Happy New Year Rabbits Online!

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Persuading the parents: Rabbits should be indoors

Old 12-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
BouncingBunniez

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Persuading the parents: Rabbits should be indoors

Hi there! My name is George Washington and I have recently lost my girlfriend. We have been bonded since we were babies. My human is a little worried for my happiness and wants to keep me inside for the rest of my days. But persuading her parents in another thing all together...

BouncingBunniez here. I have been wanting to house the bunnies indoors since they were babies but now that George is alone I even more worried. So recently I have tried to fight for George to become apart of the family indoors.

It's just my parents are not budging. I've only got as far as them letting me get George some C & C grids.

Their main excuse is "He doesn't like inside he was made for the outdoors."

I have done my research on why living indoors is better. Here is some examples of their replies to my facts are:

They live longer indoors: "Because they are caged indoors their whole live, he won't like indoors all day long." or "They have been outside there entire life he won't like inside."

I can bond more with George: "You can do that outside as well."

Rabbits hide illnesses well if I'm with him all the time I can spot them easily: "Spend more time with him outside."

Along with this there are comments such as:

"His fur gets everywhere."
"No he loves outside"
"We don't have room for rabbits."

When I do express my feelings towards the wellbeing of George they have...

Let him come indoors at night!

But I'd really like him to be housed indoors. Then I think about George how would I acclimate him to going from free range outdoors all day to being inside the house all day. Is that possible???

And if you were wondering I live in New Zealand where we have near to none predators and snow.

If you guys do have any tips, tricks and helpful info in general please comment below.

P.S I'm not trying to come off as a brat....

-BouncingBunniez and George Washington

Old 12-21-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
BlackMiniRex

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Be careful when bringing your rabbit inside and outside all the time. The drastic temperature change between outside and inside could be to much for your bunny.
Have you tried showing them some articles on why keeping them indoors is better, instead of you just telling them? (don't get me wrong, you telling them is great, but an article wouldn't hurt)
also, Rabbits have been domesticated over the years, so them saying "He doesn't like inside he was made for the outdoors." is not all that true. Yes if he was a wild cottontail then yes, outside. but he is a domestic rabbit, which means he can live happily inside (or outside, doesn't matter)
Rabbits are social animals, meaning, they are much happier when people (or other rabbits) are around.
fur doesn't get everywhere, when they are shedding it does (they only shed twice a year) but for the most part, the fur doesn't go everywhere.
i personally think rabbits should be housed indoors, like you said, you can monitor them to tell whether they are sick or not, being housed indoors protects them from bad weather and predators, (but i see that you live in new Zealand, so that shouldn't be a problem though ) they get a lot more attention indoors as well. Not saying housed outdoors is bad, i find it be a little harder, you must make sure their place is predator proof, and that their getting enough attention and so on.
Rabbits can be litter trained (if you did not know this) you can keep your rabbit in your room (any room that your rabbit is staying in must be bunny-proofed)
or in your basement, like i do. Andy has a dog-crate that i lock him up at night, then i let him out to free range during the day (under my supervision)
also, just wondering, what breed is he?
Good luck trying to convince your parents
don't worry, it might take awhile for them to come around.

Last edited by BlackMiniRex; 12-21-2016 at 12:17 AM.
BouncingBunniez Likes This 
Old 12-21-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
BouncingBunniez

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you for the help! I really do appreciate seeing how others look at housing as well. With repetition and patient I hope my parents come round. Thanks for also helping me understand I need to put George's safety and wellbeing before anything.

-BouncingBunniez and George Washington

Old 12-21-2016, 04:56 AM   #4
Whiterabbitrage
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 134 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Parents can be so unreasonable! Rabbits are very social and George would much rather be with you than locked in a cage. Rabbits were made to be outside?! Weren't people also made to be outside? Doesn't mean we prefer it. Rabbits are way cleaner than dogs or cats. Dogs smell and cats carry parasites. Google it!!
Best of luck in your battle against the parents. I hope they see sense soon.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:03 AM   #5
Watermelons
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 521 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitrage View Post
Rabbits are way cleaner than dogs or cats. Dogs smell and cats carry parasites. Google it!!
Hey now!
Not true at all!
You best be taking that coment back.

And honestly because of the living situation, it is their house.
RavenousDragon Likes This 
Old 12-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #6
BouncingBunniez

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Now that I look back on my question/ statement thing I see A LOT of spelling mistakes... sorry guys. I'll be posting some cute picks of George when he arrives inside tonight.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #7
BouncingBunniez

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

And I have done some digging around on the net and have found:

Kids introduce a 'trial period' to their parents in which they house the rabbit inside for a week or two and during that time show why a rabbit loves being indoors, why it's better and so on.

People have also found doing a small presentation or sitting down and talking with their parents helps as well. So I have created a small presentation using a website called powtoon showing how much I want George to be inside.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
BouncingBunniez

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hi everyone I have collected a couple photos of George's set up inside and of George hope you enjoy.
-I am currently switching his food to Burgess.
Attached Thumbnails
20161221_210225.jpg   20161221_210239.jpg   20161221_210443.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 12-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
Aki
Liked 93 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouncingBunniez View Post
And I have done some digging around on the net and have found:

Kids introduce a 'trial period' to their parents in which they house the rabbit inside for a week or two and during that time show why a rabbit loves being indoors, why it's better and so on.
DON'T put your rabbit indoor for a week or two before putting him back outside in the middle of winter. You are going to make him sick. As someone said, you can't alternate hot and cold - your rabbit won't be able to adapt.

I hope you convince your parents. I'm against keeping rabbits outside. I also heard the 'it's natural for them to live outside so they like it' argument before (I feel for you: I got my rabbits years ago, when I was still living with my parents too ^^). Yeah, we also lived in caves, dying from the cold and getting hungry. We didn't live very old. In their 'natural' environment, rabbits live up to a grand 18 months. My rabbits like to lay on cushions close to the heater. They have NO desire to encounter mice, insects or windy cold damp weathers. Also, of course, inside rabbits live longer. They are more protected from insects and rodents, who bring a lot of illnesses with them, and from extreme temperatures (the cold can kill, but hot summers actually make a lot more casualties - I heard of several rabbits who died from the heat or from fly strikes a few months ago).
Rabbits don't smell (mine smell a bit of celery or parsley sometimes ^^). The fur isn't all that much of a problem either. Still, not gonna lie: if you don't obsessively clean, the hay will go EVERYWHERE. Still, I've got a nordic dog (who doesn't smell, doesn't have parasites and is the most perfect creature alive) and hay's got nothing on the hair he sheds XD.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
Watermelons
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 521 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is George even neutered?

You may end up having some issues with him inside if he is not. Especially since he has been outside.

Tags
housing, lonely, outdoor, parent, rabbit