Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Another bun of mine seems sick

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #11
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1164 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 61

For the eye, he could have gotten some debris in it or scratched it. I usually will try flushing the eye out using plain sterile saline eye drops, something like natural tears or the plain saline for contacts(not the one with chemicals), to flush out any debris that might be stuck in there. If the eye still seems irritated the next day, the eye could have been scratched and may need antibiotic ophthalmic eye drops/ointment applied at least a couple of times a day for a week or longer. I usually get this from my vet, but there is an otc one called terramycin ophthalmic ointment. Vet is always best if you have a good vet and the money for it, but for minor issues I have used the otc eye ointment in the past. Usually livestock stores will have it, or it is available online on amazon, farm supply, or pet supply stores for cheaper than getting it in a store, about $15 for a small tube.

The peeing issue, if it is a reoccurring problem, could be because he is overweight and can't assume the correct posture to keep from getting urine on his bottom. Or it could be a health issue like a UTI or soreness from arthritis causing this. If it is either of these, baytril or smz/tmp are usually used to treat UTI's. Metacam for arthritis. Or if it's a weight issue, then he would need to lose weight. Now that it's starting to get cold you will need to keep a close eye on the problem. If he gets a urine soaked bottom in freezing temps, being outdoors you can imagine that it wouldn't be a good thing. There is also the problem of urine scalded skin happening if his fur and skin continues to get soaked in his urine. Because baytril is a prescription medication, none of us can comment on whether or not you should try giving it to see if it helps. That is something only you can decide. Same with the metacam. However, if I feel like one of my rabbits is experiencing pain, I don't hesitate to give the proper pain relief.

The increased respiratory effort could be from a multitude of possible issues. It could be from being overweight, it could be from being in pain from an underlying health problem like a UTI or arthritis.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 AM   #12
Thumperina

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

thank you JBun, Aki, ladysown
the problem with his eye isn't new and it also results from being overweight.
When he tries to clean himseldf, he always bends to the same side which results in too much pressure in the same eye (right) which makes the inside of the eye bulge out for some time (looks bloody), then it pops back in. Of course, it's not good for the eye. Not sure if my explanation is easy to understand. One vet called it the third eye lid, but I am not sure if this is what it is.
This right eye looks OK today, but I will keep watching it.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:11 AM   #13
Thumperina

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default who

Basically, the problem is as follows:
one rabbits isn't eating well, another is eating for two (too much), both eat no hay and drink no water, and keeping them separately would be too much stress for both
There is no easy fix to this
When they are in garage (after dark till the morning and sometimes longer if it's too cold to let them out when the morning comes), I have no way to watch them closely. I do come there from time to time, but I don't stay there all the time. I would love to have video surveillance to know who is eating and who is not. I already lost another rabbit FooFoo this past October, when I didn't catch that she stopped eating early enough. When I realized it, it was too late. Food has been eaten all the time

Since Thumperina got sick, I use a trick to make sure she is the one who ate her kale. When it's warming up and the sun is bright, she usually likes to stay under plastic crate in the yard. I bring her kale out and put right there under the crate and later check if it's eaten. I am 99% sure that her companion doesn't help her eating kale. Of course, this scenario doesn't suppose for them to "hunt" for food, as was suggested. We just do here whatever works, and it's not ideal.