Rabbit of the Month - Bambi

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Rabbit ate peace lily



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
coiris
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2
Default

We just got our rabbit about a week ago and hadall the plants elevated off the ground until today. We let him out toplay and he ate the tip of a Peace Lily plant which we found out ispoisonous. I don't know what amount is unsafe for a small bunny. Hasanyone had this problem before?



__________________
coiris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 AM   #2
binkies
Retired Moderator
 
binkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 1,993
Send a message via ICQ to binkies Send a message via AIM to binkies Send a message via Yahoo to binkies
Default

I honestly dont know, but would love to know the answer. My rabbits constantly chew on mine too.



__________________
binkies is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:02 AM   #3
coiris
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2
Default

i looked up a toxic list of plants and it was onthere. we just called the ASPCA and the vet said to monitor him andlook for drooling, and akward head movements. He didn't ingest alot...maybe an inch of leaf, but for his size I guess it could beharmful. She said it messes up their digestive track and to feed him1/3 teaspoon of plain yogurt to help absorb the toxin in the peacelily...how often do your rabbits eat them?

__________________
coiris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
Pipp
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 14,557
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Rewriting this with new info..

Peace Lily

Here's a blurb about its affect on cats, which may not be the same inrabbits. However, being such a common houseplant, and there'sno hugely dire warnings out there, I don't think eating just the tipwill do much damage. If its the same as a cat, then itprobably tasted pretty awful.

I'll keep looking for info, but watch carefully for signs ofgastronomical upsets-- ie: if the bunny stops eating orappears to be having gas pains, etc.

sas



EDIT: HEre's the official name: Spathiphyllum

(I don't think it's part of the Philodendron family, but it shares the same toxins).

And here's a pic:



Peace Lily (aka Mauna Loa Peace Lily)

Common Name: Peace Lily (aka Mauna Loa Peace Lily)
Scientific Name: Spathiphyllum
Family: Araceae
Toxic Principle: calcium oxalate crystals
Clinical signs: oral irritation, intense burning and irritationof the mouth, lips, tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty inswallowing.

All part of the spathiphyllum contain water insoluble crystal ofpoisonousacid that can cause burning, irritation and swellingof a cat’s mouth, tongue and throat. When swallowed, thesrystals cause inflammation of the stomach andintestine.

__________________
Pipp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:18 AM   #5
Pipp
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 14,557
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

I've done some more checking, and I'm not sureof the amounts, but several members here have had their bunnies much onPeace Lilies and they're all fine.

Just keep an eye on him.


sas

__________________
Pipp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
mummybunny
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: , , United Kingdom
Posts: 308
Default

Miffy once munched on a bit of Peace Lily and wetook her to the vet, he gave her a shot of antibiotics and somethingelse - can't remember, sorry! She was totally fine when we took her andtotally fine afterwards.

mummybunny



__________________
mummybunny is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump