Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > What is the urine of a 12 day old bunny like?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #11
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1108 Times on 962 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Sounds like your rabbits are doing well then. If they are getting lots of fresh grass and vegetables, then they probably won't need to drink very much water at all because the water is in the fresh grass and vegetables themselves.. Rabbits only really need to drink water if they are eating dry foods, or if the fresh foods don't have quite enough water content to them. All you need to do is make sure your rabbits have water to drink at all times, then if they need water they will drink it as needed. Though if they only have water available in a bottle with a nozzle of some sort, I will suggest instead offering it to them in a dish. Bottles can be hard for rabbits to get enough water from, and the bottles can sometimes get clogged so then the rabbits can't get any water out of it. Rabbits usually drink much better from a dish/bowl. Though if the babies aren't quite 3 weeks old yet, make sure the dish is safely away from them so they can't fall into the water dish.

Shanan Likes This 
Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 AM   #12
Shanan
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 64

The kits stay with me mostly. The momma bunny never allowed us to clip her nails and when I tried to keep the kits with her she stamped on them vigorously and caused them nicks. She is generally gentle when she's feeding them. So, I keep the kits near me and at intervals of 12 hours I bring the mother, put her inside the net box and make sure she can't come out. She kicks the kits at first and settles down after and then starts feeding and grooming them. The kits are at 13 days now.

One thing though I tried keeping the kits with their mother a number of time with the intention of feeding them the cecotropes. They didnot even try eating those. Do I need to force feed them?

Old 03-21-2017, 04:02 AM   #13
Shanan
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBun View Post
Sounds like your rabbits are doing well then. If they are getting lots of fresh grass and vegetables, then they probably won't need to drink very much water at all because the water is in the fresh grass and vegetables themselves.. Rabbits only really need to drink water if they are eating dry foods, or if the fresh foods don't have quite enough water content to them. All you need to do is make sure your rabbits have water to drink at all times, then if they need water they will drink it as needed. Though if they only have water available in a bottle with a nozzle of some sort, I will suggest instead offering it to them in a dish. Bottles can be hard for rabbits to get enough water from, and the bottles can sometimes get clogged so then the rabbits can't get any water out of it. Rabbits usually drink much better from a dish/bowl. Though if the babies aren't quite 3 weeks old yet, make sure the dish is safely away from them so they can't fall into the water dish.
Also, I got some timothy and alfa alfa hay here (FINALLY!!). I have always heard that hay should be unlimited. Can you give me an idea of how many days a 600 gm hay bundle should last for two buns?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:56 AM   #14
RavenousDragon
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 134 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 284

It sort of depends on the rabbits. My two go through that in probably less than a week (we end up throwing a lot of the pieces away that they have decided they didn't like ) and mine don't get nearly as many veggies, so mine need more to get enough food. We honestly buy our hay in (roughly) 20 kg amounts- but that lasts us a while AND I'm lucky enough to have it available to me on a regular basis. Sounds like you are doing a great job with what you have with your buns! Keep it up!!

Shanan Likes This