Litter training tips please!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmmcnair

Reaction score
Well,the new bun, who I have decided to name Ozzy, is not pottytraining!!! I put some of his pellets into the litter box, Iput hay into the litter box. Nothing!!! Heck, evenElla can't make the litter box all the time!!! What am Idoing wrong? I want them potty training before I let themventure into the house!!!
Oh and any tips on how to keep the urine in the cage???? Hekeeps missing and shooting outside!!!! I hope he isn't sprayingyet. He's maybe about 4 months??? Can anyone tellby the pic?
I named him Ozzy for Ozzy Osbourne.It's the eyeband....I couldn'tresist!!

Okay, I justhad to share this with everyone!!! My youngest son got a holdof a marker, while I was visiting the potty, and decided to decoratehis sister and himself with it. The water turned green by thetime I was done.

My little greenmartians!

Cute pics. :)

It takes some time and a LOT of patience to train, Dmmcnair. Trust me, I went through it very recently with my baby bunny.

What we did was keep her in the cage more than out, and her outsidecage time was highly supervised. The moment she would poop, into herlitter pan she went. It took a couple of weeks for her to catch on. Iremember getting very frustrated and convinced she would never learn.But then one day, all of a sudden, all the pooping outside the cagestopped. I was lucky with my other rabbit, who was a rescue and came tome litter trained.

About the peeing outside of the cage, I'm not sure what to tell you asmy male rabbit never did that. He did spray me once (yes, me and it wasdeliberate I swear), and he sprayed other areas, so he was promptlynuetured and that helped a great deal. Your bun is getting to the ageto get fixed too, maybe you should begin to think about that. It doesmake litter training easier.

Meanwhile, good luck. Rabbits do catch on eventually, but I hear youloud and clear when you feel like that day will never come. Hang inthere!

I agree with Stephanie. It takes timeand patience. Sometimes it's a good idea to have more thanone litter pan.

As for keeping the urine in the cage, you might want to get some urineguards. They are 4 inches high and have a slant at the bottomto keep the urine in the cage. They come in different lengthsdepending on the size of your cage (ex:12", 18", 24", 30")

We here at BUNNYRABBIT.com sell urine guards along with everything elseyou need for your bunnies:) Just click on the rotating linkabove.

Good luck,

Pat

Well, Ihad Ella out for a bit in the living room, after the kids were in bedof course! She did pretty good, except she wouldn't let metrim her nails, and does she need it!!! And everytime I triedto trance her she pooped on me! :shock:At least shehasn't urinated on me! Well anyway, I just let her hang outwith us for a little bit. I am designing new cages for Ellaand Ozzy, so they have been moved to a temp cage. I don'tthink they like it much.

It's weird, when I startedpotty training Ella, I just put a few of her poopies in the litter box,and whallah, she went potty in there pretty consistently, but now it'spretty much hit or miss. (I think it's the cagechanging). But Ozzy won't even go in the litterbox. I put him in it, and off he goes to potty somewhereelse. I even moved the litter box to where I see most of hisstuff, and he will just go somewhere else, thestinker.:p

Oh well, they are about togo through some more change, cause I finally get to move them to theirown little room. They are in my dining room rightnow. Ella will like it, because she will get to run freemore. The floor is concrete...easy cleanup, and bunnyproof...as long as they don't start chewing onshoes!

Thanks for the tips,

Dawn

Pat, are ya'll close to new braunfels or sanmarcos? I used to live in both places and work at universityhospital in san antonio.

Dawn

I have found that Rabbits pee where they want, ifyou make them do something often enough they wil realise, put the boxwhere they normally pee and then they will go in it, introduce thelitte box to the cage one night and you will find they go in it.

I am lucky, Huggy and Hutch just don't pee in th house, and sorry for the language, but Huggy is a Hopping **** Machine!!!!

I am lucky, Huggy and Hutch just don't peein th house, and sorry for the language, but Huggy is a Hopping ShitMachine!!!!
I know about the Hopping ShitMachine, Ella and Bubba both are!!! Bubba has a mat in hiscage for his feet, he uses it for the litter box!!! Then helays in it and then it gets stuck on his tummy and jewels!That bunny is going to be the death of me!!! Hopefully Ellawill get it soon, I'm not so sure about Ozzy though. I didn'tjust name him Ozzy for the eyebands!!! He seems like he'slost a few brain cells due to overimbibing like hisnamesake!!! But he's sweet, even if he can't figure out whythe litter box is there.

Dawn

It might be the litter he doesn't like. Mine willonly use the litter tray if it's hay, and if I put anything under thehay to absorb the smell, like yesterdays news or the pine pellets, theywon't use it at all. I have no idea why, it's very annoying but whenit's just the hay they use it no problem, when itsamixisn't they go everywhere but! I'm hoping to change thiseventually as hay smells a lot more than any other alternative, but inthe meantime at least it means they go in the tray, well not alwaystheir pellets :?. Maybe if he won't use the hay he was used to someother sort? I don't know, rabbits just have a mind of their own!

You know Rowan, you may be right. WhenI potty trained Ella the first time I used a different litter, it waswood pellets, and now I am using corn cob something or other...maybe Ineed to find the other litter, they didn't have it when I went for morelitter that's why I'm using the corn cob stuff....hmmmm.

Thanks

You may have just saved mysanity!!!

I'll let you know!!!

Dawn

Back