Why is my rabbit drooling?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephiemarie78

Reaction score
Snoopy was drooling so much today his front paws are wet. I noticed it when i was watching him he seemed like he was half alseep. He is eating and drinking just fine.

Generally rabbits drool due to teeth issues, specifically molar spurs.

He should see a rabbit savvy vet beofre it progresses to stasis....the vet should know how to view the molars without having to put him under(unless they are inexperienced)....they are tricky to view properly

stephiemarie78 wrote:
Snoopy was drooling so much today his front paws are wet. Inoticed it when i was watching him he seemed like he was half alseep.He is eating and drinking just fine.

Are you sure it was drool and not wet breath? If you've got warm weather happening there, he could be overheating.Rabbits dispel their body heat through their breath (they're air-cooled). Signs of an over-heated rabbit include a wet muzzle and chest.

That may account for his appetitenot being affected.

With molar spurs (the usual drool culprit)there's usually at least a minor change in diet habbits -- they stop eating one thing but not another,they chew differently,something like that.

Remind me... how old is Snoopy and what breed is he again?

PS: If it is hot, try putting a fan on him, or a frozen water bottle in his cage.

sas :?

Snoopy is a year old and no clue what breed he is he has soft hair like a rex but it's long. He shares a cage with Chloe they eat from the same bowl i put about 3/4 cups of pellets in it and it's empty by morning. The AC is on year long i live in florida , i don't think it's very hot in the apartment. I don't like it hot either.
l_ea82a6da11d5c099ab85abae52545aaf.jpg

Hi,

If your bun is drooling and it is cool in his environment, he needs to be at a vet like yesterday. That is an indication of a dental issue...most likely molar spurs or possibly an impaction issue. Not trying to scare you...but to encourage you to get to a vet ASAP....but one of my friends lost her bun last week due to an abscess from molar impaction...and I had to send one of my little rescues on a journey due to a dental issue that his previous humans ignored. I also have a little Hotot that was hit by a car that broke her jaw....she has an occlusion issue with her molars and has to have them trimmed every couple of months.

Randy

Many of the onesI have with molar spurs eat nromaly until one day, they just stop or I wake up and they are soaked in drool. It happens that fast. Others don't even drool....I just know every few months they have to go in or otehrs have a change in their poops as an indicator. Each bunny is different but drool more liekly than not is teeth related.

Also, if he is sharing with your other bun, chances are she's eating his share. Remember they are a prey species so they will hide signs and symptoms until it is almost too late.

PS - He looks like an English Spot mix.

I can say that she is up very late and does watch them eat. He has a very very healthy appetite at least at the moment.

I know she is currently looking for a vet. She just saw one this week and she didn't like her.

I absolutely agree with Randy and Lisa. If it's not hot, and if you're not sure what and how he's eating, you're most likely looking fora dental issue.

My molar spurs bunny is onethat shows no symptoms other than she suddenly stops eating (although she'll stop eating veggies first,and then pellets).

The vet at first dismissed molar spurs because there was no drool orother symptoms, and a visual exam with a scope showed nospurs. Hewanted to treat her for stasis, parasites, etc, I had to insist on a dental X-ray, and that revealed the spurs on the very back molars.

Let us know how it goes!

sas

I'll see if i can get him in tommorow. I'm watching him right now he's eating and drinking as normal. He's going nuts for his treats nothing has changed. Acutally right now he's got half of the food on the cage floor picking out what he wants to eat. I recently changed him to oxbow i'm still mixing it.

Usagi had this last week. The drooling is what tipped me off with him. He also was still eating but less and he was lethargic. It was spurs on his molars. I got him in the next day and they trimmed his molars so I agree with the above.

Usagi_Chan

Any sensitivity if you feel around his jaw line?

Is he still drooling? (It's also possible he had something caught in his teeth -- I had a bunny look deathly ill when it was a celery string in his tooth).

Has anybody heard of drooling reactions fromfood? I know certain plants can cause that reaction. Any chance he was munching on a houseplant?

EDIT: Just saw where you said he was picking outcertain pellets?Has he always beendoing that? He may be going for the softer ones, so that's another molar spur sign.

Yea he's always dug through his food. I did check him from what i saw everything looked find he really wouldn't open up very much for me though. He didn't act like it was painfull i did feel around. I just saw it cuz he was sleeping and she's never slept when im around to see it. He's recently since i let chloe live with him seems to be very comfortable. I don't have any houseplants. At 1st i thought he was drooling in his sleep lol but under his chin is a little wet not very much

edit to add i just gave them veggies he starting right away
at what temp would a bunny get hot? what could be cool to me might be hot to him. It in the 80's

The 80's are pretty hot for a rabbit.Did it get hot around the same time the drooling started?

Here's a link to the Cooling A Rabbit thread, I just pinned it for the summer.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=864&forum_id=1

And here's the gist of the first page (courtesy of Carolyn and Pam).

Carolyn wrote:

Here's info on keeping rabbits cool:

Air movement is required for proper cooling in very humid areas or moisture cannot evaporate. While many say to never blow a fan directly on the rabbit, I recommend it when it's extremely hot and humid. Place the fan a distance from the rabbit and have it gently blowing over the hot bunn. A little water can be placed on the ears, which serves to cool as it evaporates.

Understanding how the rabbit cools itself helps us to provide the most comfortable environment for our rabbits:

The rabbit is cooled by 3 primary factors: Respiration, Ears and Nasal Mucosa.

80% of heat dissipation in rabbits occurs through the evaporation of moisture during respiration (breathing). Fans help this cooling process by speeding evaporation.

Cooling also occurs through nasal mucosa (by air passing over mucous membranes).

The ears are also important for cooling as the blood moves to the farthest (coolest) points away from the body core.

The rabbit will also stretch it�s body out as far as possible to cool through radiation/convection. Rabbits do not have functional sweat glands, and only loose a small amount of moisture through the skin dueto perspiration. The rabbit�s fur further inhibits the process of the rabbit being able to cool itself by evaporation of moisture from the skin.

Since the rabbit cools primarily through respiration, we want to provide air movement throughout the cage to evaporate the moisture from the rabbit's breath. In a serious situation of heat stress, you will notice moisture around the rabbits face (especially around the mouth and nose) because the moisture is not evaporating.

A frozen bottle may be of only limited help without the proper air movement and evaporation.

Pam Nock

Tips for prevention of Heat Stroke:

Heatstroke can kill a rabbit very quickly. Some things that you can do to prevent such an untimely and unnecessary death for your lagamorph are listed below.

1) Be sure to provide your rabbit shade. Rabbits can get sun/heat stroke just by having their cage in the sun. Best to be sure the location of the cage is away from where the sun rays will beam in.

2) Don't subject your rabbit to extreme temperatures: hot or air conditioning. Air conditioning can be used, but it's best to have your rabbit in a separate room so that the room doesn't get too cold or the air isn't blowing on the rabbit.

3) Be sure they have a lot of water; they tend to drink more in the summer to stay cool.

4) You can use a fan. I like toaimthe fanso that the air will reach part of the cage, but if the rabbit feels it's too much,s/he can move out of the way. If you're going to keep your fan on all day, best to keep it on low.

5) If the rabbit is indoors, on really hot days Iclose the shades to keep out as muchheat as possible.

6) If the rabbit is outside, you may want to mist the ears a bit in the heat of the afternoon.

7) Some people fill old milk cartons or soda bottles with cold water and put them in the cage with their rabbit so that s/he can lean up against it if it gets very cool.

80 degrees fahrenheit or above is dangerous for a rabbit.

SYMPTOMS/SIGNS OF DANGER OF HEAT STROKE:

1) Rabbit is laying stretched out

2) Panting or heavy breathing

3) Sometimes there's foaming at the mouth

4) Muzzle is wet

thanks for all the information =) I have no idea what the temp is inside the apartment and I just noticed the drooling today, I'm rather sure that it just started I'm sure I would have noticed it before. It's been in the 80's for awhile. I'll buy something so i know what the temp is. The cage is next to the window and I never have the blinds open. It could very well be in the mid 70'sin the apartment. Having lived in florida for a few year 80 doesn't seem hot to me. I have looked at that list =)

For Usagi it was $152. That's in Raleigh NC and at a vet that specialized in exotics, which includes rabbits. Pipp tells me that if you know for sure that molar spurs is the problem a person can schedule the rabbit directly for surgery and avoid about $50.

Usagi_Chan

well it makes sense, i was looking it up and reading more about it. sometimes he sneezes not often so i didn't think anything about it. I have noticed that he seems to act like he is chewing a lot even when he's not eating. But he is still drinking and eating. i'm going to call a few places. Id hate to wait till monday incase he stops eating this weekend.

stephiemarie78 wrote:
I have noticed that he seems to act like he is chewing a lot even when he's not eating.
Classic sign.

Yes, best to get him in somewhere before it's an emergency, it will save you money as well. ER appointments can be ridiculous, as Usagi Chan well knows. :(

I don't have a huge problem keeping Pipp (my spurs bunny) going for a few days on canned pumpkin, grated veggies and pellet slurrys. When the spurs act up, sheusually WANTS to eat, but when shegoes to chew it,shefolds. She runs to her'I don't feel well' spot for the rest of the day. (She's a bit of a wimp at best).I give herpumpkin andgrated veggies ona plate seeing as she keeps eating pellets for awhile.That keeps her going.

I've also discovered the importance of keeping her drinking.Even when she's not sick she's not a big drinker, so when I give her a separate crock with dilutedcarrot or apple juice, she's really a different bunny-- way more active and happy. And when her spurs are actingup, getting her drinking isoften the difference in getting her eating. If I make herdrink, she eats on her own.

It's agood ideato get Snoopyused to drinking and eating pumpkin and/orslurrypreferably out of syringe, now, before it becomes something he doesn't want to do. If he makes friends with it -- the food and the method-the easier time you'll have down the road. (At least in theory). ;)

I'd startby givinghim some diluted juice, pedialye and/or somethingelse he views as atreats from it. (My vetsuggestedthat I spike her slurry with honey, but she has other problems, so I don't like rocking that boat).

I'll add that I started making a point of feeding her morehard veggies, different sizes and shapes ofpellets and giving hermultiple types of hay(which she won't touch), apple tree branches and expensive clothes tochew (she prefers the latter), and managed to break off one set and keep them at bay for almost a year, and this was after it was looking like she'd need trims between six weeks and two months, so it can be done.

Latest posts

Back