Happy New Year Rabbits Online!

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > What should I feed my rabbit. conflicting information

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #1
dsuis
Banned
Default What should I feed my rabbit. conflicting information

OK. I get a lot of conflicting info on rabbit diets. I've read some places that leafy vegetables should make up 75% of its diet. Other info says that vegetables are dangerous for rabbits and they should only have at most 1/2 cup of vegetables every other day. my rabbit loves cilantro, parsley, Brussels sprouts etc. but I am afraid now to give it to him.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:41 AM   #2
katiecrna
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

You should refer to the house rabbit society, they are a great reliable source to get rabbit information from. And remember that these are basic principles to be followed, it's not a hard and fast rule.
http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

Blue eyes Likes This 
Old 11-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #3
Watermelons
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 536 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hay is number 1. Unlimited amounts of grass hay (no alfalfa/lucerne after 6months old)

Limit pellets to 1/4 cup per 5lbs of body weight.

Veggies, do what you want as long as your rabbit still eats lots of hay. You will know your rabbit best.
My pair got a 2quart dog bowl filled every morning.

Lay off the brussel sprouts though (half of one to 1 per day max). Try and stay away from veggies that could potentially cause excess gas like sprouts and cabbages. (And just use less of the high calcium high oxalate foods like kale parsley spinach, their totally safe just dont give 2cups of kale a day haha).

Herbs like cilantro, parsley, dill, basil, greens from root veggies like carrots or turnips are fantastic!
Leafy greens like red/green lettuces. (Just no iceberg) some types of lettuces can be bitter so know your bunny.

Fruit / carrots are to be a treat only. I would say no more then a tsp/tbsp per day. Honestly no fruit is needed at all. But if you learn your rabbit loves banana that might save you if you have to give meds at some point.

So no not 75% because most of their diet should be hay. But 1/2 cup every other day is just sad.

Somewhere inbetween. Make it up as you go there is no set in stone rule you have to follow. You know what your bunny will need.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
katiecrna

All rabbits should have unlimited hay. If your rabbit is less than 7 months (or so), he can have alfalfa. You can feed your rabbit grass hay at anytime and should be given grass hay after 7ish months old (and no more alfalfa). Introduce fresh veggies when they are 4-6 months age. (Again this is not a hard and fast rule, the point is rabbits should have veggies in their diet, but not when they are very young. Hay should be the most of what the rabbit needs to eat always). 2 cups of chopped veggies per 6lbs is recommended daily. My rabbit is 2ish lbs full grown, she gets about a cup a day. And you didn't ask about pellets but you can refer to the link I sent you about pellets.

My advice... is follow the house rabbit society's diet plan for your rabbit. It may seem silly and stupid but I completely Underestimated how sensitive their GI system is, and I lost a rabbit once for not following the diet thinking I knew better and it was a very traumatic experience for me. Hope this helps

Old 11-06-2016, 02:11 AM   #5
katiecrna

One more thing I wanted to add, it might be common sense but I have to have this conversation with my husband once a week.... you need to do what's best for your rabbit, not what your rabbit likes best.
Rabbits are not the smartest, they are instinctual. They will eat themselves to death if allowed. If your rabbit loves bananas, doesn't mean you should feed them a bunch of bananas. If your rabbit loves a certain food, doesn't mean you should feed him just that food. My rabbit hates to be combed and groomed. Hates it. But she's a lionhead, and sheds a lot and I groom her every other day even thought it's a fight to get her and she scratches the crap out of me at times. But the last thing I want is for her to ingest too Much fur and die from GI stasis. So the point is do your research from a reliable source like house rabbit society and do what's best for your bunny

Old 11-06-2016, 02:27 AM   #6
Watermelons
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecrna View Post
. And you didn't ask about pellets but you can refer to the link I sent you about pellets.
Hi katiecrna,
Please try and post the advice you give to other members so everyone can learn from it rather then hiding it in a pm (unless there are personal topics you are discussing). This also allows those with years of experience to correct if the advice given is wrong. The forum is an educational tool for everyone and when bits of advice are kept private, when its as simple as pellets, nobody is winning.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:44 AM   #7
katiecrna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelons View Post
Hi katiecrna,
Please try and post the advice you give to other members so everyone can learn from it rather then hiding it in a pm (unless there are personal topics you are discussing). This also allows those with years of experience to correct if the advice given is wrong. The forum is an educational tool for everyone and when bits of advice are kept private, when its as simple as pellets, nobody is winning.

Oops I didn't realize I did this. I don't even know how to private message people

Old 11-06-2016, 02:47 AM   #8
Watermelons
Administrator
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecrna View Post
Oops I didn't realize I did this. I don't even know how to private message people
Either way haha lets share info with everyone
Its one of the reasons we dont delete old posts or topics here. Then the info sticks around forever!

Old 11-06-2016, 02:48 AM   #9
katiecrna

How does one private message someone? I honestly don't know how to. I can't say I won't do it again if I don't know how I did it in the first place.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:56 AM   #10
dsuis
Banned

I decided I'm just going to feed it a dish of the $4.73 bag of rabbit feed from Walmart a day and the vegetables and cilantro only a half cup every other day. Because this is what the first thing that Google told me when I typed in "can I give my rabbit cilantro" I already had a bout of gi stasis in my rabbit recently so I'm pretty scared to give him anything other than the exact thing I was feeding him when he got sick.

Closed Thread