Rabbit of the Month is ?
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Litter pellets

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #11
Grahamsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecrna View Post
Just put the pellets on the bottom, about an inch thick and put hay on top. The hay will absorb the sound I guess. Do not dampened it. The pellets are expand as they absorb the pee, if they are dampened before they won't absorb the pee and therefore defeat its purpose.

Thank you so much!!

Old 10-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
Grahamsmom

Thank you Katiecrna, Blue Eyes and BlackRabbit! I am so grateful for you and this forum! Happy Monday!

Old 10-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #13
dozeyblueromeo

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Where do I get untreated pellets?

I call 3 places, and they said they never heard of untreated? Lowes was one of them.

I guess it is supposed to automatically be treated in order for flames, soo it is not making sense to them or me, that there would be untreated wood stove pellets.

PLEASE respond asap, we are bringing home our new Bunny, named Dakota in one week, want to have all my supplies

THANK YOU!

Victoria Perrone

Old 10-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #14
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 670 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 893

Most are safe. What you are looking for are any that do NOT say "accelerant added," or "with accelerant."

I have yet to find any that actually did have accelerant added.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #15
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 670 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 893

It looks like your Lowes has "Golden Fire" wood pellets. They have no additives but are made from douglas fir. Some suggest not using pine even in pellet form. Others say it is fine.

"Green Team" and "Bayou" brands are also 100% natural. These two are both made of hardwoods. Good options.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:34 AM   #16
dozeyblueromeo

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Awesome thank you!

It is such a relief, when you don't have to do MORE research when I have Groups like these to turn to, for a quick to the point answer. It gets soo exhausting trying to figure everything out

GOD BLESS YOU!

Victoria

Old 12-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #17
Bill Jesse

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have used wood pellets for years. I find what they use for horse stalls or pellet stoves. For my indoor hutches I put down a layer of pellets then cover them with thick newspaper and finally covered by hay. The papers get soiled if the rabbits do not use the litter box and I change out the papers daily along with soiled hay.
For the litter box I put an inch or so of pellets in the bottom and then cover them with plastic grating, the kind you see in fluorescent light fixtures and then hay. The grating is not as thin as wire so I am not concerned with hurting the paws. The grating comes in 2x4 sheets and can be cut to shape with cutting pliers. It sits above the pellets so droppings will go through. The grating is expensive but often they have pieces which are damaged which they will reduce in price. Incidentally I wash the grates every day.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #18
mightyscotto

the paper pellets work great. I think you will be happy going that route.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
Sandee
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I use Kaytee Critter Litter. All my litter boxes have raised grates to keep my bunnies from contacting the litter and excrement.
This is the only place I use a wire grid. They seem to like to sit on them after eating. There are no bad smells.
The rest of the area is insulted flooring, or counter and hutch top.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #20
katiecrna
Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts

I tried care fresh for the first time, I just added a little over my pellets. My bunny is eating it lol . No more carefresh for us