Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > Gas and Ceotropes

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Lucky_2017

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Gas and Ceotropes

Hello! Last night I heard my rabbit farting a little bit. He hasnít got any mucus poop or anything and heís eating really well. But he isnít eating his ceotropes ( I think I spelt that wrong ). I have monitored him since Iíve seen these symptoms, and his body temperature is fine. What should I do? I feed him celery, green pepper and cucumber. I forgot to give him his veg yesterday though. Is there anything I could do to make him more comfortable?

Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Blue eyes

Liked 723 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 914

Can you be more thorough in describing his usual, daily diet. I don't think his full normal diet is just cucumbers, celery and green pepper. What pellets? How much? What hay? How often?

Cucumbers and peppers can cause gas. How has he been introduced to new greens?

Old 01-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
Lucky_2017

He has unlimited Timothy hay, which he has been having for a while. 30g of pellets a day. And a small amount of veg. I was very confused because the day he started getting gas because that day I forgot to give him his veg. 🤨

Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
Blue eyes

Liked 723 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 914

How have you been introducing veggies? Had he had cucumbers, peppers and celery all before? How much?

Skipping usual foods can cause issues too. In terms of veggies, try to think more in terms of "greens" than actual veggies. Green leafy veggies are ideal with a small amount of cucumber OR peppers OR celery on occasion. So think about daily offerings of greens like green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, romaine, basil, cilantro. Few times a week can mix in kale, spinach, parsley, or mustard greens. (That last set is high in calcium so should only be offered a couple times per week - not every day. )

Unless your rabbit has already had a particular green, it needs to be introduced slowly. For example, if lucky hasn't had spinach before, then offer him just a small piece one day. If he takes it, then offer it again the following day (nothing else new). Continue to offer the spinach each day for several days with gradually larger amounts. So long as he has no reaction, then all is good. AFter that several days, spinach can be added to his list of tolerated greens.

Each new green (or veg) needs to be introduced this same way - a little at a time and only one type at a time.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
Lucky_2017

He has had Celery and cucumber before just not green pepper. That may be the problem