Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Something is possible happening ?

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:22 AM   #41
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1158 Times on 1001 Posts
Likes Given: 61

You don't have to hold the skin tented up. You just do it initially to make sure to get the needle into the right place between the skin and muscle. As for administering too fast, you would need to ask your vet about that, but it sounds like you did a good job getting the fluids administered.

GI blockage is when the digestive process stops or nearly stops. If she is still pooping some then she doesn't have a blockage. She has slow gastric motility, which if it continues to slow down from lack of eating sufficient amounts, could eventually develop into a blockage.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #42
Thumperina

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Jenny thank you
I always insert needle in about the same spot (between her shoulders).. can this cause a problem? Should I try other places too?
yesterday I went to the first vet to pick up more metacam, and asked her about baytril'
She said injectable solution should NEVER be given to rabbits orally, it's very harsh for their stomach (this is what I also read online) - this was my gut feeling.
She gave me new baytril - to try and see if it helps, I asked her what form it was and she said that they use tablets that they crash and mix with flavored base. It smells real yummy and Thumperina takes it wonderfully

Old 11-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #43
Thumperina

I also found oral syringes that work best for us for giving critical care. I was having trouble previously.
Got them at Kroger pharmacy for free, they are only 15ml but I like how smoothly and easily you can empty them, I fill several syringes and put them in a cup with hot water so that the mixture stays warm.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #44
Thumperina

asked her about SMZ, and she said it's an older AB with not so wide spectrum as baytril... or probably they just didn't have it in stock

Old 11-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #45
Thumperina

I have noticed when picking her up that her right leg is hanging forcelessly, I know her right hip has been in a bad shape for years (we never knew why she has got it this way) but I wonder if this is her major pain problem or just consequence of other problems ... I am posting her X ray... maybe somebody will have an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3924 Thumperina McKinzie   11-6-170001.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	19464   Click image for larger version

Name:	3924 Thumperina McKinzie   11-6-170000.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	19465   Click image for larger version

Name:	8022 Thumper Upton whole body   6-14-170001.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	19466  

Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #46
Thumperina

and here are couple of X rays that the second doctor needed to take even though I showed him images from visiting the first vet (I hate when they do it... guess what, after he did this second X ray, he said that ultrasound would be nice, too)
I know, there is more gas build up in her GI tract on the second round of images
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mckinzie1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	19467   Click image for larger version

Name:	mckinzie2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	19468  

Old 11-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #47
PaGal

Liked 294 Times on 257 Posts

just keep in mind that over time the syringes can get harder to give medicine with. I believe the rubber swells over time and then it can be hard to plunge. I like to keep extra around for this reason

Old 11-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #48
Thumperina

thank you PaGal!
are you speaking about feeding syringes ? yes, it's easy to get new suuply of them in a local pharmacy

I have a HUGE question about syringe for sub Q fluids. it is 60 ml syringe that originally came in a plastic tube that says it's sterile and use only once and discard. They provided my with supply of sterile needles but gave me only one of this syringes. So, after administering fluids I am supposed to replace the needle with a new one and keep it this way till the next time...
However the syringe itself is exposed to air and germs from the air, I mean the inside of the plastic tube as it's kept between uses in a position of plunger all the way up (liquid emptied)
I dropped the syringe the other day and asked for a new one but they said - just rinse it and use again...
So I am boiling water, pour in a clean jar, cover with a clean plate, let it cool until it's still hot but not boiling hot and then rinse a whole syringe (without needle of course) in this jar and then put a new needle on before I administer the medicine. Is this acceptable way of doing it?

Old 11-17-2017, 04:26 AM   #49
Thumperina

this last feeding / medicine intake she was sooo passive, but it's still so hard to make a decision to stop force feeding her and giving her the meds...

I pray the Lord to take her if it's time for her to go. Take her fast and with little pain.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #50
Thumperina

If somebody's wondering, Thumperina is doing not so bad ( not great, either)
I give her twice a day critical care (trying to squeeze into her 50ml each time), metacam and sub Q fuilds shot . I wonder if this is how we are going to be till the rest of her days... my concern is that meds are expensive. Weekly: $22 for metacam, $38 for fluids, and about $10-14 for critical care. I can't afford it in the long run I know I can get critical care cheaper online but what about metacam and electrolyte shots?
I still don't know what is going on inside her body and in her mind. Anybody know, if the right hip joint is destroyed, would she still have blood flow in that leg? when she hops. it looks like she is using both rear legs, but when I pick her up her right leg hangs down like she is not controlling it at all.

also, if there are any other better ideas on pain control for her? how long can she take metacam with no damage to her liver, etc?