Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Doe Rabbit Is Aggressive

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
warminwisco
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks. Wife was home for lunch and lil moonlight let her pet her though she is still getting used to new home and is anxious. Vet appt Wednesday Great input to move em to different rooms

RavenousDragon Likes This 
Old 09-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
warminwisco
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Moonlight has turned into a little cuddler. She will pop up onto the couch lie down in our laps and roll to have her belly petted. Snoopy the male barged thru the gate on the steps and chased her as we clamored to intervene however. So we will be patient and keep reading. I will get some picks Moonlight. Say what works best to keep the Moonlight from feasting on furniture is there a best spray for the furniture thats safe?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Aki
Liked 185 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Making little noises and whimpers is also normal for a hormonal rabbit - they tend to do it when they get a bit agitated. Aki did before her spay and was completely silent ever since except for the 'that's sooo good' mumble she makes when eating a piece of carrot or something she really likes.
For treats, I'm personnally partial to dried apple slices. It's super cheap and easy to make (you cut thin apple slices, put them on a tray and then on the heater during the winter or in the cooling oven after cooking something in it and turning it off... when it's dried, you store them in a box and that's it). I'm leary of store bought treats which are generally full of things rabbits shouldn't eat and I avoid anything too sugary as Aki is the kind of rabbit who will gain a pound eating a leaf of lettuce.

For the furniture. Er... sorry, there isn't a single repellant that works and I advise you against trying tips you can sometimes find on the internet like putting tabasco / vinegar on things because you might make your bunny really sick (I remember someone who had put tabasco on the stairs because their rabbit used to eat them and found the rabbit gleefully licking the stuff a few hours later - I don't remember if an upset tummy was involved but that's a real possibility, the bottom line being that it didn't deter the rabbit at all from eating anything anyway ^^). Rabbits do calm down as they get older, but the first year or so is kinda hard. I've lost countless things to my rabbits' sharp teeth. Managing by 'bunny proofing' as much as you can the rooms they have access to without you watching over them is the only thing you can do. Don't forget to put hard plastic covers on ALL the electrical cords she has access to. Redirecting by providing destroyable things is also a good idea: carboard boxes, cisal mats, apple tree / hazelnut tree branches are all good things to keep Thumper occupied without killing your furniture.

I seem to remember you asked about when they are fully grown. It depends on the breed, but generally 7-8 months is considered to be the ideal age for a spay as pet breeds of rabbits (dwarf lops, nethies...) will be fully grown or almost which make them able to bear the anesthesia better, but it's early enough that no tumor will be there yet. That way, the vet can take out only the ovaries and not the whole uterus (plus tumors) which makes for a much lighter operation and a less painful and quicker recovery.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:24 AM   #14
Bill Jesse

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Unfriendly Doe

I had a bonded pair of females, an English Spot and a Dutch. I also have a female Himmie and a male Palomino who are bonded and live together. My Himmie and Dutch did not like each other and were kept separate. I have two outdoor pens so each pair lived in one pen each. Sadly my Dutch died and I want to put the Spot in with the Himmie and Palomino. But the Himmie does like the Spot and chases and tries to bite her bum. So they are apart. I do not know their ages but think the Spot is about a year older. I think that because the spot lived with the Dutch the Himmie has a grudge against her although I wish they could all bond. If I put the Palomino with the Spot they are fine but when I put the Palomino back with the Himmie she gets mad at him. If I could put them all together I could remove one of my 60 square foot pens.