Happy New Year Rabbits Online!

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > Wood stove pellets for litter boxes

Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 AM   #1
thumpingBerry
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wood stove pellets for litter boxes

I know many people use the wood stove pellets for bedding for litter boxes or just general bedding, for rabbits and guinea pigs.

I have been using pelleted pine made for horses, it is about $6 a bag at Tractor Supply. However, Lowes is considerably closer to me and the wood stove pellets are about the same cost, actually a little less.

So I went to Lowes today, and found bags of "wood pellet fuel" that are made out of oak. Brand is Greenway, or something similar. I could find no ingredient list, but there was a caution that said not for animal consumption. Are these safe to use, or should I look for other brands/wood pellets? These were the only ones they had.

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
Watermelons
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 521 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Look for the brand online and see if you can find out if they have added any accelerant.
Otherwise they should be fine.
The horse ones arent for animal consumption either. You animals are not supposed to eat pelleted tree.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:09 AM   #3
thumpingBerry
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelons View Post
Look for the brand online and see if you can find out if they have added any accelerant.
Otherwise they should be fine.
The horse ones arent for animal consumption either. You animals are not supposed to eat pelleted tree.
Ok, ok. I know they aren't supposed to be eaten, but my rabbits do tend to eat a nibble or two every now and then. I just want to be on the safe side in case they do eat a little bit of it.

I looked these up online and they state they have no additives. So, I may try a bag and see how these compare to the pine pellets.