Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > Arlo a blind hamster

Old 01-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
Ivythelionhead

Liked 91 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Arlo a blind hamster

Hi my name is Erin and I have been on this forum for a while and I wasn't sure where to post this on here anyway I got Arlo he's a Syrian hamster and he's a Panda bear hamster anyway he's blind and he's amazing, I mean he's quite bitey but I love him and I believe the reason he's very bitey is because he's blind, his eyes look the way my dogs eyes do who is also blind and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with a blind hamster or a blind rabbit, Guinea pig, gerbil ect and what I can do to help him.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:31 AM   #2
RavenousDragon

Liked 172 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I do have experience with blind rabbits, but not hamsters! For my blind bun, she learned the house very well and had no issues getting around so long as we didn't move the furniture. I would always warn her with a touch on the head before I picked her up or petted her, since she was also deaf and that seemed to keep her calm. She even would do a few tricks based on the pattern of touching on her head (like go in her cage, etc.). I would say just don't change the enclosure of your guy often if at all, and make things easy for him to find. If you just got him, keep him confined to a very small area and you can slowly expand it as he gets used to it.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:58 AM   #3
Ivythelionhead

Okey thank you very much.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
Aki
Liked 145 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Same for me, Aki has been blind for about 7 months now. She really adjusted like a champ. She's still more graceful and accurate than Tybalt (who is 4 years younger and sees perfectly well!) when she jumps. The only real alterations I had to make were, like RavenousDragon said: to make sure that the furniture stays in the same place (my rabbits get big cardboard boxes to hide inside and I make sure to cut the holes on the same places when I replace them to avoid confusing her) ; to always always announce myself to avoid startling her (I speak when I enter the room and comment on everything I'm doing, using the same sentences with each action so she knows exactly what's happening when I open / close the window, put food in front of her or inside the cage, take her litter tray to clean it...) ; putting most of the food on the floor instead of in a hay rack or something (she learnt to use the rack again after a few weeks but she's clearly less comfortable doing it and will eat less than from the floor).
Aside from that, I don't think there is much to do. Animals adjust a lot better than humans to the loss of one of their senses. Aki is a bit more skittish than before, but she doesn't seem to be all that bothered by her blindness.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Ivythelionhead

Okey thank you, Arlo is so sweet besides the biting thing which is why I thought he was blind in the first place and then I looked at his eyes and yes he is blind, I alway talk to him and I will alway say his name before o pet him just because if I startle him he will bite me which is understandable, my friends don't understand they said if he's blind I just get rid of him, but I love him and I don't wanna get rid of him because he can't see how stupid is that, anyway thank you for the input.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:47 PM   #6
Ivythelionhead

Name:  ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1483487164.108493.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  77.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1483487179.021292.jpg
Size:  59.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1483487199.960756.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  67.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1483487234.491145.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB

This is my Arlo if anyone was Intrested in seeing him.
People Like This 
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
erikamc
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

May I ask, what makes you think he is blind? You mentioned his eyes looking like your blind dog's eyes, but, unless it's a trick of the camera, his eyes look nothing like my blind dog's eyes.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
Ivythelionhead

When I look at my dogs eyes you can plainly see that he's blind there's nothing there just blank orbs and Arlos eyes look the same and if thats not enough he will run off the table that he plays on, bump into everything.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
Watermelons
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 561 Times on 460 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivythelionhead View Post
When I look at my dogs eyes you can plainly see that he's blind there's nothing there just blank orbs and Arlos eyes look the same and if thats not enough he will run off the table that he plays on, bump into everything.
To be fair, not blind hamsters do that too.
erikamc Likes This 
Old 01-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #10
erikamc
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess I was expecting to see cloudy milky eyes like my little dog has. Arlo is adorable for sure:-)