Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Litter pellets

Old 08-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
katiecrna
Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts

Default Litter pellets

Has anyone used pellets for their litter? I think they are paper pellets? I read that they are more absorbent and decrease the smell. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and If it's superior to "regular" litter.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
RavenousDragon
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 112 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Are you talking about the "Yesterday's News" kind of pellets? If so, then yes. I definitely use the paper pellets. I won't use any type of wood (not just cedar) because recent research (according to my very rabbits savvy vet) shows that any sort of wood shavings or pellets can have long term detriment to a bunny's health. That being said, I only use it in their litter boxes, not their entire cage.

In terms of decreasing smell- if I don't clean out their litter boxes every few days it does start to smell. But I'm not sure how that compares to any other type of litter.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 553 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Pelleted paper litter does work well. It is what I used for years. However it is rather costly. It is my second choice for litter.

I switched to wood pellets. It is the shavings that are suspected of emitting harmful phenols, but the process used to create the pellets removes the phenols. Wood pellets have been used in the rabbit community for a long time. I've not heard about any long-term effects against wood pellets. A quick internet search shows nothing but praise for wood stove pellets (including from numerous rabbit rescues and from the House Rabbit Society).

Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
Akzholedent

Liked 99 Times on 74 Posts

I use the paper pellets for all three buns. It works pretty well.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
mnyablonski2796
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the marshal's ferret litter which is a paper pellet it helps with the smell amazingly. I use it on my five male rats and the majority of the time you cant smell anything at all from there cage.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #6
BlackRabbits
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I use wood stove pellets. I check the label for the ingredients because some kinds contain flame accelerators. I can choose between hardwood and softwood pellets, but I use the hardwood because they have little or no phenol (the fumes in softwoods like cedar or pine). They are all natural, just wood dust pressed into pellets. They crumble and become more absorbent when damp, you can even scoop them. I pay about $5 for a 50 lb bag at Home Depot.

The only drawback is that the stores only sell them in fall/winter. I just take a dolly to the store and stock up on 5 or 6 bags, this is enough for the whole year.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #7
Grahamsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRabbits View Post
I use wood stove pellets. I check the label for the ingredients because some kinds contain flame accelerators. I can choose between hardwood and softwood pellets, but I use the hardwood because they have little or no phenol (the fumes in softwoods like cedar or pine). They are all natural, just wood dust pressed into pellets. They crumble and become more absorbent when damp, you can even scoop them. I pay about $5 for a 50 lb bag at Home Depot.

The only drawback is that the stores only sell them in fall/winter. I just take a dolly to the store and stock up on 5 or 6 bags, this is enough for the whole year.

Hi! I have purchased the wood pellets to try. They were quite noisy when Graham would get in his litter box so I added the paper bedding from Carefresh on top to absorb some of the noise. (The Carefresh is what I have always used, so I also thought it would help in the transition.) And I also put a layer of newspaper underneath.
I'm wondering exactly how you use them. Do you dampen them first?
My veterinarian recommended an equine bedding and stated she dampened it....I was confused and didn't ask her any further details or for a better explanation. I had taken in a lot of information that day, so I just shook my head like I understood. I can contact her for a better explanation but figured I would check with my fellow bunny lovers!!

Old 10-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
katiecrna
Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts

Just put the pellets on the bottom, about an inch thick and put hay on top. The hay will absorb the sound I guess. Do not dampened it. The pellets are expand as they absorb the pee, if they are dampened before they won't absorb the pee and therefore defeat its purpose.
BlackRabbits Likes This 
Old 10-17-2016, 03:20 AM   #9
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 553 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 826

The paper pellets should be layered thicker than the wood pellets. I have found the wood pellets are mostly wasted if put in thickly. When I switched from paper pellets to wood pellets, it took me a while to realize that I could get away with a much thinner layer of wood pellets.

Wood pellets expand like crazy. You can see in the photo below how little pellets I start with and how they expand. The only change between the before and after is the adding of hay.

I barely cover the bottom of the litter box with pellets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	litter box 1 week low res.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	18076  
BlackRabbits Likes This 
Old 10-17-2016, 03:27 AM   #10
BlackRabbits
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue eyes View Post
The paper pellets should be layered thicker than the wood pellets. I have found the wood pellets are mostly wasted if put in thickly. When I switched from paper pellets to wood pellets, it took me a while to realize that I could get away with a much thinner layer of wood pellets.

Wood pellets expand like crazy. You can see in the photo below how little pellets I start with and how they expand. The only change between the before and after is the adding of hay.

I barely cover the bottom of the litter box with pellets.
Yup, that's exactly what I do. The pellets aren't noisy for very long especially if you mix a bit of hay in before adding the main portion of hay on top. The horse bedding is the exact same thing as the stove pellets, except it comes in larger amounts.