Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Dewlap (Graphic Photos)

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Ivory

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone here ever had a doe with a dewlap that was too large, but otherwise she was in good health? Have anyone ever experienced a rabbit dewlap reduction on said rabbits?

I know some rabbits get pretty big dewlaps, but the one I'm fostering at the moment has trouble grooming, so we're performing a reduction on her dewlap. I was just curious if anyone has also experienced this.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Bo B Bunny

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OMGosh - I know it's serious, but I can't help but see the joke in the big chested bunny needing a reduction! Sorry.

Honestly, that's something I've heard of but never have heard of the reduction surgery. Is it worth the surgery? I mean - rabbits have a hard time healing and stuff anyhow don't they?

I think I've always heard that you just have to make sure it's kept clean and dry for them.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
Ivory

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The problem is if they can't perform cecotrophy, they become depressed. They become frustrated and unhappy.

It's not any different than removing just regular skin- the surgery itself isn't bad. Actually the number of stitches are small considering.

Not to mention...chronic moist dermatitis isn't as easy to constantly be treated as you'd think.

I'm not worried about Pellette's surgery so much because he's done it before, I was just curious if anyone else has ever had it done.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Bo B Bunny

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ohhhh - that makes sense.

I'm glad she will be ok. I've just always heard - if you don't have to cut - don't cut on bunnies.

Cecals makes sense too tho....

do we have a photo of the enormous dewlap?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
tundrakatiebean

Could we get before and after photos? I'm way curious about this...

Old 10-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #6
Bo B Bunny

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Could be a good thing to reference in our medical stuff since it's not common apparently!

You never know who it might help.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
Ivory

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Actually I've been trying to get a decent picture of Pellette's dewlap. It's huge, and it's in layers. Thing is, she isn't overweight at all. It's really odd, and it's weird to take a picture of. The best way of seeing it is if she's standing up or laying down, but I can't get a pic of her standing....or laying down.

Before she actually gets the surgery, we're obviously going to conduct a thorough search on her to make sure that it isn't something else. Pre-op bloodwork came back normal. I think we're probably going to take X-rays of it. Really...it's huge. But it's not so much that it's huge, so much as she can hardly groom herself. She can't reach her bottom. She does have rolls of skin on the rest of her body, too, but they aren't preventing her from grooming/being happy/participating in normal rabbit behaviors.

Here is the best I got today. I've seen some huge dewlaps, particularly in Rex mixes like Pellette (or at least she looks like a Rex mix) but never one as huge as hers. And I've seen a lot. The only bigger one I've seen was in a rabbit I had named Merry, who was a Mini-Rex that weighed about eleven pounds. She was just enormous all around.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:43 AM   #8
Maureen Las
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

are you sure that thats a dewlap and not a growth? Its not shaped like a normal dewlap..its all in one spot.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
Ivory

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

And I just had the camera focused on her and everything and she just HAD to move from the perfect position to see it! *grumble*

Here's another from a while back...

I'll also mention that she's quite a young rabbit, an adult, but a young adult, a little over a year.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 AM   #10
Ivory

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That's exactly why we're taking X-rays. When palpated it feels like a normal dewlap, albeit huge.