Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > Any rabbits live in living room?

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 AM   #11
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Skavatar, my current rabbit is the same way. He does not like the hard floor and only runs on the carpet. He so dislikes the hard floor that 1) we have to put a runner from his cage to the area rug, and 2) we do not have to block off the bedrooms because he won't cross the hard floor.

Here's a 1 minute video of Mocha running around on that area rug.

People Like This 
Old 11-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #12
Lucky_2017

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My rabbit has free run of my house. He has two cages: one upstairs in his room and one in the living room. The one upstairs is for when he is sleeping at night. The bottom one is for during the day.

Skavatar Likes This 
Old 11-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #13
Chamarith

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Please know that I derive no pleasure whatsoever from criticizing, but "free roaming" and "cage" do not go together. It is an oxymoron. Free roaming means no cage or confinement.☻☺

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_2017 View Post
My rabbit has free run of my house. He has two cages: one upstairs in his room and one in the living room. The one upstairs is for when he is sleeping at night. The bottom one is for during the day.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:28 AM   #14
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamarith View Post
Please know that I derive no pleasure whatsoever from criticizing, but "free roaming" and "cage" do not go together. It is an oxymoron. Free roaming means no cage or confinement.☻☺
Actually the two terms can (and, imo, should) go together. Even a free roaming rabbit benefits from having a space of his very own, a cage, in which is kept litter box, food bowls, hay, water, etc. The cage door may be kept open all day (or even all night also) but it is still a "cage."

I would argue that a rabbit that is confined only at nighttime but is free roam all during the day, is still properly referred to as "free roam."

A free roam rabbit that has the benefit of a cage, has a space in which he knows he will not be disturbed. It is his safe zone where he can go and know that he won't be bothered. That is how I use a cage. It is bunny's "no humans" zone.
Skavatar Likes This 
Old 12-01-2017, 03:14 AM   #15
Skavatar

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks for the video Blue eyes. I went to Lowes, they had some rugs on clearance, 5' x 7' for $23. I placed it in front of her cage. she's not on it all the time, but has taken a liking to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171130_211117.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	19522  

Last edited by Skavatar; 12-01-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Blue eyes Likes This 
Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #16
Whiterabbitrage
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 255

We turned the den into a bunny room. Harvey has her toys, litter pan, hay and water in there. That's her safe place, her territory and that is where she sleeps. When we wake up we open her door so she can come out if she chooses. Her door stays open till 10 pm. With the door open she has access to the living room, but there are pet gates keeping her out of the rest of the house. The living room is carpeted but the hallway between the living room and her room is hardwood flooring. She used to refuse to walk on it, so I would lay a towel down, when she hopped on I would drag the towel, with her aboard, to the carpet. She has since learned to walk on hardwood so the towel train is no longer nessessary.