Should I get him?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysoblue

Reaction score
Some of you may remember Momiji, the rather oldrabbit I got awhile back. He is doing great, and I am thinking aboutgetting him a bunny friend, but I'm not sure if its the right thing todo or not.

The lady who had Momiji now has a litter of one month old rabbits, andis selling them for 5 dollars each. I know the people buying them, andthey will be in similar conditions as to how she keeps hers. Shedosen't care who buys them as long as they give her the money.

I don't want to encourage irresponsible breeding, but he will be soldregardless if its me or someone else buying him, and I would offer hima much better home, indoors with free range time, and he will getvetted and neutered, something most people around here won't do.

The one I have my eye on is a really cute and pretty social (I havebeen handling them pretty much every day, to try to keep them frombeing mean like thier mom) little grey boy who I have named Wolfie. Ihave already named him.... I guess hes mine, isn't he?:rollseyes

Please do not purchase anyanimals from any byb. If you have room in your heart fromanother rabbit, please adopt one from your local rescue orshelter. Whether you like it or not, by purchasing thislittle one, you would be supportingirresponsible breeding. Why purchase an animal from a byb, when thereare thousands of homeless, wonderful rabbits, waiting for their foreverhomes right now. Some don't have much time to lose.

From the HRS website.

The Sad Truth About Rabbit Overpopulation
pixel.gif
by Amy Shapiro
The House Rabbit Society exists because rabbits are being dumped atshelters every day of the year. Right now, as you read this, healthyrabbits are being killed at animal shelters simply because there aremore wonderful rabbits than there are rabbit-people.
What can we do to stop the killing? Adopt from a shelter.
Do not allow your rabbit to have even one litter. Even if you find goodhomes for those babies, those are good homes that the shelter rabbitswon't get. And what if each of those babies is allowed to have onelitter? Will you take responsibility for each of them finding a goodhome? I can guarantee thatwithin one or two generations a rabbit fromthat "just one litter" will end up dead at a shelter.
Talk to others about this problem. Many people are unaware of how manyrabbits are being surrendered and euthanized at shelters-and comparedto the ones who are dumped in fields, those at shelters are the luckyones. Lucky to have a lethal overdose of sodium pentothal injected by acaring person!
What have we come to when that's the best we can offer these guys?To purchase from a breeder or pet store is to write adeath warrant for a shelter rabbit.
It's as simple as that.

To purchase from a breeder or pet store is to write a death warrant for a shelter rabbit.
It's as simple as that.

~~~

I disagree with this wholeheartedly - as a breeder.

Our nearest shelter that I know of is FIVE HOURS one way. I know of noone in this area who will drive that far to adopt from a shelter.

I'm not saying that people should not adopt from shelters.

I'm simply saying that statement is wrong because the people who buy from me have no shelter to go to.

Peg

There is one shelter in this town, and eversince I was thinking about getting a rabbit (when I first thought aboutgetting Momiji) I have given them my number saying that I was lookingfor a rabbit, and they haven't gotten any in. I have looked in person afew times and made sure they still knew I am looking for a rabbit. Ihave volunteered at this shelter before, and with the few years there,I only remember twice getting a rabbit in, and they were adopted veryquickly.

I look on Petfinder every now and then, and the closest I have seenlisted is over an hour away, and I am not comfortable driving on theinterstate. I know some rescues do transportation, but I want to meetan animal before I adopt it.

I need to add my 2 cents here. We have4 wonderful/beautiful rabbits that mean the world to my husband andI.

Out of the 4 Buttercup and Daisy Mae to some extent are very friendly and loving.

Wilbur & Jackie who are bonded don't give two hoots aboutus. They very seldom let us pick them up or even pet them forthat matter. I would bet my last dollar that if someone withchildren had bought Wilbur & Jackie they would have beenabandoned outside or left at a shelter because they are not thefriendliest bunnies.

Bunnies from Pets stores deserve a good lifetoo.They did not ask to be brought into this worldand yes maybe if people stopped purchasing them their wouldn't be somany in the shelters, but I'm sure most people know that is not goingto happen.

I also wished I had known about shelters because I would have checkedthem out BUT I do not regret for one minute buying my babies from thepet store. They have all brought so much love into my lifeand my husband and I have returned that love to all of them.

Susan:bunnydance:

I think if you want it and you can provide agood home for it, you should get it. It doesn't matter where you gethim from, someone else will if you don't.
I don't believe that getting a bunny from a shelter or a petstore iswriting a death warrant for one at a shelter because if you don't adopthim he may end up at the shelter anyways.
I got my baby from a petstore and she is just as deserving as any little bunny.

Susan - I completely agree with yourpost. I truly believe that getting a bunny from a pet storeor a breeder can be considered rescuing it from a potentially badhome. While I do plan to get my next bunny at a shelter, myfirst bunny was from a pet store and gave me 11.5 years of love, and mycurrent bunnies are from breeders. I can't imagine what wouldhave happened to them if I had not adopted them - especially Penelope,as her breeder shut down right after I got her and who knows where shewould have ended up. She is an amazing rabbit and I feel thatin a way I "rescued" her. I do think it is very important forpeople to adopt from shelters, but I don't think anyone should beslammed for going another route.

I have 8 in my house. 6 our mine. 3 petstorerescues 1 private rescue, 1 shelter, 1 from a rescue. 1 foster who wasadopted from a shelter and returned 2 years later his papers stating hewas never let out. The other is my moms and he was a petstore rescue.

I love them all. Ringo and Connor were from a petstore and they bothhad alot of health issues. In Ringos case if someone else had boughthim he more than likely would have been put to sleep.

Get them were you can and love them. They all deserve love and good homes.That is all that matters.

Irresponsible breeding causes a lot of heartacheand problems for everyone...We have a situation at an elementary schoolright now because of an irresponsiblebreeder living acrossfrom the school breeding rabbits, trying to sell them during easter andthe ones he does not sell he releases..consequently they endup at the elementary school (the last count at the school was 43rabbits now they are breeding and living under walkways andschool buildings. This happens all the time...The poor rabbits suffer,no food, water and the predators have a field day with them because wefind their carcasses all the time........What a shame...

Ok, I have a few questions for if/when I get him.

The cage I got is 30 by 36 inches, and 18 inches high. Is this suitablefor 2 rabbits? They are pretty much average as far as size goes,neither dwarf nor giant. They will get at least 1 hour of free-rangetime a day.

Wolfie will be one month old around the 7th, I believe. When is theright time to introduce him to Momiji? Momiji is around 12 years oldand unneutered. I have been told that Momiji is too old to havesurguery, but Wolfie will be neutered, of course. At what age should hebe neutered? Do I need to wait until then to introduce him to Momiji?

Is it ok to bond an older rabbit with a very young rabbit?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to do things right.

Hmm, I don't really know the anwsers to any ofyour questions, but I decided to post since no one anwsered them yet.From what I have read on here the bunnies need to be able to do 4 hopsin their cage, but I don't know about 2 together, that honestly doesn'tsound like enough room to me, but like I said, I don't know any ofthese anwsers.
And my other comment is, I'm not sure if age will be a problem, itseems to me if a bunny goes solo for 12 years they won't take well tosomethig new/young that will most likely be bouncing all over him!

Good luck, and sorry i'm not much help!

I should qualify my last post:

If there are no shelters available - please do your research and adoptfrom a "reputable" breeder. Tinys mom - maybe you might knowof someone in her area?

Always try and keep the big picture in mind, I am not saying that thoserabbits in pet stores are not deserving of loving homes, but bypurchasing from a byb or pet store, you are fueling the fire - theyhave no incentive to not stock their stores from bybs or mills; therabbit you purchased will quickly be replaced in that store by anotherrabbit, which will sit in the store in poor conditions- andthe cycle continues. Same with an irresponsible breeder.Perhaps you could use your contact with this one to prpvide her withsome education? Prhaps point out ways to give better housing,benefits of spay and neutering, how she can better direct her love ofanimals?

I'd also like to say that in my opinion, purchasing from anirresponsible breeder or a pet store is not considered "rescuing" theanimal. By perpetuating the problem, another animal will beplaced in those conditions. You may give that individualanimal an amazing, wonderful home that only you can provide, but , butmore bunnies will be placed in that system as a result.

Change CAN happen - pet stores such as PetCetera in Canada (BC atleast) have changed policy and will now not sell rabbits in theirstores. The idea that pet stores will always sell animals, and "changewill never happen" - is so pessimistic - your one voice as a consumercan makea difference!

I know many people who have rabbits that they initially purchased frompet stores, and absolutely LOVE their little ones - I wouldn't dare tothink anyone would love their animal less because of where they camefrom, or regret bringing them into their home.

I understand that this board supports both rescues andresponsiblebreeders, so I'm trying to keep this in mind, butthe key word is "responsible".

I hope my rambling makes some sense. I think I'll leave it at that because this is a topic I'm a little sensitive to.

For starters, my biggest concern is that at onemonth old those bunnies are too young to be sold!! Most places aren'teven allowed to sell bunnies under 8 weeks old, so I would be worriedabout taking him away from his mum too young!!

I also don't know how well a baby bunny will bond to a much olderrabbit. I'd think it would be better for a young bunny to bond with abunny of a similar age.

Also, I agree that getting a rabbit from a rescue is probably "best" Isee nothing wrong with getting bunnies from petstores or backyardbreeders. Why? Because those bunnies need homes and love too!! And oddsare, they'll end up sold to someone who'll leave them in a small cageoutside, where they'll get no contact or love anyway...

However, I looked into getting a rescue rabbit, and couldn't find anyanywhere in the vicinity of my home. I decided to go to a breederinstead...but my last bunny was a petstore bunny and he was the mostbeautiful boy in the entire world, and I'll never, ever regret gettinghim!!

Obviously this is a very emotive issue for many people :) And Iunderstand the feelings of those who say only get rescue rabbits...Butbunnies are bunnies and all deserve great homes :)

I think it would be better if you got a newbunny from a responsible breeder, since none are available in the localshelter. One month is far too young to be sold, and you mayend up with a sickly, stressed baby that is far more likely to get sickor die unexpectedly than an 8 week old baby.

Just my two cents.:twocents

Hey just thought I'd answer a few of those questions.

30x36x18 inches is to small for two rabbits who you say are averagesize unless they were allowed to run around a lot every day.By average I would guess you mean bout 6 pounds?

Also do not get a bunny before it is 8 weeks old, it is for one illegalfor the breeder to sell them before that age, and 50 percent if notmore will die if sold before that age.

Also very worried bout bonding a baby with a 12 year oldrabbit. For one you said that Momiji won't beneutered. Never put any rabbit with another rabbit that isn'tneutered. It is asking for trouble. You can gethim, but please keep them seperate unless they both getneutered.

As far as the one you have being to old to neuter, I don'tthink that is possible but I'm no vet. Most people would justthink what's the point. I'm not sure that there is such athing as a rabbit being to old to neuter but if that is the case keepthem seperate indefinately unless being supervised verystrictly. At least make sure they are about the same size,other wise that little one could be hurt very seriously in a matter ofa couple seconds.

Who knows, you may not have any problems putting them together butlittle red lights are popping up everywhere with this for me.Your best bet would be to get a female that is older, spay her, andneuter the male and slowly bond them and then put them together acouple months after the sugeries. I realize you really likeWolfie, but for his sake be very careful.

I wish you the best and hope this helped a little.....

I appreciate the replies, both for and against.

If one month is too old, when is the right age? I will leave him withhis mother longer if that is what he needs. I asked the lady and shedidn't seem to care, said maybe next week sometime.

What would be the right sized cage?

I am willing to have Momiji neutered, but when I asked about it lasttime, I was told that surgurey was too risky for such an old rabbit. Ifthat is incorrect, then of course I am willing to have him neutered. Iwant what is best for him.

I agree you should get the rabbit. I have ownedthree rabbits in my life two were rescues (Yuskevich included) andone(the first one)was from a backyard breeder. Ithink it goes with any animal there is too much overbreeding but Ithink there are alot of breeders out there doing improving there breedand thats a good thing. I do agree tho the first place you should go isyour local animal shelter.

Tough call on the Neuter (I know Im going to geteaten alive for this) But I wouldnt fix an older rabbit. The surgery isrisky on a young rabbit never mind an adult, and I dont think you comeacross as many health problems with the males in respect to them notbeing fixed.

Yuskevich was about a year old when I got her, she was also had somerespritory issues, and I didnt want to take the chance with spayingher. If she was younger I would have done it in a heartbeat. I wish iwould have, now maybe she could have a rabbit freind, but she isgetting on in years and I dont think it would be a good idea.

Back