No connection with Skip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetegocalderon

Reaction score
Ever since I lost Beans, my very first bunny, I've had a little hole in my heart that won't go away. Not even the other bunnies can fill her shoes. I ended up getting another rabbit, Skip, who I've mentioned on here before. I've had him for a few months now and although I adore him I don't really feel that connection with him that I do with my other rabbits. I felt more of a connection with Tank (for those of you who remember that little terror), lol. I don't know, at least Tank had some personality to him. I could take him out for walks (while covering up my hands and wearing high boots so he didnt maul me to death). And I've always felt a strong connection to Marshy and Rice. But for some reason, I just don't feel that with Skip. Does anyone know why this could be? I chose him out of all the other bunnies at the shelter because he had coming right up to the front of the cage to be petted. He seemed to affectionate. He still likes to be petted but for some reason I'm just not feeling that closeness to him and I don't know why. Any ideas?

I had a bit of a hard time bonding with Trixie when she first got here (couldn't get over that "she's not totally MY bunny" type thing)...

Here's what I did: I laid down on the floor, eye to her. And I just laid there and pet her for LONG periods of time everyday. Turns out she was just as uncomfortable as I was at first, and that love went a LONG way. She's a funny bunny...could take or leave attention in general, but she and I have DEFINITELY bonded now.

That, and I would play the game of "Ignore the Bunny"...bring a novel to read while sitting next to her cage (which she will promptly try to steal), or when playing D&D, would play on the floor, leaving my Character Sheet on the floor (which she also would LOVE to steal).

Here's a picture of her stealing it:

000_2050.jpg

000_2051.jpg

Now, she stands on her hind legs when I open her top door to give me kisses...and sometimes she just gives me this LOOK that I know says, "Mama...come give me LOVE!!" Who can resist this face?

000_2053.jpg

I had the same problem when I got Charlie. Misty and I were so well bonded that when CHarlie came along I think I felt like I was betraying her and stayed away.

Same with Oliver a bit.

I found that after I had to treat Charlie for stasis, he bonded to me more closely and I am not toally attached to him. same with Oliver - I only felt like we bonded since he's been injured and I have had to love on him.

Maybe you just need to spend time with JUST him and ignore all the other bunnies while you are with him. Spend a day with only him in the room with you so you can get to know him. Maybe you have just been too busy to take time for just you and he to get to know each other.

Rosie's suggestions are great.

Nadia

Thanks guys. I'll try the suggestions. It just occurred to me also that I had the other bunnies before I met my current bf. And I used to let them climb on whatever the wanted (couch, bed, etc.) And I would spend time with them watching t.v. etc while on the sofa. But now that I live with my bf he doesnt approve of having them all over the furniture because of the shedding and Skip happened to be adopted after we started living together. So maybe that's another reason why we haven't bonded like I thought we would. I guess I'll just have park my butt on the floor some more!

Invest in some goodd floor cushions :pIf you can you could buy cheap slipcovers for your furniture so that it doesn't turn into FUR-niture :pmaybe you're boyfriend might prefer that, you can just rip 'em off and throw them in the washer easy peasy.

LOL to the D&D stuff! I just had to add that Oberon jumped from my lap and onto the table last time, scattering minis everywhere. He checked everyone out and insisted on being petted by everybody, then plopped down between me and my hubby right on the pile of dice. :D

I think you should tell the boyfriend that couch bunnies are a lot of fun, so he should allow it. Get one of those sticky rollers to pick up loose fur afterwards, if they are shedding.

Hehe!! The miniatures scattered to avoid the bunny teeth! :biggrin2:

I just love what the girls do when I let them out and I play on the floor. It's so funny, their reaction to the dice...though after the first time, and seeing their interest in them, I've kept them out of their reach (given that I'm worried that they'll try to eat one and choke on it...is that paranoid?).

I love that Oberon sat on the dice...he knows his priorities! :biggrin2:

come to think of it, when i play 500 rummy on the floor with my friends and Skip happens to be out he always tries to hop over and snatch a card and take off with it. i think its so cute.

Hehe!

See? You're doing good...obviously he's bonded with you to some degree if he's brave enough to swipe a card! :D

You're doing a good job...stop doubting yourself!

:bouquet::hugsquish:

Latest posts

Back