Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Advice, help, stasis?!!!

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 AM   #11
Minilopbun

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The vet mentioned something about hair ball relief, what is it?? I️ never knew rabbits could get hair balls UNLESS it was caused by lack of fiber, etc. so what is it that you use?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 AM   #12
Suzannnicole

If you have a high speed blender like a vitamix, you could make a hay smoothie with water and unsweetened applesauce. Fill with hay, add 2 cups water (or 3cups if hay is really packed), blend until smooth. Then, blend in about a cup of applesauce. This makes a yummy and easily digestible way to eat the hay. If you can't or don't want to do that, There is a product by Oxbow called Critical care available at the vet and pet supply store. You can mix that up and feed with a large feeding syringe. It's similar to what I make in the blender, but it is a fine powder that you add water to. Get them eating!

Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
Aki
Liked 202 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minilopbun View Post
The vet mentioned something about hair ball relief, what is it?? I️ never knew rabbits could get hair balls UNLESS it was caused by lack of fiber, etc. so what is it that you use?
Technically, rabbits don't get hair balls the way cats do, but when the guts stop the hair can build up in the stomach and create a blocage. The regular treatment for stasis is hydratation, pain killer (Metacam) and gut mobility drug (metoclopramide - either Reglan or Emeprid). Having an older bunny with a tendency to get slow guts, I keep a bottle of both and syringes at home which saved me quite a lot of grief over the years. But some vets add oil to that (there is a debate about this, as it can help the waste get out, but if it is quite built up it can also coat it, making a big unbreakable ball which will become impossible to expell - I personnally don't give it) ; fibreplex (some paste with fibers and energitic value, people reported good results on slow guts when it's in the early stage) ; critical care (when the rabbit hasn't been eating by himself for more than 12 hours after the treatment has begun) ; and pills for cat's hairballs (I don't know how effective they are but some vets prescribe them, Aki was given some when she was hospitalized two months ago... she was treated at the vet as she got stasis just when I was out of town for 5 days - I don't know if it was the pills or not but she pulled through).

Old 11-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #14
Thumperina

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

gut mobility drug sounds interesting . I wonder if I should get it for my sick bun. She is eating very little veggies on her own, and I feed her some critical care but only twice a day...what you think?
also, when people say that they always have supply of metacam, where/how do you get it? looks like here in US its by prescription in a liquid form, I don't think it can be stored for a long time.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
Thumperina

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzannnicole View Post
If you have a high speed blender like a vitamix, you could make a hay smoothie with water and unsweetened applesauce. Fill with hay, add 2 cups water (or 3cups if hay is really packed), blend until smooth. Then, blend in about a cup of applesauce. This makes a yummy and easily digestible way to eat the hay. If you can't or don't want to do that, There is a product by Oxbow called Critical care available at the vet and pet supply store. You can mix that up and feed with a large feeding syringe. It's similar to what I make in the blender, but it is a fine powder that you add water to. Get them eating!
how do you serve this smoothie? does your rabbit just eat it from a crock?

Old 11-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #16
Aki
Liked 202 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperina View Post
gut mobility drug sounds interesting . I wonder if I should get it for my sick bun. She is eating very little veggies on her own, and I feed her some critical care but only twice a day...what you think?
also, when people say that they always have supply of metacam, where/how do you get it? looks like here in US its by prescription in a liquid form, I don't think it can be stored for a long time.
I think you should talk about this with your vet. Mobility drug works well for stasis (without blocage). You can get that and metacam at the vet. They are prescription drugs in liquid form in France too. Most vets will sell it over the counter without an appointment with the vet though if you can explain why you need them considering those drugs have no notable side effects and that their use is fairly specific. Those products can be kept for over 2 years, they are not very expensive and the Metacam bottle is really small (the Emeprid bottle is bigger but you need more of it to treat your bunny). Considering my rabbits have a knack to show the first signs of slow guts on a Sunday or really late at night, I personally prefer to keep those at home so that I can treat immediately and stop the problem before the guts stop completely instead of waiting for a vet to be available...

Also, about your question for the smoothie, she said 'feed with a large feeding syringe' which is generally how you give medication or force feed. Of course if the rabbit will eat it from a dish there is no reason to use a syringe, but if the rabbit is eating normally you don't really have to give any special food.

Last edited by Aki; 11-16-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 AM   #17
Minilopbun

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Thanks for all the info! Baci is home!!!! Binkying and eating hay, drinking water, and pooping... we are limiting pellets for a few days (none for tonight and tomorrow) and offering lots of healthy greens! I’m so happy my baby is doing better! He came home and happily flopped !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55E09CD5-1866-455B-820D-EA704E089B8C.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	19489  
People Like This 
Old 11-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #18
Suzannnicole

Thumperina, I put a little mountain of it on a plate. A bowl can make it hard for them to reach all of it.