Rabbits Online > FORUM BUSINESS > Introductions > Hello there Cole's mommy

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:08 AM   #11
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1181 Times on 1020 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue eyes View Post
Contrary to what is commonly thought, rabbits teeth are not ground down by chewing on hard things. It is the chewing of long strands of hay or grass that makes a rabbit move it's jaw in a figure 8 motion. It is that motion of the teeth grinding against each other that properly wears down their teeth.
While the jaw motion of chewing hay is important to tooth wear, it's actually the silica content found in grass that has the biggest effect on grinding down the tooth surface. The silica is abrasive, so essentially sands down the tooth surface as the rabbit chews the grass. The silica content in the different grasses varies, so some types might be more abrasive and beneficial for tooth wear than others. Something like orchard grass with high amounts of silica, can be a beneficial hay to feed for better tooth wear, and especially for buns more prone to developing tooth spurs. This article explains silica's effect on tooth wear really well.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:49 AM   #12
Blue eyes

Liked 723 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBun View Post
While the jaw motion of chewing hay is important to tooth wear, it's actually the silica content found in grass that has the biggest effect on grinding down the tooth surface. The silica is abrasive, so essentially sands down the tooth surface as the rabbit chews the grass. The silica content in the different grasses varies, so some types might be more abrasive and beneficial for tooth wear than others. Something like orchard grass with high amounts of silica, can be a beneficial hay to feed for better tooth wear, and especially for buns more prone to developing tooth spurs. This article explains silica's effect on tooth wear really well.
Thank you for the good info!

Old 12-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
colebunbun

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

these suggestions are great! it helps me to know how much to give if I choose to give carrots, but he is getting to where my husband and I can pet him. he puts his head down and closes his eyes in contentment. When we stop petting him he will come up to our hands and start nibbling on our forearm. So that makes me feel like that works! he loves celery, but I could try cilantro I haven't tried that yet.
Blue eyes Likes This 
Old 12-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #14
colebunbun

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

well update Cole is now licking mommy and daddy, he comes up to us and lays down his head for pets, I have had him JUST long enough to notice quirks such as he loves to shred, he loves to toss his toys in the water, he DOES like cords, so those are hidden, he likes some greens but I am trying some others, we shall see what type of bun he turns out to be