Switching Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
OK so this is probably a dumb question:foreheadsmack:, I going to be buying a new type of Timothy Hay do I have to switch it gradually like you with pellets?

Thanks

Susan and the Gang:bunnydance::apollo::bunny19:bunnyheart

I would not think so...I have bought different types of hay online and from feed stores and I have never had any problems with my rabbits adjusting to different hay

Kim

If you are just switching from one brand of Timothy hay to another brand of Timothy hay to another, you should be fine.

But, it's when you switch between protein contents or switch between textures that you might want to have a short transition period. Especially if you are switching from a lower protein (ie- grass hay) toa higher protein (ie- legume hay/alfalfa). Also, switching from a very coarse hay to a very fine hay can cause some problems until the rabbit adjusts. It doesn't have to be a long time for you bunny to get used to the changes, but a 2 or 3 days would be good to play it safe.

Naa...just give them the new hay. Hay is hay is hay. :)

Of course, if you were switching between TYPES of hay, that's different...but if it's the same kind, you're fine to just give them the new stuff. :)

We have a good supply, An Alberta Product, even though it is store bought (more expensive), so I never had to worryabout Timothy Hay here.

I do keep a smaller bag of Alfalfa Hay, which I give to Pebbles occasionally as a treat.

Rainbows! :)

Latest posts

Back