Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Bunny pee smells like... buttered popcorn?

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 AM   #1
MinDearie

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Bunny pee smells like... buttered popcorn?

Hey All,
I was cleaning out the buns litter pans when Trick decided I was taking too long, and pee'd on the floor. I watched him do it, so I quick ran over and cleaned it up right away. Totally fine, it's what I get for cleaning both boxes at the same time.

Usually when Trick pees, the unpleasant smell really hits me, as he hasn't been neutered yet. I didn't notice a strong smell when I dabbed the puddle with a paper towel, so... I kinda... sorta... decided to... give the paper towel a whiff. Don't ask me why.

To my surprise, it smelled like buttered popcorn! It was so weird!

I'm sure he's just fine (behaving and eating normally), but I was just curious to know if anyone else has run into this? I promise, I haven't been feeding him popcorn.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
stevesmum
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Nope, haven't ever noticed this, but sometimes their poop smells like B.O. And not in a bad way either haha!
MinDearie Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
Aki
Liked 185 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Wow, lucky you! I'm sure there must be a way to commercialize your secret XD. I've never noticed this, but then again, I tend to try and not smell my bunnies' pee. But rabbits' pee easily changes colors or smells depending on what the rabbit is eating (when I'm at my parents in the summer, my rabbits eat a lot of herbs and things from the garden like dandelions or tree leaves - they tend to pee a lot, orange to red, and the smell is horrendous XD).
MinDearie Likes This