Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > She's Here!!!

Old 01-04-2017, 03:06 AM   #1
erikamc
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default She's Here!!!

Picked up the new baby today. she'll be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I'm so nervous!! My cousin was still syringe feeding her, but my rehabber friend says as long as she is eating pellets and hay, I don't have to do that. So for about a week she'll be getting formula 1x every other day to wean her off it. Boy can she EAT! I know babies are supposed to eat alfalfa hay, but she doesn't seem to care for it. Is that ok? she loves the timothy hay though. Is it possible for babies to over eat? Also, my house is a little chilly and she has been moved from a small plastic cage to a large wire cage, do I need to give her additional heat? I have one of those microwavable heat disc things I can use.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	18270   Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	18271  

Old 01-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Aki
Liked 123 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Aw, she's so cute!
If you picked pellets for babies, there probably is alfafa inside so it's OK. I've never given alfafa to any of my rabbits. The important thing is that they get calcium from somewhere and if she's eating a lot of pellets, it's fine. It's good that she's eating a lot, she has a lot of growing up to do so I would let her for now - you'll have to reduce the quantities in 5 months. As long as she eats a ton of hay, it's fine.
For the heat, I would just put lots of hay in a cardboard box so she can snuggle in it for warmth. Inside your house, it's bound not to be freezing (at least, I so hope for your sake ^^) so the temperature should be fine.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
erikamc
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm honestly not sure what type of pellet it is. I bought a bag of juvenile pellets, but my cousin sent me with a bag full of what ever they use. I imagine its a formula for breeding bunnies, but I'll start switching her to the pellets I bought. She is eating more of the alfalfa today, so I'm happy about that. All my other bunnies have been adults when I got them so I know I'll need to limit her eventually. It's a weird feeling being able to give her as much as she wants honestly. And then, last night when I gave her her formula in the bowl, she ate all of that! Still trying to decide on a name for her, but that will come in time.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Whiterabbitrage
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 155 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 212

She's so cute!!!!! She looks like a stuffed animal!!! I just love her!!!!
erikamc Likes This 
Old 01-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
Ivythelionhead

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 6

She's beautiful, do you have a name for her?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
erikamc
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivythelionhead View Post
She's beautiful, do you have a name for her?
Not yet, it will probably be a while before we pick one too. I did toss out the idea of "Peanut" because she's such a little peanut. Of course, might also have to wait until after her check up at the vet next week to make sure she is really a she! I know I'm a little hesitant to pick a name because I'm so worried that any day she'll take a down hill turn. kinda wish I'd never done research on bottle raised babies!

Old 01-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Whiterabbitrage
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 155 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Oh boy I can relate. I didn't even take pictures of Harvey when we got her, I was afraid she was going to die and I didn't let myself get attached. My thoughts are with you!

erikamc Likes This