Happy New Year Rabbits Online!

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Persuading the parents: Rabbits should be indoors

Old 12-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #11
katiecrna
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Your rabbit is so cute!! Is this setup in your room? Is he free range or will he be in that crate at night?

Old 12-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
katiecrna
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

What is the temperature outside where you live?

BouncingBunniez Likes This 
Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #13
BouncingBunniez

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelons View Post
Is George even neutered?

You may end up having some issues with him inside if he is not. Especially since he has been outside.
Yes George is neutered but... the main issues for me is will George enjoy being inside? He has been outside the majority of his life. So I guess the question is:

How can you acclimate a outdoor bunny without getting them to stressed out?

I was considering small steps like when I bring him indoors at night and slowly acclimate him through that but in reality like everyone else has written I can cause A LOT of stress on him if I do that or the trial period.

Maybe a longer trial period? I have seen a week to a month done?

Sorry for my rambling on...

If you guys can help that would be great.

-BouncingBunniez and George Washington

Old 12-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #14
BouncingBunniez

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecrna View Post
Your rabbit is so cute!! Is this setup in your room? Is he free range or will he be in that crate at night?
Hi katiecrna,
Thank you! The set up is in my room and a little into the hallway... He is free to roam around house but isn't really familiar with the other parts. I'm planning to get him a crate and some NIC grids for the future just because my setup for him is growing bigger and bigger and I'd like to keep it more compact otherwise it's a handful to clean...

At night he is free ranged still.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #15
BouncingBunniez

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecrna View Post
What is the temperature outside where you live?
As of right now it's 21C/70F but it's only morning so it does get hotter throughout the day. As long as it doesn't get up to extreme temps like 80? It will be ok!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 531 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Be careful about letting him just freely roam. Better to keep him confined to the sections shown in your photos. That makes things easier for him (smaller area to get used to) and will prevent any accidents. If he gets loose and chews furniture or cords, your parents aren't likely to appreciate that. It can take time to bunny proof an area. and often that is from trial and error. As he gets more comfortable with his new set up, he may become more bold and test his boundaries.

He sure looks relaxed in the photo of him inside. I agree that he should remain inside for awhile. Taking him inside and out is not helpful and doesn't help him transition -- it just makes it more confusing and difficult for him since his environment would keep changing. Better to just let it be one change and then he can adapt sooner/quicker.
BouncingBunniez Likes This 
Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #17
BouncingBunniez

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue eyes View Post
Be careful about letting him just freely roam. Better to keep him confined to the sections shown in your photos. That makes things easier for him (smaller area to get used to) and will prevent any accidents. If he gets loose and chews furniture or cords, your parents aren't likely to appreciate that. It can take time to bunny proof an area. and often that is from trial and error. As he gets more comfortable with his new set up, he may become more bold and test his boundaries.

He sure looks relaxed in the photo of him inside. I agree that he should remain inside for awhile. Taking him inside and out is not helpful and doesn't help him transition -- it just makes it more confusing and difficult for him since his environment would keep changing. Better to just let it be one change and then he can adapt sooner/quicker.
Thank you for the info! I'll make some improvements and talk about the stress with my parents.

Tags
housing, lonely, outdoor, parent, rabbit