love them. Just wondering, possibly you have a bowl on the ground;).

So, the only thing I would think is, these would be good for you if the buns don't want to walk in them on a regular basis:p, and if they didn't hold too much water at a time, and bacteria didn't build up within the system.

All of my buns have them. I absolutley loath the sound of the metal ball clicking water bottles. That noise drives me nuts.
I got them all Le Bistros (just a different brand than the petmate) and I love them. To train them, I put it against the wall with a brick on the other side, so they could not knock it over. Eventually, I moved the brick and all was well. I just recommend keeping it away from the litter box, because poop may get in it.
I wash it eveytime it needs to be refilled, because they do collect hair. But overall I really like them. It is so mch easier.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Hmm, my first thought is have you tried the crocks that attach to the cage? I have them, love them. Just wondering, possibly you have a bowl on the ground;).

So, the only thing I would think is, these would be good for you if the buns don't want to walk in them on a regular basis:p, and if they didn't hold too much water at a time, and bacteria didn't build up within the system.

AngelnSnuffy,

Can you take a picture of this, I have been looking and can't find anything like this.

THanks,

Joy

You mean a pic of the crocks attached to the cage, Joy? If so, sure:D. When I get a minute, I can get a pic that I have in my blog, or you can check out the last page, last post of mine in my blog, there's one there;).

MikeScones' Scone has a self waterer. I had one for our cat and it scared him when it gurgled. :rollseyes

Then one day it dumped all the water on the floor and I gave up.

I have one... for the cats when we're away. I've thought about giving one to the buns, Oberon drinks LOTS of water. But I worry about them knocking it over. Loki is really strong and loves throwing stuff around, anything, including full litter boxes with metal weights in the bottom.:shock:

Maybe if I attached it to the pen wall somehow, but that sounds like an awful lot of work, LOL!

Thanks guys!

I would use a crock, but they are moving into a situation that is free range, so there is no where to put a crock.

Im scared of it over flowing or something! Do you think that would happen?

I would just use a heavy crock. You are still going to have to dump out and refill the self-waterer, because it is going to get hair and poop in the bowl part.

I have crocks for my buns, and I wash their crocks with hot soapy water, rinse, dry, fill with ice cubes, then filtered water.

I think that fresh water, even if you have to do it up to 10 times a day, is always better :).

I do have a self-filling water bowl for Buddy and Roxie. Buddy drinks as much water as about 3 bunnies would so I bought it especially for him. With two bunnies drinking out of it, it is empty ever 2 or 3 days but I refill it about every other day. The good thing is that when it gets poop or dirt in it, you just dump that water section out and it refills! :biggrin2:

This is the one I have. It works very well.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751255&cp=2767033.2768973&pg=4&fbn=Taxonomy%7CBowls+%26+Feeders&fbc=1&clickid=topnav_dropdown1_link1&parentPage=family&keepsr=1

Make sure you get the one for water. I accidentally got the one for food and had to go back and get the one for water! :p

Megan

Great, thanks Megan!

I remember having one for our cats when I was little, but they were scared of it, because it made the gurgling noise when it refilled (LOL just realized Bo B Bunny said the same thing:))

I have one for my rabbits, one for the cats, and one for the dogs. It makes life just a little easier when you have a zillion animls and kids and a full time job.

Phinnsmommy wrote:
Great, thanks Megan!

I remember having one for our cats when I was little, but they were scared of it, because it made the gurgling noise when it refilled (LOL just realized Bo B Bunny said the same thing:))

Tank is sort of a goofball LOL!

When a storm is approaching, we know where to find him..... hiding in the towel cupboard in the bathroom.... LOL!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Phinnsmommy wrote:
Great, thanks Megan!

Tank is sort of a goofball LOL! 

When a storm is approaching, we know where to find him..... hiding in the towel cupboard in the bathroom.... LOL!

Aww :laughsmiley:

Yeah, he also drools. If you let him lay on your lap while watching tv or something, he will lay there and purr and drool or make biscuts (kneading the paws) on you and drool......

I have that in the living room everyone uses it.

Used to use this.

100_6914.jpg

Ringo uses this it is $4.98 at Walmart

100_9122.jpg

Joy, here is another pic I have showing the crock attached to the cage. Hopefully this is what you were asking about;) This particular pic was taken for another member, showing how I have the door on Snuff's cage, but clearly shows the crock too:D. You can put it any height that works best too, which is a plus;).

DSCN0892.jpg

Latest posts

Back