Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Water bottle vs water bowl

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
maddogdodge

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Water bottle vs water bowl

This probably gets asked all the time but what is generally considered better for bunnies?

I haven't got bunnies yet, in the process of building a big bunny enclosure at the moment

I know ferrets drink a lot less if their only option is a bottle so a bowl is considered better for them. Is it likely to be a similar situation with rabbits?

Old 06-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
RavenousDragon

Liked 209 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Often, rabbits drink more from bowls, which is GREAT! Some rabbits will dig in them though or spill them (to me this isn't really a problem, so long as they are drinking). I personally like getting my rabbits used to both since I use bottles for travel- but in my experience rabbits definitely prefer bowls.

maddogdodge Likes This 
Old 06-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
Nancy McClelland
Larry
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 772 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Water bottles tend to be neater--harder to spill than a bowl or step into. Our avatar Nikki is over 10 and she's now completely blind. She used to drink from a bottle, but I noticed several months back that she wasn't drinking from her bottle but when out, she'd drink from a bottle in the hutch on the floor--and quite a bit at that, so I put a crock in her hutch and she now drinks from it exclusively. It depends on the bunny and the situation--the rest still use their bottles.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 904

I used to use bottles until one bunny taught me that he hated them and wanted a bowl. He seemed so angry every time he drank from the bottle, chewing on it viciously. I had put a dish under the bottle when it started leaking and he quickly lapped up any water in the dish. When I started filling a water bowl for him, he ignored the bottle from then on.

I then switched my other rabbits to bowls and noticed they drank more from the bowl than from a bottle. That convinced me, and I've not used bottles since.

I prefer the bowls that twist onto a clamp. They can't be knocked over, are easy to twist off, and are just high enough to keep debris out.
Attached Images

maddogdodge Likes This 
Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
BlackMiniRex

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 265

bowls, i'v heard that drinking out of a bowl is more natural, but i chose a bowl cause it was easy but i do wish i had a bottle for on the road, (though, Andy hardly has ever been on the road traveling)
maddogdodge Likes This 
Old 06-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
Akzholedent

Liked 118 Times on 90 Posts

Pippi drinks from a bowl, and Butterscotch and Ellie drink from bottles. Butterscotch and Ellie have this lovely habit of dumping over their water directly after I put fresh water in (they've done it for years), and the bottles are just so much more convenient and less wasteful. :-)
maddogdodge Likes This 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
Aki
Liked 208 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm in the bowl team. Rabbits drink more from them and the position bunnies have to take to drink from a bottle is completely unnatural, not even speaking about the fact that it delivers a drop at a time (can you imagine how frustrating drinking like that must be?). Bottles can leak or, worse, get stuck and not deliver any water. They are also hard to clean thoroughly, especially the metal part which can lead to bacteria developping. I think the house rabbit society has an article about it somewhere on their website.
Most arguments in favor of the bottle are that rabbits will make a mess or spill the water with a bowl. I've had a bowl for 7 years for 3 different rabbits and spilling never happened. Sometimes there is a small piece of vegetable or a blade of hay in it in the morning but you have to rinse and fill every morning anyway (it is true that it is mandatory to rinse every morning, so it can be time consuming if you've got a lot of bunnies, which probably explains why breeders will often choose bottles).
The only real argument I see in favor of a bottle is that it holds more water than a bowl (I wouldn't risk leaving the bunnies with a really big bowl of water especially now that Aki can't see anymore) so it's better if you have to leave the rabbits alone for a few days ... but I wouldn't recommend that - when I leave for more than a day, a petsitter comes and take care of the water...
maddogdodge Likes This 
Old 06-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
Akzholedent

Ellie pees in her food bowl, and has peed in her water bowl when she had it... Frankly, I find that to be a good enough reason to use a bottle..
Charmander Likes This 
Old 06-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akzholedent View Post
Ellie pees in her food bowl, and has peed in her water bowl when she had it... Frankly, I find that to be a good enough reason to use a bottle..
That's funny! Silly girl!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #10
Akzholedent

Ellie says: "I would never do such a thing!"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1466117198919.jpg (36.0 KB, 143 views)
People Like This